• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Image] Screenshot & Movie Thread

The GTA games are all wonderfull pieces of art and irony. The fact that they are all more or less about violence or violent people just makes for a good framework for the games as they are shooters after all.

I play them not for the violence but for the driving around, the fooling around (jumping from roof-top to roof-top with motorbikes in Vice City; trying to fly the sawed off dodo in GTA III; jumping over oncoming trucks with a bicycle in GTA:SA and sooo much more) and for the humour and the references and homages they make.

Like, when you have to place a bomb into the car of someone who just went dining and you have to be back with the car before he is finished with his meal. When he gets out of the restaurant, he gets in his car and it blows up. So far so good. But then the camera flies back and focuses on the sign of the resaurant:
"Marco's Bistro: Eat 'till you explode!":D

Almost every mission is either a parody on something (in GTA III you have to kill a "strangely motivated undercover cop" called "Tanner". :D Driver, anyone!?), a joke on stereotypes (the voodoo aunt in Vice City... or the guy with the "big cohones" who looks exactly like a fat version of the knifethrowing dude from Rodriguez' "Desperado"), or it is so stupid and over-the-top that you can't help but find it funny.

And we haven't even talked about the radio stations so far!:eek:
"We are here to Press the Issue!"

Its sad that the games get reduced to their violence because of ignorant monkeys like Jack Thompson. They are so much more.

Its kind of like in Pulp Fiction. No one who didn't get his brain amputated before went to see the movie to see Brad getting shot or to see that infamous brain splattering onto the backseat of the car. Of course its violent, and of course its important for the movie. But what maks the movie are the awesome dialogues before, during and after those scenes. The humour, the irony, the absurdity. Its not a cheap splatter movie. Just like GTA aren't just cheap splatter games.

Upvote 0
You know I'm on the same page as you, right? :)
Of course.:)

Or the stupid dialogues in GTA:SA with your first girlfriend when you take her out (not even talking about the music that plays in the background, lol):
She: "One day I'm gonna open a beauty shop..."
He: "Yeah, yeah, veeeery interestin'."

One thing that always causes me to stop my bike just so I don't risk falling down and missing something is when Maurice Chavez interviews the nudist guy VC and Pastor Richards trys to shoot him. Its funny throughout but the end takes the cake.
"Shall I send him to hell, Maurice?"
"YES! ... I mean, no, NO!":D

The fakes ads in Vice City are awesome too:
"Everytime you buy a foreign car you are taking a hot meal off a hard working American's table."
Or the "your son might be a red" ad. :D

Upvote 0
Hehe, I knew you'd like it Athena :)

I ****ing love the GTA series. IMO Rockstar have never made a bad GTA game. They're all good and funny. You can tell Rockstar are an intelligent bunch with an eclectic taste in music & humour. The pop culture references
and social commentary are so funny. It kinds of says things the way they really are.

Take for example some of the radio commercials dealing with beauty. We all know how much today's society emphasizes on beauty etc, so in GTA you hear ads for fake boobs etc :D It uncovers the lies and the bull**** we take for granted every day.
It's full of clever references and witty humour, it's awesome.

Personally I think there's a bit of CJ in all of us, that's why the game is so popular. :)

Right now my favourite means of transportation is the BMX, not only because I suck at driving (it's much harder in GTA:SA :() but especially because it gives you much more freedom.

@ Athena, do you like that band too?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Too many post without a pic.

I drank a potion with unknown effects, results:

PotionEffect.jpg

Upvote 0
@ Athena, do you like that band too?
I'm afraid I don't know their name :(

By the way, you and Murphy are full of win. :D

Oh and remember the light beer commercial in SA? "when I told my friends I drink light beer, they told me: will you start drinking wine coolers and start wearing dresses too? But when I told them you get the drunkness without the weight gain, they got hooked. Now we all drink light beer.!" or something that went like "so drunk you can't your wife from her sister. Now that's what I call fun!" :D

Lastly, a pic, to make masasa - who posted a cool pic, btw - happy ;)

20071101014151hh8.jpg

Upvote 0
That game rocks. Have it on the xbox. Amazing and funny.
Speaking of bicycles: Does anyone else find it funny that they are one of the fastest vehicles in the game? Can't complain about that though, as they are my afvorite means of transportation. Mostly because of that huge jump you can do with them.

The guy in the chicken costume in the fast-food restaurant:
"Clackedy-Cluck-Cluck, Sir. How may I further degrade myself?":D
Heh, I love the bikes, if you know how you can nose ride one for miles and rack up a few thousand bucks for insane stunts :D

Here's an ArmA screen, this is what happens when two black hawks kamikaze a bridge :)

bridgedown.JPG

Upvote 0
The communit witchhunt ad:
"[...] is he all for sharing and loving people and does he read books? - Then your son might be a Red!"

