• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Freeaim in IS

fOgGy

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2006
You can freeaim when the weapon is hipped but you can't do the same for IS, so I was wondering if it's possible to implement it in RO: O (in RO: O the IS always stays at the center no matter where you point it) ? I find freeaim in IS to be more realistic as the arms which hold the weapon sway more constant than the weapon itself, Armed Assault is the only game I know that has this feature and does it really well.

freeaiminis14co2.jpg

freeaiminis13ol2.jpg

freeaiminis17ya5.jpg

freeaiminis1zz8.jpg

freeaiminis3cq7.jpg

freeaiminisee5.jpg

freeaiminis7tw0.jpg

freeaiminis31zd5.jpg

freeaiminis39as7.jpg

freeaiminis37xs0.jpg

Last edited:
I had suggested this idea a while ago too, and back in that topic many of the other forum members thought it wouldn't be realistic or something.

Since then I have thought about it some more and I still think it would work well. This idea was also already incorporated into an old Unreal Tournament (Not 2004) mod called Infiltration, and many people who played that regularly also felt that the weapons recoil worked better because of how you had to move your weapon differently.

I also had an idea that incorporated some collision detection for when you were in IS mode so that it would be easier to rest your weapon on an object and also limit how far you could move based on where you were.

Upvote 0
I absolutely hate the free-aim ironsights in ArmA, luckily you can disable them. It is really confusing that you have to move the weapon model all the way to the edge of the screen to take a look to the side, and all the way across the screen again to take a look to the other side. I think it is unnecessary to add a feature like that unless we get some special goggles that track eye movement. In ArmA the floating weapon also makes steering yourself while walking very unintuitive because it is hard to control precisely where you go as you have to point your weapon all the way to the side to turn, very sluggish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not in the remotest sense realistic though.

Not strictly, no, but its tradeoff realism, that would allow me things like advancing with my weapon shouldered, without the gun taking up all the screen (the "high ready" position), it would allow a much more realistic presentation of recoil, after a shot i could easilly lower my weapon a bit and look over the sights and regain situational awareness, all in all it feels more like holding a real weapon.

You have to remeber that we are still playing this on a monitor with a keyboard and mouse, we cannot have "realistic" in its utmost sense, what we can have is simulation to some degree, though that often means some tradeoffs have to be made so we can still control it with our input devices, freeaim in IS is, to me, a better simulation of what its like holding a gun than the static IS, even if there are tradeoffs.

But its not going to happen, its been disgussed before, and i recall one of the Dev's (i think it was Ramm actually) saying "NO!".

Upvote 0
I'm gonna have to vote against this also. The only way I can see this being realistic is if it were used like "shouldering" your weapon. Aiming around like that really can't happen while looking down the sights at the same time.

You absolutely have to see it as "shouldered", and not as aiming with a perfect cheek-weld, thats the tradeoff here, it gives you alot of the freedom you have in real life, to see and move and so forth, but you pay for it by not having that perfect cheek-weld profile (but it too is unrealistic if you cannot also do all the other stuff, and we can't, "realism" in games is fickle like that).

Personally, i'd rather have the freedom (but what i'd really love is if we could have both, tap the IS key to bring it up to shouldered with freeaim, hold it down to go for the cheek-weld look! i'd even be willing to have the Freeaim IS more of an "over the sights" view than "perfect aim").

Also, you lads who have only seen this in action in ARMA, that may actually not give you a very good impression, because IMO, ARMA did it wrong, it gives you so much range of movement it's allmost silly! and turning to look at something becomes a chore!
It works sooo much better with only a bit of movement range, like INF had it, thats the way to go.

Upvote 0
I look at the pics and can't help to think how much that would suck having to aim like that. I disabled that function in ArmA right away.

GRAW2 (and to some extent COD2) have a different system that might be a good trade-off between the two: When you fire in IS the gun will recoil upwards a bit without your view being affected affected. If you keep pulling the trigger it will eventually shift your view up, too. However if you fire only short bursts you won't reach that point. It's very intuitive (imo) and doesn't jerk up aiming at all.

Upvote 0
It's not in the remotest sense realistic though.

IMO it's realistic in a way that it's not point-and-click gameplay. When you bring up your ironsights in ArmA, you dont get them in the middle of the screen immediately but have to adjust to get them on target, just like in real life you would try to get a clear sightpicture (remember, most good shooters take around 3 seconds to get a good shot off!).

Right now in RO, you bring up ironsights, you immediately know where they are gonna be so it's pretty much point-and-click gameplay. You fire a good shot in less then a second.

IMHO it's a good way to recreate adjusting your weaponsights for a good shot (aligning your front and rear sights etc). You cant do that in a game, but this is still something.

Upvote 0