• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need to ask a question about the G43

I imagine the G43 will be my first weapon to use, I like the weapon from DOD.

I liked the g-43 cos of the sound and mid clip reloading. Other then that, its a clone so you're not really playing with a unique weapon.

I have a fealing you will be disapointed when you try the gun in RO. The 41 is miles better (if you forget the borked reload :rolleyes:)

Upvote 0
The G41 is an intermediate step between the K98 and the G43. If you're used to managing a K98 in the field (IE: reloading and such), you'll be quite deadly with the G41 which is more accurate and (to me at least) has a better sight picture than the G43. Plus it kicks less.

The G43 isn't identical to the SVT-40, though. It has a different sight picture and I believe it kicks more. Although that could be because I almost always fix a bayonet on my SVT when I use it.

As for the sniper rifles, the way I play sniper I find them to be largely useless. To me a "short range sniper" isn't really doing his job or isn't really necessary. Sometimes, sure, but much of the time you can do just as well with a bolt action sniper rifle, or a standard unscoped semi-auto.

Upvote 0
One of the things I've noticed as I've become more and more seasoned in RO is that, somehow, the guns seem to handle just a bit differently. There subtle differences in some of the guns that throw you off. I think most people end up using the SVT-40 as thier first semi-auto since it's much more prolific, then move over the the G43. So when they eventually get to use a G43, it seems clunky. But a bit of practice shows that that isn't true.
Aye I've noticed this with myself. Started playing in July-August... definitely starting to appreciate the G43... the sights are just very precise so you have to have it RIGHT on the target... of course this is an advantage as well as you know exactly where the bullet is going. Still working the kinks out though, I'm still usually better with an SVT.

Oh and question, does fixing the bayo on the SVT reduce kick?

Upvote 0
Well, from the coder point of view:

For comparison, the bolt rifles -- K98, MN9130, MN44 -- have a spread of 50 (MN38 has a spread of 60;))
G41 has a spread of 100
G43 has a spread of 125
SVT40 has a spread of 150

Which is surprising, because the SVT feels like the most accurate of the weapons sometimes.

Recoil values are as follows, Horizontal/Vertical Maximum Angles

G41: 2400/700
G43: 2100/600
SVT: 2275/500

Make of it what you will!

Upvote 0
Is lower the values the better? Also, bullet drop should be reduced on the G43, should have a 10 value difference for the worse compared to the K98, the 8 mm Mauser round was known for it's extremely flat trajectory.

Also can someone give bullet drop stats for the rifles?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lower values are better, yes. Spread indicates how much the bullet will disperse, and a lower value for spread makes the shots, well, spread less (the P38 for instance has a spread of 825, and we know that certainly doesn't fire where it is pointing!). I am not sure what the recoil angle is measured in, but the lower the better. Unreal rotation seems to based out of 360 degrees or 2*pi radians is 65536 units, so for instance 90 degrees would be 16384 units. One can do the math I suppose, provided I am correct in how the game handles it.

Not sure how to calculate bullet drop, there is a value in the bullet files that is called BallisticCoefficient, not sure what effect this has on the bullet itself. There are also velocity values, and naturally something going at a higher velocity on the horizontal axis will drop less on the vertical per unit of x (or something to that effect, can't say that it will fall slower as of course the gravitational constant is effecting it no matter how fast it is moving).

Bullet velocities and Ballistic Coefficients are as follows:

Velocity
G41: 40724
G43: 39104
SVT: 40304

Coefficient
G41: 0.390
G43: 0.390
SVT: 0.370

I imagine the higher those values are the better, as with the MP40 for instance, it has a bullet velocity of 19952 and a coefficient of 0.160

Upvote 0
That means the G43 is borked, the G43 needs 900 values up for velocity or .40 coefficient. Honestly I hate to see a cool gun get nerfed compared to real life. In real life it had essentially the same velocity as the G41 if not more. Not to mention the SVT should have the lower value, it was well know for bad performance.

Upvote 0
Look I and most people have no problem killing with it. Its just the 'feel' of it that people dont like and you cant do anything about that! Well you could change the sound but thats it!

The gun is fine as is & has not been nerfed.

Other then the (sometimes) rediculous kick of the ppsh, TWI dont nerf guns! Every gun is as close to realism any WW2 game has to offer!

Upvote 0
The game is quite good, it follows in RO's steps. It is very tactical, and hitscan at the common ranges that you encounter in INS does not matter. Usually at 50-100 m not much bullet drop happens eh? :D

EDIT: Someone has to post a G43 killing video with basic things such as recoil without mouse compensation,ROF, and then go onto the killing ownage stuff.

