• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

is there any good monitor out there?

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
I need a good 22" or 24" monitor for my PC, but I need one that looks good

I need good image quality
I want the black colors to look black instead of crappy grey
and I dont want to see the top of the screen darker than the bottom

It doesnt matter if its LCD or CRT(if they still exist)

I want the black colors to look black instead of crappy grey
and I dont want to see the top of the screen darker than the bottom
The first one should be fixable by playing with contrast/brightness/gamma/color settings either directly on your monitor or in the driver options of your driver. The second proble sounds mighty strange. Either the monitor is broken, or you have something near it that emits a magnetic field. For example speakers. Move them away!

Upvote 0
With NVidia cards you can enable "Digital Vibrance" to make the colors more, well, vibrant. A CRT looks as good as an LCD then. As for black looking like grey: That happens on every monitor that is set too bright. Its not a question of quality but a question of settings.

Decide whether the added size would be worth it or not. The colors shouldn't be a problem on todays machines. Today, lol, I have my monitor for more than 6 years now and it still works like a charm and the colors look great. And it wasn'T some super expensive one. Just a 19" one I baught in a discounter (Aldi in Germany)!
So, don't worry too much. If you buy it in a dedicated computer shop you should be allowed to see it in action before you buy it, so you can even check out the colors if you are really oversuspicious.

Upvote 0
I tried some LCD, and there is a minimum of blackness, I touch the brightness the gamma and the contrast to make everything darker, the brightness disapears, but the black does not get more black, everything at minimum with a black screen in a dark room, the screen is still doing a lot of light

Upvote 0
27" or higher, accept no substitutes!!!

If I could do it all again I would go for the 30" undoubtebly!!

Pic of my Dell wide 27" below:

pict0436qw1.jpg

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW and its amazing. I think its 24", but it says it has a 2ms response time and a contrast ration of 3000:1.

I'm extremely pleased with it. The black areas look much more black than my old CRT I had (still love'em though) and havent noticed ghosting yet (there still is that extremely slight blending common of all LCD's, even top of the line, but it gives an extremely subtle motion blur effect [nothing more than real life spinning]. Maybe my eyes just pick the little details out :p).

Overall, the Image quality seems much better and is a noticable difference.

Upvote 0
Samsung are kind enough to put the size in the model number, so 226BW is 22". Im using a Acer AL2423W atm (24"), got nothing to complaing about it. it does what its supposed to do without any extra, contrast is ok (1000:1) and the same with the response time (6ms), all in all a good and cheap (for its size) monitor

Upvote 0
You ppl are crazy- Ive seen so many LCDs and none could produce a CRT quality. The last one I checked was a 29" wide-screen 1800$ worth and still the colours looked lifeless, the textures flat and the pixels distinguishable. Games looks like absolute crap. I dont know what you guys are using but its probably an LCD out of this world, back from the future or from somewhere over the rainbow.

Something must be wrong with me so move along- no intention to troll or flamebait here.

Upvote 0
You ppl are crazy- Ive seen so many LCDs and none could produce a CRT quality. The last one I checked was a 29" wide-screen 1800$ worth and still the colours looked lifeless, the textures flat and the pixels distinguishable. Games looks like absolute crap. I dont know what you guys are using but its probably an LCD out of this world, back from the future or from somewhere over the rainbow.

Something must be wrong with me so move along- no intention to troll or flamebait here.

What resolution? I made sure to get a gaming quality resolution, 1680 x 1050. Its a larger resolution than 1280 x 1024 that I was using before (though the extra on the width is becuase of widescreen).

Upvote 0
I would get a 22" LG Flatron. I love mine, and it has some of the best specs out there. 2ms response time (3,000-1) contrast ratio. ~$300. It also has a flat(not glossy) screen, less glare... I hate glossy screen LCD's.

I would not spend a dime more for a LCD, because for like under a thousand bucks you can get a 50" Plasma in 1080. with a 30,000-1 contrast ratio and bazillions of colors.

If they weren't so friggin huge I would have a CRT.

Upvote 0
What resolution? I made sure to get a gaming quality resolution, 1680 x 1050. Its a larger resolution than 1280 x 1024 that I was using before (though the extra on the width is becuase of widescreen).

I cant remember. As I said- I checked so many of them at the time cos it was- and still is- really hard to find a CRT where I live in (everybody are herdhyped for the flaties here so only few still import good ol CRTs).

But remember- 1680x1050 is swell for 19-22" but on bigger screens its not very impressive.

Upvote 0