• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kreigstadt Beta 4...the best map out

• Thread starter American_Psycho
  • Start date
A

American_Psycho

Kreigstadt beta 4 out of Dallas TX. It is the battle of Berlin with all the little historical details. Correct unis, weapons, a dug in Panther tank, working PAK 40 anti tank guns, Soviet armor etc. It is a huge map that plays similar to Danzig with armor support. At certain street intersections it has the long range firefights that gives the advantage to the skilled rifleman over the bullet sprayer PPsher. It even has toned down the Star Wars laser tracers to look more like real tracer rounds whizzing around. It is a very well done map. Congrats to the maker.

I played it last night, either beta 2 or 4... The tracers were absolutely AWESOME, although maybe just a tiny bit too small, in real life they do have a bit more of a stretch, but its MUCH better. The situation map was awesome too.

The map stressed my 6800 Ultra to the max. All options, AA+AF @ 1680x1050 was dragging my FPS into the 15-20 range during times.

I didn't play for long before I made one single team kill and was kicked, possibly banned? from the server. That was annoying, and I chose not to rejoin. The Russians and Germans uniforms are now the same color, Russian infantry gets steel helmets, and not knowing the map I just didn't know where everyone was. Oh well.

Upvote 0
Well if you simply explain what you don't like I can tell you:

1. If it is already fixed for the next beta.
2. If it is going to be fixed based on your input.
3. Or if I will keep it as is due to my design philosophy.

If the issue is simply the uniforms I do not feel they are as close as people make them out to be, and will be more distinguishable in Beta 3 due to the Allied uniforms being made more green, but possible darker at the same time (for better concealment in rubble and to make up for dirt that would have collected on the uniforms).

Just saying, I'll listen to a valid argument.

Upvote 0
This isn't the best map, in my opinion... As a matter of fact I think Rak's Kryukovo map is *almost* the best :D

The problem with "Best" comments is that you can go digging around and find that just about any custom map ever released has garnered that connotation from 5, 10, 15, 20 different people. It's purely subjective to the user and there are so many elements of a map that constitute the whole.

The level is an excellent rendition of the actual space in layout and architectural challenges. Hobo has stayed true to his own philosophy which will hurt him in some opinions, help in others. Performance is the biggest challenge and continues to be. I personally would prefer to see more variation in the textures and more polish work. It certainly has potential to be a "one of" level and it has little competition in the urban combat category with Gorlitz being the only map to really offer the same scope and scale.

Something this size will take a lot of time to polish and tweak.

Upvote 0
It's purely subjective to the user and there are so many elements of a map that constitute the whole.

I absolutely agree with you here. What is "the best" varies from user to user, as every person is different and thusly has varying tastes in maps. This is why it helps to have a wide variety from which to choose, as you have maps that suit certain players. I made mine to appeal to those players who are looking for a more realistic urban combined arms scenario that was to be teamwork intensive, and to that extent I feel I have succeeded. There can be no pleasing of everyone, so the wide variety of maps presented to players allots them the chance to play what it is they want to play.

I understand that some people may not like my map and that it may not be fitting to their "style," but I had a particular type of player I made the map for, and those players enjoy it.

Upvote 0
What makes this map great -

The size
Combined arms
The MG tracers (in fact, everything about the MG rocks)
The Pak guns
The required teamwork
The insane amount of windows and angles
The dug in Panther
The uniforms and the general 'edge' they create
The difficulty level
The realistic, gritty feel
No smoke
No arty

At the moment, and I imagine for a long time - my favorite map. Cheers Hobo, well done :cool:.

edit - waitaminnute.... beta 4?? wrong.

Upvote 0