• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Voronezh: Official Thread

I've received a number of inquiries via PM lately about the status of this map.

For the record, I have not abandoned this project and I intend to resume serious work on it in the VERY near future. I'm trying to set myself a deadline of mid-February to post a REAL beta version with Slyk's AT guns once he officially releases the files.;)

Mainly, I've been dealing with stuff in RL lately, and haven't been spending much time doing an mapping, except for some experimenting with textures and terrains, as well as AI scripts. Just trying to teach myself more fundementals of the UE.

Stay tuned folks and thanks for the support! :D

Upvote 0
For the record, I have not abandoned this project and I intend to resume serious work on it in the VERY near future. I'm trying to set myself a deadline of mid-February to post a REAL beta version with Slyk's AT guns once he officially releases the files.

Actually, you can extract files from the download for 'TractorWorks' and you'll have what you need. You will need to import the M1937 into the editor.

Open the 'Actor Browser';
go to 'Open'; select "AHz_ROVehicles" (this is in your /system folder);
look in the SVehicleFactory and you should see the "M1937Factory".

Place it like any other vehicle. *Note that the "BT7Factory" is there as well but it is the T60 mutant vehicle and I beg you not to use that as it will create an issue later when we release the real one.*

Upvote 0
Thanks EH!!! ;)

I basically discarded the map I began last fall and started over from scratch about two months ago. This was mainly a result of me having learned so much more about the editor and level design in the intervening year. Rather than trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, I thought it best (and quickest) to just reinvent the scenario.

I would consider the map about 80% complete at this point. Aside from minor tweaks that will likely be needed at the end, the terrain and its layers are more or less in their completed form. The objectives are layed out - but I need to get them to trigger correctly. The play area will be 1km north to south, by 2km west to east, which is quite smaller than the original version. The layout is based on a combo of Google satellite imagery and 1950's Soviet topo maps of the area. I've also used personal photos of the area as reference in laying out the terrain, so this should be an authentic experience from that point of view. Luckily, the real terrain in that region of Russia consists of rolling hills and occasional heights (like Orel), therefore placement of AP's wasn't too hard to pull off.

Still plenty of things to do: insert remaining art assets like buildings, rail and power lines, interior decoration for the few enterable buildings, environmental stuff like vegetation and water, to name just a few.

The scenario hasn't changed much: As in RL, the spearhead of the German attack is lead by the GD division, supported by its own StuG battalion and Pz III's of the 24th Panzer division .The objective is to seize keypoints on the approach to Voronezh, including the key bridges over the Don River at Semiluki. The battle ends in the suburbs of the city itself (athough you don't actually enter the city completely). The Germans need to rely on speed and coordination to win. The Russians need to use their numbers, the terrain, and the long distances to their advantage to run out the clock.

Divinehammer and a few others are helping out with art assets and other things. Definitely props!

I'll post some screenies this weekend depending on progress. All you'd see right now is layered terrain with cornfields and roads. :p
voroblast2.jpg

voroblast.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I changed out the wheatfields and made them cornfields because I think people need a change of scenery from the usual mesh assets. I confirmed with my wife that there are cornfields near her hometown, so the realism aspect is intact, luckily.

The best part about the revision on this map, in my opinion, is that the objectives are much closer together and there is always the possibility of instant action for tankers and infantry alike. If anyone remembers the old alpha version, the first objective was about 3/4 kilometer from the German's first spawn point. Lame.

So if you can't hitch a ride on - or advance behind - the custom Pz III's or StuG's, there are plenty of drainage ditches, tree stands, tank traps, fences, and other "natural" terrain features for infantry on foot to exploit on their way to the objectives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, ya slackers, get to work! It only took me over a year to get the first beta out for this map, so I expect better from you guys. I should have the final version of the map ready by the 100th anniversay of the actual battle in 2042. ROFL!

Thanks Slyk, I know you guys are all working hard, and like me, you are doing all of this free content work in your meager spare time. Can't wait to get my grubby little hands on the T-34 and KV-1 :p

Upvote 0