• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Name That March at the London's Lord Mayor's Dinner

Gamburd

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007
Detroit, MI
BBC America World News showed a little of Prime Minister Gordon Brown's speech at the Lord Mayor of London's Dinner from last evening.

As the P.M. walked through the large dining hall, the guests clapped slowly while a march was being played.

I've heard this march before; I've heard it played in Canada also, usually when there is a state event, such as when an very important foreign dignitary visits.

It was also featured in the the film Young Winston Churchill, in the scene in which Churchill is shown graduating from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and is marching in cadet uniform.

I have several Royal Marines Band's albums, but it's not on any of those recordings; what is the name of this march??

No, that's not it; I listened to something on Comcast Rhapsody that said it was Gay Gordon's, but neither the youtube or the Comcast Rhapsody tune was what I heard.

No, this is more "pomp and cirumstance" type of a march (it's not from Elgar's Pomp & Cirumstance marches): it sort of like goes like this: "Bump Ba-Dah- Dah!!-Dah!!! (pregnant pause) da-da-da-da-da--da--dah."

I've only heard a few time, but that is the opening of it.

I've heard more British military music than probably most people in the United States, but I still don't know the name of this one.

This march is famous; probably just a few notches below "God Save the Queen" and "Rule Britannia." It is really just a refrain that keeps repeating over and over and over.

It tends to be played when very important foreign dignitaries come to visit.

A band played it as Gordon Brown entered the Lord Mayor's Banquet Hall; the guests I guess have a custom of slowly clapping as the music plays.

I always thought a very nice piece of British military music was "The Day Thou Gave Us" which is based on an English hymn, and would be played at the close of the day. I saw the Royal Marine Band live when they made a tour of North America years ago, and I think they played that (it's on the recording I bought).

Thanks for trying though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*BUMP*

Been searching for the name of this Slow March for many years; now, today, I have finally found out the name of the tune.

It is called "Scipio"!

The music is based on a piece of music written by the composer Handel.

It is the very first march played in this set of marches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-IoH9VCVXg&feature=related

Riddle solved.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0