• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mods for STALKER, Version 1.005

Polygon

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2005
polygon.redorchestragame.com
Hey guys,

I'm a big STALKER player, and unfortunately, I noticed many of the former mods I used to play with simply crash my game due to the new patch. I was wondering if any of you out there could list the mods you are currently using with the new patch that definitely work. I'm looking mainly for any SP mods.

This thread will probably help out any others in the same situation.

Thanks,
Poly

http://stalker-redux.phrozin-tt.com/

This is currently my favourite mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R, But it seems that they haven't released a 1.0005-compatible yet.
It's a bit more challenging but I highly recommend this to anyone who plays S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

The main changes are...
more realism: heavily tweaked/revamped aiming system & weapon balance, feels more balanced in a way.
a new weapon: the classic 7.62mm AKM-47 plus 7.62 M43 ammo for it (only available at traders)
New features such as the ability to buy anomaly detectors in various levels (the best one can pinpoint the exact location of the anomaly on you minimap)

Lurk around their forum frequently, because the mod page's news section is not really up-to-date.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I am still running Stalker at version 1.003, have heard nothing but bad things about the later patches. For serious modding I'd say first off you need the 'Smart Mod Manager', there's link in the Stalker forums somewhere (or you can Google it). It makes installing and uninstalling combinations of different mods a breeze.

After that some quality mods I can recommend are;

Real Weapon Names 1.1 - does what the title suggests
Pitch Black v3 - darker and much more realistic nights, very fun.
ABC Sleep Mod - you have a sleeping bag in your inventory with which you can sleep
Rules of Engagement - makes the AI act better in general, they'll flee, shoot wildly and not pin point you in the dark or cover

They may or may not work with 1.005 I have no idea.

I am also running a damage mod but it is slightly of my own creation, I started using Fabio83's mod but it was criminally hard with 1 shot deaths. So I tuned the mod's damage values myself to reflect what I though was a happy medium between the default 'bullet sponge enemies' and reality. Enemies now go down with 3-6 solid hits depending on weapon, Fabio's mod was a great base with some of it's features (like no zoom in iron sights).

There's also a wounding mod out there I've hear about which sounds pretty cool, makes the AI react to bullets in various ways, might try it out.

Upvote 0
http://stalker-redux.phrozin-tt.com/

This is currently my favourite mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R, But it seems that they haven't released a 1.0005-compatible yet.
It's a bit more challenging but I highly recommend this to anyone who plays S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

The main changes are...
more realism: heavily tweaked/revamped aiming system & weapon balance, feels more balanced in a way.
a new weapon: the classic 7.62mm AKM-47 plus 7.62 M43 ammo for it (only available at traders)
New features such as the ability to buy anomaly detectors in various levels (the best one can pinpoint the exact location of the anomaly on you minimap)

Lurk around their forum frequently, because the mod page's news section is not really up-to-date.

I'd also HIGHLY recommend the Redux mod. It totally changed the game for me for the better. The first sections of the game are signifigantly more challanging though. Trying to take out the Military roadblock is that much harder due to the new, more realistic damage values. No longer does a rifle somehow magically make a standardized rifle round do lots more damage. That means if you get hit with a 7.62, you're going to be in a world of hurt. It also means if you put one or two well placed pistol rounds into a guy's chest, he's going down.

It basically tweaks everything else too to make a more rich experience. There's no "best" gun. Because of the new damage, the soviet weapons are still viable into the late game. So you end up choosing weapons based on real world considerations, like weight, abundance of ammunition, and ergonomics (ie. handling, sight picture, scope preference). Radiation can be a nasty nasty concern in certain areas, as even the best suits no longer knock out 100% of the radiation. It also doesnt' add any annoying crap like free super-armor or trader selling everything.

This is the all-in-one choice if you want a simple and comprehensive mod. Certainly a good reason to stay at 1.003

Upvote 0
What bad things have you heard? So far, the later patches are working great. They even offloaded some things to separate cores or whatever in the 1.004 patch.
On the Stalker boards there's been talk of performance and especially prefetching issues with 1.004 and 1.005. May just be the usual post-patch *****ing you always get about real or imagined problems though. However looking at their changelogs and the fact that the game runs beautifully for me as is (with all my favourite mods) I don't want to take the plunge just yet.

Upvote 0
I'd also HIGHLY recommend the Redux mod. It totally changed the game for me for the better. The first sections of the game are signifigantly more challanging though. Trying to take out the Military roadblock is that much harder due to the new, more realistic damage values. No longer does a rifle somehow magically make a standardized rifle round do lots more damage. That means if you get hit with a 7.62, you're going to be in a world of hurt. It also means if you put one or two well placed pistol rounds into a guy's chest, he's going down.

