• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Trading Sniping notes.

sniperdots.jpg

;)

Upvote 0
On Hedgehog and Bondarevo camoflauge works... what about wheat fields?

The problem with the wheat fields is that it's hard to get a good unobstructed field of view if you're prone with all the wheat stalks in the way. To get a good view, a good deal of the time you have to prop up against a fence or something, which kind of defeats the purpose of hiding in a wheat field..

Upvote 0
I was an Airborne Sniper and remember LOW is how you go. LEARN "3" count system PEAK DUCK MOVE...SLOWLY. Movement will give you away. A lot of times if you just STAY still you are unseen in the right environment. Learn the sounds around you and MOVE with THEM. Aircraft flying over is a good time to move because most people will look up for a split second and the noise covers your footsteps. Look Behind you when you just move to a new spot. I cant tell you how many times I have CREEPT up on Snipers because they don't turn around. Shadows are your friend. LISTEN learn the sounds of an approach Walking Running Crouching crawling all make sounds. DONT always shoot when you have a target. Sometimes waiting a few seconds will give you more than ONE kill. 2-3 people together will most likely flop FLAT on the ground when shot at Them. If you did get one before they went down, the other 2 are possibly gift wrapped. STUDY your maps ENTIRELY. Never let skyline and you meet. Do your best to be next to somthing that moves if possible( Flaming tank, Smoking chimneys, Smoking stuff) Always have MORE than one escape route. NEVER back track but find a way to cover were you came from. Never follow the same route twice. dont be so quick looking left and right the riflebarrel swings around alot and is easily seen.If you are found and the CHACE begins remember you do have a GRENADE. My trick is Just as I round the corner I DROP it. At least 8 times out of 10 it works. because the enemy will use the corner to PEAK around and BOOM. Tank Drivers LOVE to drive with there heads stuck out. Tank commanders LOVE to look through there binoculars. It is JUICY. I once covered a tank from a excellent position so well the AT Soldiers accused me of cheating. I actually ran out of ammo. Retrieved more ammo flanked my old position and if you red about the waiting earlier in this post you can guess that in about 20 sec 3 people were wear I was before looking for me. In 8 sec I got 3 kills. I even typed one guys name in before I shot him.
Remember this If sniping is what you want to do COMMUNICATE with your team if you are not alone. They can warn you and you can warn them. I was trained with a SPOTTER for some missions. He calls in the target and you take it out. ONLY do this with someone you trust. Because he can COVER your A** from behind and a second set of eyes are lifesaving.

Upvote 0
most of the time ill just use the sniper class a a diversion. Lets say odessa for instance (This happend the other day) im in the large building looking over the first square nr the apartments. Their sniper is shooting at me from within the spawn protection zone or whatever, i think "well thats a waste of their sniper class" because hes only trying to shoot me, so i relocate further left & start popping of infantry, mg etc trying to cap the square. Dont bother moving from the building because eventually their entire team is just going to try to kill me by storming the building which is less ppl to cap the objective & drains their reinforcements just for 1 or 2 guys, & their sniper just refuses to reinforce the front, so hes getting like 2or 3 kills without dying, im maybe dying once a minute, but im getting like 3 or 4 of them & draining their reinforcements.

In offensive situations, i like to clear wide areas, then backup my team with the pistol & help ppl cap objectives etc, so that when i die, i can clear out those wide areas again because i havent been sniping for a couple of mins.

so basically i use respawning as an advantage, no use in real life, but then again i dont want to join the army.

Upvote 0
most of the time ill just use the sniper class a a diversion. Lets say odessa for instance (This happend the other day) im in the large building looking over the first square nr the apartments. Their sniper is shooting at me from within the spawn protection zone or whatever, i think "well thats a waste of their sniper class" because hes only trying to shoot me, so i relocate further left & start popping of infantry, mg etc trying to cap the square. Dont bother moving from the building because eventually their entire team is just going to try to kill me by storming the building which is less ppl to cap the objective & drains their reinforcements just for 1 or 2 guys, & their sniper just refuses to reinforce the front, so hes getting like 2or 3 kills without dying, im maybe dying once a minute, but im getting like 3 or 4 of them & draining their reinforcements.

In offensive situations, i like to clear wide areas, then backup my team with the pistol & help ppl cap objectives etc, so that when i die, i can clear out those wide areas again because i havent been sniping for a couple of mins.

so basically i use respawning as an advantage, no use in real life, but then again i dont want to join the army.