I wanted to post a few screenies of Ninja Gaiden Black but I can't take them myself (its an xbox game) nd the ones I found either don't do the game justice or they are a lot more high-res than the game itself. The ones from gamespot come relatively close to how the game actually looks. Imagine the pics below with less pixelating and in motion.:eek:

Truth be told, there are a few xbox games that look better. Like, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. But none of them runs at rock-steady 60 frames per second and has a gameplay as fast as Ninja Gaiden Black's. :D

Anyway, on to the screenies:

Meet Conan the Barbarian alias Arnold Schwarzenegger. Just kidding. This is Murai. You slaughter yourself through his Ninja school, fight against him a bit and then he turns out to be your friend. A hail to the writers!
928401_20050805_screen003.jpg

The red one is a clone of yourself and he has all your moves, unlimited ammo for his projectile weapons and unlimited "mana", a longer life-bar and he is very good (I mean VERY)...
928401_20050805_screen009.jpg

Say hello to Yotunfrau, the ice-sloth:
928401_20050805_screen020.jpg

Here we have Awakened Alma. She was very tough (I mean VERY) when she was still alive but when you have to fight her the second time in this awakened form she is beyond compare. The only thing in the game that is harder (excluding the mission mode) is the fight against the infernal trio at the end of Very Hard and Master Ninja. The alma-like lady, the whipping tarzan-gal and Satan.
928401_20050805_screen022.jpg

Ninja Gaiden Black is one of the best games there is. I played it for more than 200 hours now and I'm still fond of it. I'm currently fighting my way through "Master Ninja" mode and I'm in Chapter 13, I think it was.

When I'm done I'm going to do a handi-cap run or two and then I'm going to attack some of the missions I haven't beat yet. I haven't even unlocked the final five-in-one missions Eternal Legend yet.

The game is insanely rewarding and the value is insane too.

Upvote 0
The red one is a clone of yourself and he has all your moves, unlimited ammo for his projectile weapons and unlimited "mana", a longer life-bar and he is very good (I mean VERY).

I beg to differ. He is actually quite easy, but the problem is his 200-500% random variety of doing X instead of Y :p

Here we have Awakened Alma. She was very tough (I mean VERY) when she was still alive but when you have to fight her the second time in this awakened form she is beyond compare. The only thing in the game that is harder (excluding the mission mode) is the fight against the infernal trio at the end of Very Hard and Master Ninja. The alma-like lady, the whipping tarzan-gal and Satan.

Now this one's kinda easy too, but it reguires patience and very good timing. Otherwise you end up being raped by those claws.

Alternatively you could just use that cheap shot 5% health trick, but it's... cheap. Sure I use it to beat Doku in chapter 14 in less than 20 seconds but that's another story :p

Funny thing about Ninja Gaiden Black is that everything can be easy as hell if you just know what you are doing. In case if you don't... that's another story then. How ironic.

Upvote 0
I'll check them out. Hey, what's that rally game? looks good and does it have cockpit view?

Hi, it's Colin McRae Dirt. Yeah, it does have cockpit view. I prefer that view because it's the most realistic (helmet cam) and it "feels" the best... if you drive over a bump you can kinda
"feel" your head bob back and forth, if you know what I mean. It's not just a floating camera in a cockpit. The cars handle great. You really need to listen to your co-driver, or you'll end up in the countryside.

I disabled the bloom using a fan-mod and it looks sooo much better, check it out. Just compare these pics with the blurry mess on the previous page (bloom is officially evil) :eek:

Helmet cam just for Athena, Peugeot 207 in Australia:
dirt9zy5.jpg

207 in Spain:
dirt10ov1.jpg

Highly recommended if you're into rally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The communit witchhunt ad:
"[...] is he all for sharing and loving people and does he read books? - Then your son might be a Red!"
ROFLMAO just like the "commando pest eradication squad" "Your house is clear ma'am, OMG WHAT IS THIS!?! That's my daughter! Looks more like VC to me! *bang*" LOL

Hi, it's Colin McRae Dirt. Yeah, it does have cockpit view. I prefer that view because it's the most realistic (helmet cam) and it "feels" the best... if you drive over a bump you can kinda
"feel" your head bob back and forth, if you know what I mean. It's not just a floating camera in a cockpit. The cars handle great. You really need to listen to your co-driver, or you'll end up in the countryside.

I disabled the bloom using a fan-mod and it looks sooo much better, check it out. Just compare these pics with the blurry mess on the previous page (bloom is officially evil) :eek:

Helmet cam just for Athena, Peugeot 207 in Australia:
dirt9zy5.jpg

207 in Spain:
dirt10ov1.jpg

Highly recommended if you're into rally.

Thanks Nimsky! I have a G25 on the way so I'll definitely check CM: Dirt since it has cockpit view!

Upvote 0