• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Another Mapping Contest?

Shurek

Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2006
www.darkesthourgame.com
This one is addressed primarily to the folks over at TripWire. Any plans to sponsor another map contest this year?

There have been some darn good custom maps released from the community since Xenny won for Smolensk in last year's battle royale.

Just a thought to get the community psyched up again...;)

So many BIG scenarios that have yet to realized:
--Seelow Heights
--Pomerania and Silesia 1945
--Rostov na Donu
--Kiev
--More Kursk (BDJ was great, but come on people, is that all there is...and oh yeah, Orel, sorry)
--etc, etc.

Maybe TripWire could pick a battle or campaign - for instance "The Best Kursk map": tanks, CA, infantry - and let people go at it to come up with the best level that tops out both the historical and gameplay aspects of RO.

You know, one last big blowout for RO before TWI releases their next game!

Last edited:
My issue with a map contest (or a Tripwire sponsored one at least...) is that things that make certain maps unique will be stripped from them and replaced with stock content. I would rather preserve the integrity of Kriegstadt, for instance, than to get a prize to have it watered-down for the masses. If that were avoidable, then sure, it would be a good thing to have, yet I am more concerned with sticking to my philosophy.

Upvote 0
My issue with a map contest (or a Tripwire sponsored one at least...) is that things that make certain maps unique will be stripped from them and replaced with stock content. I would rather preserve the integrity of Kriegstadt, for instance, than to get a prize to have it watered-down for the masses. If that were avoidable, then sure, it would be a good thing to have, yet I am more concerned with sticking to my philosophy.

Yeah, look what they did to Mannikala, now it's lost all of it's Finnish flavor, I don't play it too often now.

Upvote 0
The BIGGEST nonsense i have read recently.

The question might be something different. But i don't chew it think of that question yourself....

I asked myself if it will be possible to have a mapping contest without prizes :rolleyes:

In my opinion it should be possible but I am not a mapper. Maps are developed without a contest but I think everybody would benefit from a mapping contest (who ever organizes it) and it shouldn't not be important what the winner gets.

Upvote 0
Yeah, look what they did to Mannikala, now it's lost all of it's Finnish flavor, I don't play it too often now.

Hmm,could you elaborate a bit on Mannikala?
I haven't really played it in the beta versions as I thought it was just another random and crappy custom map,only played it after it went stock.
What are the changes from custom to stock?

Upvote 0
Hmm,could you elaborate a bit on Mannikala?
I haven't really played it in the beta versions as I thought it was just another random and crappy custom map,only played it after it went stock.
What are the changes from custom to stock?

Wel, it used to have mainly Russian weapons for the Finns, since they used alot of captured equpment, but when TW got to it they felt the communuty might get "confused" and made the Finns use German weapons. Also they probably tweaked the gameplay a bit.

Upvote 0