Actually I've done that Odessa thing a few times. It turns out that you REALLY are better used for defending group HQ. Keeping a rifleman or two busy is not better than plucking their sniper before he destroys your defensive line. If they actually fall for your ploy and try and force you out en masse, more power too you. Most likely an experienced team will send 1 rifleman to stab you and take your gun while the rest ignore.

Upvote 0
my 2 cents for RO sniping (as a clan sniper in 2M...)
- be familiar with your gun (simply play with it as much as possible)
- be familiar with all types of sniper, it is very efficient to change gun during game accoring to actual capzones or situation
- semi auto smipers are extremly powerful gun but for long range shots it is very discutable and difficult aiming (often need 2-3 shots to hit, instead of simple easy one shot with bolt - maybe it is only my problem between chair and mouse:))
- good sniping position... this means get in position where you will take out enemy sniper and MG, other classes are lower priority (even if commander)... e.g. make sure enemy sniper/mg is not hunting teammates on spawnexit. Do not be affraid to go to capzone when needed even with sniper, with semi you can be good assault too.
- make sure you have no problems with shooting hipshots... this is crucial for close range combat, and when moving. There is a big chance to survive even against any smg with semi autos.
- pistol... again hipshoting is the key
- bind "throw weapon" key effectively... during close range combat, in case you shoot with bolt and miss, then simply throw the gun away and kill enemy with pistol...
- sniper is nothing special ... it just has scope so in fact it is as good as any other rifle
- all is based on team tactics... so you do not need any special defender if team has good positions (especialy in 8on8 matches) but on public, yes, this can be useful...
- play, play and play...

Upvote 0
You probably have a few of your teammates in front of you with SMGs or rifles. They're in danger of getting shot at by both the MG and assaulters. They have a small chance of taking out the MG, and probably a reasonable chance of taking out the assaulters. You on the other hand, have the option of shooting at a stationary MG suppressing your friends, or the moving assaulters. Your first target should be the MG. Why? Because removing the MG cover gives your teammates a greater chance of taking out the assaulters. That way you SUPPORT your infantry, and let them do thier job of taking out the enemy grunts. Obviously, after the MG is down, you're free to take shots at the remaining assaulters.

Genius, this. Thank you for saying it so succinctly and perfectly.

Upvote 0
Some good stuff in here. I'll C&P some of the stuff over from the 20th's forums, I don't see why we should keep any of it a secret since it's easy enough to research anyway:

[...] Also, those of us with ****ty internet connections or who live a long way from the server will have to add a few milliseconds' worth of lead to hit runners. It's something you'll get used to eventually, but it can be hard at times. Remember, a ping of 300 means you'll need to aim at where you'd hit the target if you waited another third of a second to fire.

Extreme long range stuff - I've been working on this a little with the various sniper rifles, and it can be a pain. The longest shot you're likely to take with a scoped rifle in a standard RO map is about 200m - most of the maps with sniper rifles are urban and/or foggy as all hell, so you can't really see **** beyond that range - so I recommend you go to the 200m range on Lubjankow and experiment. I haven't done this for a few weeks, but from what I remember, putting the tip of the carrot on the outermost ring's edge should land your round on or near the bullseye. Sniping at these ranges is somewhat harder, as your enemies' heads (unfortunately) aren't huge big red and white circles. The rifles in RO seem zeroed to about 100m [since changed to 200?] meaning you're fine to point and shoot on most infantry maps. However, from a distance (such as across Odessa), you'll need to make minute adjustments for gravity.

Where the fun really starts is ranges beyond 350m, particularly if it's a difficult target. You will want - and I mean really want - a rest for your rifle here, as every movement is multiplied tremendously. This is where poor bastards like me with outdated, non-gaming mice really suffer, because you need to be able to aim pixel-by-pixel. Once you've got your rifle steadied and found your target, you'll need to compensate for gravity (lead too, if you're insane enough to take running shots at that range - Krieger :p). My range estimation is pretty awful, but from killing targets at what I believe to be 350 and 400m, you'll need to put the point where the carrot begins to taper about level with your intended target's head/chest area. Unfortunately, it is incredibly hard to get right, since the damn thing blots them out completely, and you may find yourself missing what seem to be 'easy' standing shots. Don't get frazzled, just close the range if you can - though if you can wipe out enemies from that kind of distance, you're laughing. You'll be the most effective weapon on the battlefield without a doubt - provided you're decent at self-concealment - for one reason: you can kill literally anything. IS-2 giving you crap from long range? Just move a sniper as close as you can without detection, and wait for the commander to pop out of his hatch. I've killed a Tiger commander from about 350-500m this way, and though it took me about 10 shots to finally land one on him (drop mixed with RO's weird vehicle collision geometry - not fun), that Tiger ceased to be a threat to my team. All the while, I was concealed amongst a plethora of vegetation, safe and sound.

