• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Class , Medic

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_TeuTon

Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2007
There are two parts to this suggestion:

First, introduce a Medic Class to both sides. Each team would get one, or two if it is a >32 player server. Each medic would have a limited number of kits (sulfa, plasma, bandage, etc.). He would be given a pistol for defense. The medic would also be able to drag or carry a soldier out if possible in the engine. A new voice command, similar to a MG resupply request, would be needed to signal the medic.

Second, RO's health system might need to be changed to go with this. If someone is shot in the torso, they should not be able to do much movement or fighting unless they are treated by a medic. If they are shot in the torso, but in the heart or lungs, death should be instant.
Also, it's already a bit unrealistic the way the limb hits affect a player. In real life, if you got shot in the leg, you're gonna fall to the ground. You're not going to stand there moving in slow motion. Limb wounds should be treatable by a medic, however if you are hit in the upper leg, its most likely that you wouldn't be able to walk at all in reality.

Basically this system would be a lot like Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, which was VERY realistic.

Basically this system would be a lot like Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, which was VERY realistic.

Erm,I beg your pardon?
The PA system for healing wounded troops was anything other than realistic.
If you got shot anywhere,it would take at the very least 3 weeks for you to be able to be minimally effective;people don't heal up and go running for more bullets in a matter of seconds.
Also,a medic system that might work is to apply bandages to soldiers so that red areas on your soldier turn back to normal,for example if a bullet injures him and whizzes very close to your thigh or torso,a medic could bandage it to stop some sort of bleeding that could be added so the medic has a limited time to get to the injured person.

Upvote 0
Yea. . . about that. . . RO isn't exactly the type of game, in form or function, that a medic class would have a place in.

In a more arcade style FPS, I can see a medic having a place on the battlefield, but RO was founded upon the idea of providing a realistic experience, and a medic just wouldn't work in any way at all.

And as far as Pacific Assault is concerned, it is not realistic in the least. This does not say that I hate the game, in fact it's one of my favorites, (I still don't totally understand why so many people hate it though.) but I don't have any illusions that a real soldier could be healed after taking a string of heavy MG fire to the chest.

Upvote 0
With my first comment , believe me i did'nt want to be so dismisive , its a noble wish.But in real fluid PC game play your going from the situation that all will play as you believe fits into incorperating this medic role.
This new development would slow down the game , i have no personal problem with that....it would involve more stealth,but in reality an attack would move on , and if you were lucky you'd be found and helped.
But in RO,i dont think you'd get the space and time needed to help anyone.
In BF2 a medic role helped a lot in gameplay and matches........RO is nowhere near the same game.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.