• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

CoD 4 Visuals - pwn pwn pwn

For all the people who moan about the CoD singleplayer, GET OVER IT! CoD always was and always will be a cinematic "linear" singleplayer game. They make it this way to achieve the correct atmosphere and cinematic effect that they want and they have pulled this off very well.

As for "smoke and mirrors" who gives a damn, it looks awesome, much better than most games even with some slightly dodgy spec maps. The multiplayer is much better with fewer bugs, there are now unlockable achievements much like BF2. Now while this doesn't appeal to some it does to the masses, and thats what making a successful game is all about. Infinity Ward are in this to make money, we must know this from the debacle of CoD2 so don't go expecting them to push the boundaries of the genre. Its one of the most solid games I have played in the modern theatre, beats GRAW 2 and BF2 easily in my eyes.

Upvote 0
CoD2 at the time in DX9 mode barley ran on anything.

Yes, well running CoD2 on a combine harvester isn't advisable.

LOOL - I see what you did there. :D

I agree with sam that to moan about a company using alleged 'tricks' to make a game look better is like saying - "they just made this food tasty to con us into thinking we were eating a good meal".

As regards ways of making a game look better within the limits allowed by optimisation: all bets are on imo.

One aspect of CoD4 I did actually find a bit objectionable was the AC-130 episode. Radio chatter between a buncha yahoos blowing crap out of grey fuzzy images that can't fight back? you get enuff of that stuff posted on the internet without putting it in a game.

Strange word to use in the context of modern (or any other form of) warfare but it seems 'unsporting'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Overall, I agree with Sam, although I like GRAW2 quite a bit. It's a blast in coop mode and the multiplayer would be good too, if it wasn't for 99 per cent of the servers running stupid deathmatch gametypes instead of the pretty good assault vs. recon mode. That debacle kind of reminds me of the Danzig 24/7 issue US players seem to have with RO.

I will probably buy CoD 4 for the multiplayer part (singleplayer demo didn't convince me, again i think GRAW2 does that better). Oh, and what's the issue with CoD2: I think it's great in LAN games and runs quite well on even my 2003 Pentium 4 with radeon 9800.

Upvote 0
Yes, well running CoD2 on a combine harvester isn't advisable.

And how would you go about running software on a combined harvester cleaver sh!t? :p

Oh, and what's the issue with CoD2: I think it's great in LAN games and runs quite well on even my 2003 Pentium 4 with radeon 9800.

When you set the rendering mode to Direct X 7 it ran really well. I hit about 200FPS on my video card at the time (X1800XT). However if you set the render to use Direct X 9 features, which looked very nice with all its shadered textures and HDR lighting - it ran awful. At least on the high end hardware at the time (7800GTX & X1800XT).

Upvote 0
Overall CoD4 is a good and fun game for people to kill some time.You dont have to use the brain so much as playing RO,what you need to do is spray the gun and run.The ranking system ,the shot through wall thing, the weapon mix and match option and the quality of graphic are very nice.But I think CODUO is still the best of the series.

Upvote 0
Companies do make food artificially tasty to make people think they've had a good meal lol.

You must not live in America. MSG in Chinese food, artificial flavors in all other food, it happens all the time! You can make cardboard taste like steak with the right chemicals!

Hmm . . . That's exactly what COD4 is . . . cardboard dressed up to make people think it's steak. The steak is found elsewhere. (Hint: It starts with a 'C')

Upvote 0
i really liked this game, it felt a lot like playing through some kinda cheesey movie (particularly the brit sections) in places...btw thats a good thing still doesnt mean it isnt gritty etc. I wish they'd had more US military stuff though those missions were great but there were only what like 4 of em? The game was a bit short and i guess at some point in time if they are gunna keep resurectting price i'd like to see him in the role of bog standard british infantry rather than always using the brits as the special forces. Overall though it really grabbed my attention, i have many personal reasons for disliking IW but this is a good game.

and yeh i have to say i have taken a swipe at IW for using the old engine at times however i only ever did it when they were saying pre CoD2 that it was a completely new engine...they've done some great work with it and produced a great game although i wish the spec maps wudnt make things glow in the dark sometimes.

Upvote 0
Companies do make food artificially tasty to make people think they've had a good meal lol.

You must not live in America. MSG in Chinese food, artificial flavors in all other food, it happens all the time! You can make cardboard taste like steak with the right chemicals!

Hmm . . . That's exactly what COD4 is . . . cardboard dressed up to make people think it's steak. The steak is found elsewhere. (Hint: It starts with a 'C')

Do you realize that you make no sense? At all?

"Damn, Tripwire just added bloom to the 2.5 engine to make it look better. WHAT BULL****!!!!!!"

The fact is, those "tricks" that you absurdly keep insulting are what keep the frame rates high, and the game looking good.

If you need to be elitist and insult the game, at least do it in a logical manner. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
A technique has general application. Tricks do not. Games with true dynamic lighting let you have day night cycles weather effects etc. COD4 does have some dynamic lighting but simulates a lot of this stuff with precalculated shadow textures. Essentially the gameplay (the satisfying part of the meal) is stultified by the limited palette made possible by these tricks.

Now you Know. And Knowing is Half the Battle. GI Joe.

Upvote 0
A technique has general application. Tricks do not. Games with true dynamic lighting let you have day night cycles weather effects etc. COD4 does have some dynamic lighting but simulates a lot of this stuff with precalculated shadow textures. Essentially the gameplay (the satisfying part of the meal) is stultified by the limited palette made possible by these tricks.

Now you Know. And Knowing is Half the Battle. GI Joe.

Oh, you mean the effects we see in a video game are often prerendered or scripted? Wow, I didn't realize. Thanks for filling me in.

Do you possibly mean to suggest that a simulated, scripted environment that has taken years to develop has some precalculated elements, none of which detract from gameplay but instead enhance it?

Good god, to think I almost liked this game! Thank you, GI Elitist, for filling me in.

Upvote 0
NOU.jpg

Upvote 0
Oh, you mean the effects we see in a video game are often prerendered or scripted? Wow, I didn't realize. Thanks for filling me in.

Do you possibly mean to suggest that a simulated, scripted environment that has taken years to develop has some precalculated elements, none of which detract from gameplay but instead enhance it?

Good god, to think I almost liked this game! Thank you, GI Elitist, for filling me in.

ROFL

although i have to say premade textures with shadows on them do often annoy me but the other effects i have nothing against.

Upvote 0
Im thinking about picking this one up myself.

Since Im a gun guy I want to know the weapons list. Anyone know where to find that?

Do you get to play both sides or is that only for online play?

The latter

Though there could be (many) more guns, you play with weapons available in the SP. Also you have the MP44 thrown in as an unlockable weapon online!

Upvote 0