• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help!! Pc Problems :(

hmm i seem to have fixed, seemed i had two trojans on my system that 3 av programs failed to find until XStalkerX found me some other stuff that wiped it clean. And yeh i stress tested everything with no errors so it had to be HD or software. Knowing my luck though in 48 hours ill be posting back here lol

Upvote 0
Rofl thanks moe...they seemed to have fixed the prob i'm not sure how long they've been on here but my PC seems to have a new lease on life, funny thing is that they weren't showing up as hogging cpu or ram but they were slowing my comp down a lot not sure how they managed to avoid 3 different AV programs, and all my other checks for that long though.

Upvote 0
aha! yet another update on this case (yes i know i'm getting sick and tired of it also). Everything seemed to be fine (memtest and proc test all came back showing no errors) no bad HD sectors, and power and temp are fine (down to 26 degrees C idle and never over 38 when running anything at high settings).

Anyway last night i fired up RO changed all my gfx settings to highest or high (keep the AA to x4 and the filtering to x8...which never used to crash my machine). Anyway i load into a map then bang comp restarts. Funny thing is this only happens on RO any RO mods (and company of heros). The point is it only happens on Steam games and it doesn't happen on all of them. I'm completely stumped now. Maybe my ram or mobo is bust again any ideas are appreciated but i've run everything i can and nothing seems to be broken. Again i thought maybe my new gfx was bust but then why can i run Crysis at 40+ fps with everything on high but not RO...could it be that the malware on my system damaged RO, RO Mods and COH somehow? why only those games why not Portal or HL2?

As you can see i'm literally out of ideas short of buying all new mobo, ram, processor and a new OS, formatting my HD and starting over.

p.s. cleary its not just unreal engine games (coz of COH) but just to make sure i also have other UE2.0 engine games (i know RO is 2.5) and none of those crash...in fact nothing else causes my machine to crash other than those 3 games....

Upvote 0
My friend who was having those problems had a desktop manager program he was using with his new computer. When he installed steam again and fired up a new copy of RO, BSOD! Tracked it down to that (it seems to be the culprit at the moment) they stopped.

Maybe something like that? Check Steam's site for compatability programs...

Upvote 0
just a little update...according to the nvidia temp monitor my GPU is running at 60degrees C which seems a little high (could be the problem), and i'm still not sure whether or not its my cpu over heating (thermal paste or heatsink prob). Again it could be ram. I checked the steam support options and the only thing is i'm often running ventrillo when i crash so could that be the prob? who knows. Anyway i'm gunna run orthos stress test when i get back from work see whats up....

Upvote 0
Ok so its down to 4 things:

A) Another peice of malware thats screwing up steam

B) Screwed up hardware (although why steam games only will test with orthos tonite)

C) Steam is messed up, will delete and reinstall the whole thing.

D) Evil Aliens, Controlled by Gabe Newell of Valve Software have invaded my computer in an evil plot to destroy RO modding and make me spend $$$$$$$...So RO modders watch out...you're next :p

p.s. Oh and maybe E) None of the above and i still have no idea...in which case i guess ill just reformat or rebuy hardware.

Upvote 0
my GPU is running at 60degrees C which seems a little high (could be the problem), Anyway i'm gunna run orthos stress test when i get back from work see whats up....

Apparently its safe up to about 70-85 degrees C, so if its only 60 thats fine, though it will go up when being used (if 60 is the temp when its not doing much).

If its various steam games, first make sure you remember username+password, then copy the whole "steamapps" folder somewhere else (or cut/paste), then add/remove steam, then run Crap Cleaner and kill it dead, restart, download and install steam again. Copy over just the steamapps/common/red orchestra to the same path in new steam folder and see if RO works now (just click install game and it should verify files and load). If it crashes get rid of steam again but don't copy over any files (common/ro) and let it download new copies and see if it works now. If its still not working it can't really be a problem with your game files because you ruled that out now. Copy back the original versions of your games (cos they are probably not the problem now). Assume you tried Verify integrity of game cache already? Oh and do you have to backup your mod stuff? thats not in steam too is it?

Then I would try reinstalling graphics drivers (add/remove, Driver Cleaner etc)...then I would be tempted to reinstall windows if I could back everything up..not too much of a chore if you have 2 HHD's or can backup in some way. Maybe theres a way to check windows is OK rather than formatting? If you can just copy over your original version of windows that might be best first so you don't have to back everything up..maybe save your registry first so games work and backup internet browser bookmarks and emails?

Upvote 0
If you use CrapCleaner get rid of Steam and all, do the sweep tool (you will have to re-enter your password for these forums and others).
Then run the Issues Tool.
Thats the one that gets rid of the real crap, old driver bits and all.

You can save your important password Cookies in the options menu, once cleaned up!

Upvote 0
thanks for the quick replies guys, yeh im tried verifying but ill give it another go cnt hurt. And yeh dnt worry ill back up all my mod stuff :D ive already run ccleaner but ill try reinstalling steam etc tonite, i mays well just wipe my RO stuff and COH stuff im not that fussed about the saved games, so i guess ill just unistall, delete my steam folder and start over. :D if that dnt work like i keep saying its money time.

Upvote 0
yeh that shud run steam fine :D, in fact it should beast it. Right so time for my daily update:

as of last night i
A) totally wiped steam and reinstalled, didn't help.....
B) Ran Orthos for 7.5 hours and everything came back fine

the question is now do i really want to try resintalling windows just for 2 damn games? hmmm and if that dnt work what is next (self pity lol)

Upvote 0
yeh i've run cclearner...i'm thinking now my AVs havent picked nething up and its ignoring everything i tell windows to do. So i guess reformat is my only option although i still think its most likely hardware related. I'll run memtest again tonite didnt try swapping out slots last time. If mobo or ram is broken ill just upgrade.

Upvote 0