Additionally - though this may be reiterating several previously-made points:

• Move slowly and deliberately. Keep down, and stay in deep vegetative cover or gullies as much as possible. Overgrown gullies are better still. Resist the urge to get up and run, it will likely get you either shot instantly or compromise your position and lead to your death later.
  • Don't take shots you can't hit unless you're certain that you can quickly move to a distant position without being seen. Snipers are excellent at suppressing infantry and even tank crewmen, but they're also high-priority targets. Firing and missing will most probably result in someone spotting your position, and we all know what happens next.
  • Prioritise targets well. Don't shoot a rifleman if the squad leader is standing right next to him.
  • Stick with the bolt-actions unless you KNOW you'll be firing at targets inside 100-150m.
  • Avoid exposed, obvious positions like the rooftop on Stalingrad Kessel. I've killed countless careless snipers and machine-gunners who thought it'd be a good idea to head up there. Windows and doorways are alright as long as you keep your distance.
  • Avoid setting up near MGs, PTRDs, tanks, Panzerfausts or squad leaders. They will draw fire, which is not good news for you. The PTRD in particular is both excessively loud and has a GIGANTIC muzzleflash, so stay the hell away. Similarly, MG rounds and Panzerfausts leave a visible trace of their trajectories. Tanks are just huge and hard to miss.
  • Always listen carefully.
  • Get to know your surroundings, down to every minute detail. You should be able to identify even the slightest change, as there's a good chance that change will be armed and rather hostile - or a friendly in trouble.
  • You're a support class. Leave capping to the riflemen and lead-sprayers.
  • If someone kills you, don't think you can go back and beat them to the trigger again. Move to their flanks and fire from there. If you're getting killed over and over, start using a different area of the map altogether.
  • Try and get behind the enemy frontline. Sniper fire coming from their side of the map will likely disorient and demoralise the enemy.
  • Be aware that vegetation in games doesn't always make good cover, especially the kind which consists of a few planes with alpha'd textures on them. You might think you're hidden, but your feet or rifle could be sticking through a plane.
  • Darkness is your friend.
  • If possible, get someone with a pair of binoculars to spot for you. Ideally you'd be able to trade your binocs off to someone else as a machine gunner or sniper (which currently doesn't have any by default), but unfortunately TW didn't see fit to make binocs droppable ingame. Make do with the squad leader if you can, or just someone to watch your back.
  • Take your time. Don't crank out shots like you've got a Lee-Enfield and you're practicing for the 'mad minute'. You don't have to kill everything you see, and often it's better if you leave riflemen or assault troops for your own to deal with. If you're constantly nailing half their team, they will focus all their energy into killing you.
  • Stay as far from the action as possible. This is really just common sense but I've seen many a sniper run into a contested area only to step on a grenade or cop a stray round to the face.
Might add more later. :)
e:

Interesting. The manual tells me the rifles aren't actually zeroed. Hmmm...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Exactly my point. The enemy aren't actually going to be demorilized or confused if I shoot the leader, so I just shoot everything.

I do think taking out an mg first is the most important thing for a sniper and other snipers.

Simply because a single mg can kill half a team, and snipers can often be out of range for any other weapon but another sniper ;o.

Upvote 0
Targets that should be got first are Enemy Snipers and Machine Gunners, you can get lucky and cap them whilst they are running to cover etc.

On some maps like Road to Hill, when you are german and you go in the Farm house, KEEP the doors shut when you are sniping in the room, as it gives you an sound clue when you are about to be flanked, and ask a Friend etc, to cover you.

For rifles, get to know them and where possible use the Bolt action verison as they are more accaute, and less prone to kick back, also if you are german try and use the P-38 pistol where avialbe due to the fact the reloading mech doesn't block the iron sights when you fire

Upvote 0