• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best Free MMORPG?

takadi

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
Yes yes I know I know, "life" is the best free mmorpg, fastest connection best graphics, whatev...but you can't kill monsters and increase strength and intelligence by drinking things.

Point aside, I played Maple Story but found that to be an utter waste of time. Anybody know a great free mmorpg that has great gameplay and doesn't get boring after a while?

Guild Wars has a one off fee, but its good for the money. Theres 4 versions of GW, each with its own PVE storyline that you can play with a character you already got to max level, a new one starting from top level or a new character starting at first level. Its not really a game about levels (theres only 20 and you get them quite fast) but about winning set goals (instanced missions) with pretty much set equipment. You do get better equipment as you play and people trade, but you never really need to have the "uber gear" like in other MMOs. Once you get to level 20 you will have easy access to top level armour and you should have a good enough weapon by then. Uber armour is basically the same as normal but looks different. You can get uber weapons but its only a slight difference, and who cares if its PVE. If you just want to do some PVPing you can make a new character at top level with free top level equipment (that only that char can use and you can't sell them ofc).

PVP is the only reason I still play it personally. PVE is fine but gets repetitive. In PVP you are on a level playing-field - all people at the same level, same level equipment, same number of players per team, and only 8 skills (special attacks, heals etc depending on your class) that you can take to a battle. You can be 1 of 10 classes (think its 10 with all expansions) + have any class as secondary and theres many skills per class. But each skill is basically a variant on a damage type - direct damage, damage over time, hex (negative effects on casters or melee chars etc). So you can have quite balanced PVP games if your healer is prepared for each type of skill. To get skills you either unlock them in PVE by building a character up or you get points to spend on skills by winning PVP games. You can just go to Random Arenas and join a random team or get more involved by joining a clan and playing more competitively. You can get each version for about​

Upvote 0
Is Guild Wars just like a big on-line gang fight with human characters???

Or are there monsters to kill with treasure, and Goblins and trolls and skeletons???

Also, is there a single player version with monsters like Goblins, Trolls, and skeletons, sort of like Oblivion or Morrow Wind.

Are there different races that your character can be like an elf or dwarf??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
See the problem here are the mutually exclusive terms:

"MMORPG", "free", and "has great gameplay and doesn't get boring after a while"

any one of the three is relatively simple, but put the three together and you get a tall order indeed.

Actually, thinking of free online, theres a nice online game called NavyField(http://navyfield.com/), but thats about WWII battleships, unless you're into that kind of thing.

Theres also one like it with tanks, but i dont remember what its called.

But if you're looking for classic MMORPG i'd say Maple Story being the only one i'm any familiar with but who isn't. Pharnakes has a couple, but i really can't add much to whats already been mentioned.

Upvote 0
Is Guild Wars just like a big on-line gang fight with human characters???

Or are there monsters to kill with treasure, and Goblins and trolls and skeletons???

Also, is there a single player version with monsters like Goblins, Trolls, and skeletons, sort of like Oblivion or Morrow Wind.

Are there different races that your character can be like an elf or dwarf??

Theres 2 distinct modes - PVE and PVP - in PVE you start a character (or use an existing char in a different expansion) and get quests to complete either by yourself solo (which will be v hard), with some AI companions or team up with other players (best way), though as with most online games you can be stuck with bad players, so my advice is to be a monk yourself - that way you don't rely so much on your team, and monk is the most fun class imo, but with other classes you might get to enjoy the fighting side more rather than looking at health bars like you do as monk. Theres a variety of monsters to kill, depending mostly on the area you're at in the game - List of Creatures . You get loot from em like money, crafting material, runes to put on your armour, dyes etc and a reward at the end of a quest like new skills, money etc. Theres side quests and primary's - you can go through the game just doing the primary ones if you want - its up to you. All playable classes are Humans, but theres dwarfs and things as NPCs, depends where you are in the game and which version you have. A Review
That reviews for the original game (Prophesies). Therses also 3 expansions (that are standalone - you don't need prophesies - but its a good place to start) - Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North. Best place for general info: GW Wiki

I like it. Bored of PVE but I still do PVP.

Upvote 0
Is player v. player just like one big gang fight between humans??

Also, how would you compare this game to Morrow Wind and Oblivion??

I sort of preferred MorrowWind to Oblivion.

Although Oblivion's graphics were better, there weren't too many monsters wandering around, just wolves and animals and a few kooks. The game seemed a lot more like questing, i.e. going from locale to locale and finding stuff.

Also, in Oblivion, the city guards were just too polite to you, and when you tried to open the door to a building, they would come and fine you.