IRL when you want to kill someone 50-100 meters taking a peak at you behind a wall it doesn't take .4-.6 seconds (you reaction time and bullet flight time). eh?!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D3terioNation said:
Every gun is as close to realism any WW2 game has to offer

I am sorry but I completely disagree. The MP-40 which had comparable accuracy and range with the Ppsh-41 (IRL) in game however the MP-40 is completely inferior to the Ppsh in range and accuracy ( there are guys that can hit you across the map with a ppsh41/ppd/pps). The Panzerfaust 60 which should be adequate to destroy tanks in one shot yet in game the PT soldat has to carry three of them in order to take out one tank with two fausts and slightly damage another with the last faust. The MG 42 which in game is difficult to repeatedly hit anything at ranges greater than 100 m. The obsolete PTRD which in game can destroy any tank. The satchel which is like a mini nuclear warhead. Armored beasts satchel is much more realistic. And the Ge 43 which acts like an underpowered weapon with too much bullet drop and unrealistic inaccuracy.

Hunt3r.jr said:
That means the G43 is borked, the G43 needs 900 values up for velocity or .40 coefficient. Honestly I hate to see a cool gun get nerfed compared to real life. In real life it had essentially the same velocity as the G41 if not more. Not to mention the SVT should have the lower value, it was well know for bad performance.

Yes, the Svt-40 was unliked by Russian troops for its less than adequate performance it was abit like the Ge41 ( due to its problems) for the Russians minus the accuracy though. The sniper variant was rare, generally performed poorly, and was used pretty much in the first part of the war. The Gewehr 43 had the same muzzle velocity (775 m/s (2,542 ft/s)/) as the Gewehr 41 and the barrel is the same as well (546 mm) so the round shouldn't have as much bullet drop as is being portayed.

Gewehr 43 said:
Sources please...

There are many sources that agree on this fact both German accounts and Allied testing of the weapon. Anyway Im not really interested in trying to prove what weapon was "prefered" over what honestly I could careless only in the Gewehr 43's excessive bullet drop and accuracy at medium to long range.

Here is one source though:

Gewehr43: A comprehensive guide said:
After the weapon's bureau of the army nullified their requirement that there be no holes drilled into the barrel itself for the gas-mechansim to work for the automatic rifle system, the company Walther went on to develop the Gewehr 43. This new semi-automatic rifle had the extraction nozzle drilled into the barrel and featured a removable 10-round magazine. The G 43 was a beautiful design which was much cheaper and faster to produce. The weapon's designation was later changed to Karabiner 43, abbreviated K 43, although the weapon really wasn't a carbine; it was envisioned to replace the Mauser Karabiner 98k as the standard infantry rifle. Production started in October 1943; total production until the end of the war was 402,713 including at least 53,435 sniper rifles: the well-designed and well-machined K 43 was a preferred sniper weapon and was fitted with the Zielfernrohr 43, also called ZF 4, scope with a magnification of 4x. The weapon could use the Schiessbecher device for firing rifle grenades and could use a Schalld

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So far I have only read a few accounts of the G43 being used as a sniper rifle and it indeed seems as if most snipers still preferred the K98k. There's a pretty interesting and well known article interviewing three German snipers and two of them said a semi-auto was not suitable for the role because of limited accuracy and the fact that you can't operate the system as quietly as a bolt action. Still there are the famous G43-"suicide snipers" of the Normandy campaign that would often take out whole squads of GIs before inevitebly getting killed themselves.

What is true however is that the G43 and G41 should have pretty much identical muzzle velocity and that it should be higher than that of the K98k.

Upvote 0
So far I have only read a few accounts of the G43 being used as a sniper rifle and it indeed seems as if most snipers still preferred the K98k. There's a pretty interesting and well known article interviewing three German snipers and two of them said a semi-auto was not suitable for the role because of limited accuracy and the fact that you can't operate the system as quietly as a bolt action. Still there are the famous G43-"suicide snipers" of the Normandy campaign that would often take out whole squads of GIs before inevitebly getting killed themselves.

What is true however is that the G43 and G41 should have pretty much identical muzzle velocity and that it should be higher than that of the K98k.

Well, historically soldiers are resistant to new weapons due to familairity with the older ones. For example, in the Pacific theater, many p-40 warhawk pilots hated the new P-38 lightning. (without questions a superior fighter aircraft). Problem was that in combat, any unfamilair weapon could get you killed fast so it was easy to find fault with them and stick with the known quanity. I remember reading account of old line soldiers regretting the issue of the new garand rifle. They just loved their old very accurate springfields so much.

Upvote 0

Wait a second, why would the G43 and G41 have higher muzzle velocities than the K98? That makes no sense. The three weaposn all use the same ammunition, right? And the semi-autos use a portion of the gas used to propel the bullet as the mechanism by which the bolt is cycled, yes? So, why would they have higher muzzle velocities?

Upvote 0