It basically tweaks everything else too to make a more rich experience. There's no "best" gun. Because of the new damage, the soviet weapons are still viable into the late game. So you end up choosing weapons based on real world considerations, like weight, abundance of ammunition, and ergonomics (ie. handling, sight picture, scope preference). Radiation can be a nasty nasty concern in certain areas, as even the best suits no longer knock out 100% of the radiation. It also doesnt' add any annoying crap like free super-armor or trader selling everything.

This is the all-in-one choice if you want a simple and comprehensive mod. Certainly a good reason to stay at 1.003
I tried out an earlier version of Redux and wasn't that impressed, it was more a fact of while I liked some features others I didn't. So I rolled back and added single mods to make the game how I wanted it.

The damage for one wasn't all that great, armor still made people ungodly bullet sponges. They also had no trouble seeing you in the darker nights (at least with Pitch Black v3 their detection values are tweaked). I also really hated the invisible anamolies, I could see reason to have them less visible, but totally invisible can make some parts an utter nightmare.

I think a good step for it would be to make things optional for the end user.

Upvote 0
What version of Redux was this, because I don't remember having those problems.

The damage for one wasn't all that great, armor still made people ungodly bullet sponges. .

Only the highest armor suits would do this. I can't remember points where I saw anyone taking more than two or three rifle rounds and still stay alive. Even guys in military exoskeletons, though sometimes those can be tough. If you're using pistol-caliber weapons or a shotgun and shooting at someone in a kevlar vest with ceramic plates, then of course they're going to absorb a lot. I usually go for the headshots though. The slug rounds for the shotgun are particularly effective for knocking out armored guys in the early-mid game.

They also had no trouble seeing you in the darker nights (at least with Pitch Black v3 their detection values are tweaked).

In the version I played, I've had bandits and such walk right past me...unless of course I've got my headlamp on or I'm running around like a maniac making noise. Also not that once you start firing at someone, you just gave away your position unless you've got a supressor equiped. I was able to fairly effectively stalk around using nightvision and a suppressed AK for a good portion of the game. I also think that some of the enemies employ nightvision, and are able to see you in the dark (though I might be wrong on this).

I also really hated the invisible anamolies, I could see reason to have them less visible, but totally invisible can make some parts an utter nightmare.

Well, they sell detectors. The higher versions integrate with your nightvision and make a good number of anomolies visible in your goggles. Untill, rely on the beeps and use your bolts to spot the "hot zones" from the anomolies.

What version of Redux were you running?
It also might be a difference in play style. I generally walk everywhere, try and choose my shots carefully, and keep my distance. I never really ran into the anomolies that often once I got a detector.
Overall the mod forced me to change the way I played to adjust to the new rules.

Upvote 0
Is there mod that makes the NVG actually work? It seems all they do is turn the screen green and actually make it harder to see things.

There are three different "qualities" of NVGs. The blurry one you describe is kind of like the old Generation 1 goggles. They suck balls, but in pitch black they're better than nothing. Then there's a better quality one, which is a LOT clearer and more useful. Then there's the best quality one, which is similar to the Generation 4 googles. That one is crystal clear and has retains some muted colors, instead of just being green and black.

The better quality the suit, the better the NVG. The STALKER suit has the crap quality one, but as you go up the line things get better. The scientist suits usually have great NVG, as well as the high end military gear.

If you're playing an unmodded game though, NVG doesn't really help that much for two reasons: 1.) The nights are hardly dark at all. and 2.) Enemies can still see you from a mile away so you might as just well use your headlamp. I didn't learn the quality of the NV in the game untill I started modding for darker nights.

Upvote 0
These are the best NVGs and IMO the difference is marginal.

In order to get NV to work properly in Stalker I had to lower my bightness in game a tad and then mess about with contrast/gamma so it looked normal during the day and dark at night. I believe NV in stalker only 'lights up' brightness (or lack off it) and does not effect any darkness brought along with contrast/gamma changes.

Put this together with a darker nights mod and an increased torch distance one and youll find it realisticly dark at night, the only light comming from fires, torches and even the moon in some mods. You'll even find the crappy green nightvision useful.

Upvote 0
I still have STALKER 1.0003, because of three mods:

STALKER AliVe
Red75's Coop Mod
Freeplay/Blowout Mod by Dezowave

Downgrading to 1.0003 is worth doing just for the co-op mod, I swear to god, there is nothing like going on a trek in the bloodsucker village with Oleg Gusarov...:D

But I'm still waiting for that russian mod, AMK. Damn that mod is hot! I tried an untranslated version of it, I had my gun out and Wolf kept refusing to talk to me with it out, eventually he slugged me and I dropped my rifle, it was so unexpected!

Upvote 0