Although MorrowWind had uglier graphics, I found it a little more enjoyable.

Oblivion had a few Goblins, not many (I kind of like Goblins and Orcs).

In MorrowWind, there were some dark elves and human character you had to kill, but it was mostly these ugly insect like creatures and big rats in the countryside and flying tyradactyl-like creatures.

There just didn't seem to be too many bands of Orcs and Goblins running around causing mayhem; MorrowWind had more humanoid creatures you could fight, but just a little more than Oblivion, not a lot.

Plus, if you stole something, and used the teleport spell to go to the desert 25 miles away, the first thing that would happen is some City Guard would come up to you and arrest you.

Well, were they notified by a phone call?? So much for a game that touts itself as letting you do whatever you want to do. I know laws have to be obeyed, but that just seemed completely unrealistic. It's 20th century law enforcement system in a medieval world.

I sort of got bored playing both of them, but maybe one day I'll play them some more.

Guild Wars doesn't have any Orcs or Goblins, but it does have do have ogres and trolls.

I still don't understand; in Player v. Environment, can you fight the trolls and ogres online with other players online??

If you can, why is the PVE part boring?? Is it that the AI stinks; its too easy to gang up on the monster and slay it??

And when you say everything is "instanced" what does that mean?? Can you explain that a little more???

And you just have to buy the games; there is no subscription fee whatsoever; you just buy the game??

I was going to get EverQuest because they recently came out with all the games in a box for $20.00; but you have to pay a monthly fee and screw that (a bunch of greedy Jacks). I think there also was this Arthurian type game called Dark Ages or Dark Camelot, but they also had a monthly fee and recently jacked it up.

Please rate all the Guild War games 1-10, ten being excellent, 5 neither good nor bad, and 1 being poor.

Also, are there any good Mods for the Guild War games???; it seems to have a pretty strong community that plays it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A video review: http://uk.gamespot.com/video/914653/6123668/guild-wars-video-review

And metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/guildwars?q=guild%20wars

The game is 90% about fighting stuff - no stealing or things like that - just combat and building your character up by getting new skills to play your roll in the team better. For eg you could play a warrior and be a tank - taking aggro because you have the best self defence skills and armour..or you could be an elementalist dealing the most damage but with weak armour hanging back..or a monk that heals everyone in the team (possibly the least involved character in whats happening because you can hardly take your eyes off the health bars..but it is the hardest to master and keeps you on your toes). All the quests are really just an excuse to send you off killing things..although you could pay attention to the quest info if you wanted, but they all boil down to the same thing...go and kill this boss..go collect 10 thingamajigs that certain creatures drop etc..go save the girl etc. But there is a storyline you will go though in each game which adds more depth.

You can just go off on your own exploring, killing a few things without quests if you want..theres collectors dotted about that will make you things if you bring them enough of a certain item that certain creatures drop. To start with you can play by yourself, but after the first chapter you will begin needing extra help or it gets too hard. You can have AI team mates (which are OK) or invite someone into your group and play together, automatically sharing the loot and XP. As you go through the game you need 4 team mates, then 6 then 8, and even 12 in some expansions.

Enemies are very varied, just look at that link I posted..theres giants, dragons, dinosaurs, char (the first main enemy type linked to the storyline..http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Charr), zombies, grawl (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Grawl) skeletons etc. The enemy type depends a lot on where you are up to in the game. Each expansion has its own enemies and theme..factions is oriental, nightfall is African themed and EOTN is back in the same place as Prophecies.

I've only played the first game in PVE mode all the way through..I got to pretty much the end in Factions (second game) but haven't gone back to it. I have only played one character (monk) so maybe I got bored of that. I have played 504 hours though in the last 29 months (handy feature I just checked ingame) with that char alone..and I played PVP for a while with him. The PVE can be very challenging, but I am more of a PVP type person, and I got a heck of a lot of hour of fun out of PVE tbh. There are areas specifically designed for top level play (very difficult - requires strategies and players that know what they're doing) and also you can play the missions in "Hard" mode now which I never played. Now I just do PVP with all different char types and have racked up 1013 hours total which isn't bad for about​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You could try http://www.anarchy-online.com/ Its a scifi based rpg thats free on the original game, but have to pay for the expansions, and theres three of those. This game is also about 6/7 years old, but doesn't look hardly that cartooney as some of the others do. This is one of few mmorpgs that I know of that lets you use swords, bows and arrows, pistols, shotguns, machine guns, ect... Quite a few professions, 2 that are expansion locked though. Plenty of quests and profession specific quests. And this game is still heavily populated, even has its own internet radio group at http://www.gridstream.org/ .

Upvote 0