• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rifles Have Been Nerfed Post-Patch

I've had problems too, certain shots that leave a bullet hole in the wall behind someone, tank rounds not quite flying true to form, full clips from MP40, 41 and 44 doing nothing to a near point blank target, even situations where i know i should be dead, a pp spray'n'pray point blank and i bayonet him, there was even an instance in the last training session for my unit where i bayonet an MP40 that's firing full auto in my face. I put it down to server client mismatch, you know, like when you can't pick up a weapon sometimes? Maybe there's more to it than just that.

H!
Unterscharfuhrer Thomas Bottcher

Upvote 0
Honestly, a lot of this sounds like problems that happened in the mod. They usually related to the server not being able to track all the info simultaneously and stuff getting dropped (IE: tanks that would fire "blanks").

That's why I ask if this current release added more data to be tracked by the server. If servers that previously ran fine are running into problems now, you have to wonder. If it's just new servers that aren't really equipped to run high player counts, then there's your problem.

Upvote 0
I think its to do with the higher player count servers when full for deffinate now when they are full as last night I was playing on the wild bunch on kurland with just 28players and everything was on target.
This problem didn't happen on the larger servers either. This problem has only occured after the last patch.

Upvote 0
They usually related to the server not being able to track all the info simultaneously and stuff getting dropped.

Well this got me thinking, and I'm not sure if it's actually the problem, but there has been something added that would definitely need to be tracked by the server, and maybe thats where our problem lies.

It could be the new "np" forgiveness feature they added recently. When you get team-killed you can type in "np" into the chat bar to forgive your accidental killer, but if you don't want to forgive him you just don't type anything. But theres where I start to see possible problems, if you don't type in "np", how does the server know when to stop waiting for it? And then if you get team-killed again later, and then you forgive, how does the server know which person your forgiving if it's still waiting for one before? And then how many "np"s must the server start waiting for before it starts to drop other information?

Again, I have no idea if this may actually be the problem, but right now I think it should be investigated.

Upvote 0
Ahhh come on! I used to think something was amiss also. But now I see the light. All the rude pretentious, elite here convinced me it was all just my lack of skill which coincidently fell sharply immediately upon the release of the newest update. The complete lack of concern from TWI about this issue confirms to me that everything is just fine.:rolleyes:

PS: My complete lack of skill has discouraged me so much that I just gave up on RO and that horrendous new tank map Krapoli Dog about 2 weeks ago. I've been playing COH because there aint no aimin' in that game.:D

Upvote 0
I had this happen to me for the first time over the weekend. Playing on one of the Wild Bunch 50-man servers, I had several separate incidents, all of which were EXACTLY what I expected.

Here's the scenarios:

1.) I'm lining up several shots on enemy troops on Kurland Kessel. I fire, nothing happens. I then hit the fire button again to rebolt, and end up firing again. WTF? This happened a few times.

2.) I was driving around in a Bren carrier, saw an enemy, and switched to the MG. In one case, my MG point of view was, apparently, the front of the barrel for some reason, and I couldn't even see the gun. The second time this happened, I was unloading on the guy, point blank, for like 5 full seconds. He managed to get a panzerfaust shot off, but for some reason was himself killed a split second AFTER he killed me. It was one of the most bizarre things I've seen happen. This was on Arad, by the way.

Both of these incidents played out exactly like previous versions where tanks would fire "blank" rounds, or in the mod where I'd target a guy, have him lined up PERFECTLY, completely filling my sight, fire, and then he'd turn around and shoot me. Also, the old thing where when you fire and let go of the fire button, your last round shoots where the barrel was pointed a split second after the fact is going on.

All of this makes me think that servers now have too much info to track and SOMETHING is placing more strain on the servers than before. It could be the new "NP" system, or it could be something else. I don't know. It's definitely an issue of client-server communication, though. It's not FPS drops. I don't know what's triggering this, but when the TWB servers are having problems, you know something's up.

Upvote 0
1.) I'm lining up several shots on enemy troops on Kurland Kessel. I fire, nothing happens. I then hit the fire button again to rebolt, and end up firing again. WTF? This happened a few times.

