• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Laptop

mahnsikir that acer looks pretty nice! Only problem is that the price is quite a bit more than I was prepared to pay, we'll see

On another note, how does it compare to the laptop I was looking at at the top of thread? Does the slightly faster processor and the different graphx card make much of a difference?

Also, how does the "256MB dedicated RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS with 1GB of TurboCache memory" frpom the Acer compare to the "GeForce 8400MG 128MB" from the laptop I was looking at? Are they both dedicated cards?

Alot of questions I know, but hey, its a big purchase and I know nothing about computers!

Once again, thanks all :)

PS, @Dcode, the laptop isn't for work (ie. a job), rather I'm a student and need it for that type of work, sorry to cause confusion!

Upvote 0
questions.....

Well im not to sure about the different performances but the processors clock speed makes hardly any difference at all but the laptop you looked at only has 2mb cache as opposed to 4mb so may make a bit of difference but mostly only in more modern games, though im no expert.

I dont know too much about the 8400m but it looks like it is 128mb dedicated so thats okay for gaming you may have to lower the textures though. From this websiteclicky its clock speeds arnt greatly less than the 8600gt (could be overclockable as newer laptops can take a we bit of it but id check some owners forums for the Asus before you try anything) and its 16x shared pixel/vertex shader pipelines (against 32 for 8600) will still be good for RO. !*Edit*! the one in the ASUS a 8400m G only has 8 pipelines but have a look on the link above to check the difference.

For reference my old ati 9700m 128mb was fine for textures etc but having only 8 shader pipe lines it suffered with all the fancy shaders in dx 9 but the 8400m GT should handle them much better.

As well as looking at notebook.net look at the forums on notebook review as you will probably find some people who have got the laptop and will have posted any problems or praises that they have with it.

Oh and tubocache is alot of crap and hardly makes any difference with actual game performace but makes it boot quicker..maybe...sometimes...

Another thing to think about is that some laptops have just had a little price drop since the summer so if your in no rush you would probably be able to get a bargain after christmas.

Edit: Im not to sure about your desktop speeds but i would imagine that the ASUS laptop would be a good replacment. Maybe a bit slower in older games but faster in newer games, though I know relativly nothing about desktop specs from the geforce 6 era

Last edited:
Upvote 0