Is it like in this video I did a couple weeks ago? I deleted it because people were saying it was just my connection, which did actually die a couple days later so I assumed it was that. When I recorded this I had no lag, 50 odd ping, no packetloss (had the f6 info up and its readable in the original video). The shots actually come out after the gun finishes rebolting rather than when I clicked to fire..at the end of the video I don't rebolt at all and no bullet comes out so I don't think it was just lag. This bug used to be quite common with PTRD's and MG's. Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKveL2Lxjx8

Upvote 0
koenigsplatz.

60 ping, no packetloss, (F6) 40 server not at all overloaded.
proned with a rifle having a guy 10m from me with the back to me.

shot -> nothing
bolt->shot->nothing
bolt->shot>nothing
bolt->shot->kill -> WTF!!1!!

neither my target(maybe a newb) nor me have moved during firing.

Sometimes I have the filling that the rifles are a litle bit off.

Upvote 0
Is it like in this video I did a couple weeks ago? I deleted it because people were saying it was just my connection, which did actually die a couple days later so I assumed it was that. When I recorded this I had no lag, 50 odd ping, no packetloss (had the f6 info up and its readable in the original video). The shots actually come out after the gun finishes rebolting rather than when I clicked to fire..at the end of the video I don't rebolt at all and no bullet comes out so I don't think it was just lag. This bug used to be quite common with PTRD's and MG's. Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKveL2Lxjx8

It's not quite that bad, but it's similar. It's a lot like the old PTRD thing or the "blank tank shells" problem. I'm pretty convinced that's the problem -- new information was added that the server has to track, and now even the top end servers like TWB can't handle it on a full load. So, either the netcode needs to be better optimized, or servers need to tone down their total number of players until this gets sorted out.

It'd be one thing if this was only a sporadic problem here and there, but with this many people saying they're having problems, it seems to me like something with the netcode and servers having to keep track of more information than before.

Upvote 0
Well if we are going to get any closer to tracking this down, we need to try and gather some more information to see if we can find any connections to these events.

I suggest, before entering a server, to take a look at its stats and see what settings it's running. Like how many people are in it, what it's max player count is, whats maps the problem seem to happen in more often, if the map is a custom level, if other players have decent ping levels, if the sever is running the new "np" feature, and anything else that a player can see when looking at the server stats.

(You could make a screenshot of the list instead of writing it down.)

Also be sure to save any information for a server that doesn't have any problems, as the information that it provides is just as helpful as the info for a server with the issue.

Hopefully we might be able to find the common trait thats creating the problem and then maybe the Dev's might be able to track it down to its source.

Upvote 0
On related news... anyone else finding themselves warping around like crazy since the patch? All the times I've had issues with the rifle, have been during/around the time I've warped around. Stat net shows my ping is solid and my pl is non existant, yet I find myself often warping around as much as I used to when I played UT1 on a 56k winmodem!

It's frustrating to be happily running around getting perfect shots, only to suddenly warp 5metres away from where I thought I was, and suddenly find myself unable to hit anyone for several seconds. I'm suspecting it's related to overloaded servers? It has happened to me on all the servers I've tried (all high player count though).

Upvote 0
I get the impression that this is caused by some kind of server side packet loss and not client.
May be a good ideea to start monitoring also the tick rate of the servers. Increasing the tickrate can increase dramatically the server cpu and net load.
Maybe it should be possible to have a look at some OS performance counters about the TCP/IP stack on the servers.

Upvote 0
The blank fire bug has allways been there, it was very apparent with Auto weapons back when RO:O was just released, and then got much better with patches, but its never gone away, think about it.. im sure you can remember several instances where you have shot at people clouse by with a rifle and had nothing happen, its pretty unlikely you missed that guy 10 meters away shooting at his center mass dont you think? i can remember many such "WTH!?!?" shots with rifles, but it was rare enough that i'd say "ohh well" and move on.

But now it seems like its much worse, and happens often enough that it becomes annoying..

Upvote 0
On related news... anyone else finding themselves warping around like crazy since the patch? All the times I've had issues with the rifle, have been during/around the time I've warped around. Stat net shows my ping is solid and my pl is non existant, yet I find myself often warping around as much as I used to when I played UT1 on a 56k winmodem!

It's frustrating to be happily running around getting perfect shots, only to suddenly warp 5metres away from where I thought I was, and suddenly find myself unable to hit anyone for several seconds. I'm suspecting it's related to overloaded servers? It has happened to me on all the servers I've tried (all high player count though).

Make sure you have "Dynamic Netspeed" unchecked.

Upvote 0