• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lack of Armored Beasts servers

Knighter

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2007
Hungary
I don't know its just me, but the only server i find with this great tank mod is Fkmod's debrecen only server. Can you tell me others?

Since i first tried this great mutator, i said WOW. It really made me play tank maps only with AB running on. The changes are so much i can't play without it :cool: (like different hitbox for turrets etc.). So in short are there any other european tank servers running this baby? I would like to try black day july, debrecen light gentlemen and other cool maps with this mod. And sry for my english :)

I don't play AB servers because I have experienced a lot of garbage with it. Like facing a PIV head on at under 100m range in my T34/85, I shoot first directly at his front glacis or even his turret face and my shell bounces, his shot destroys me completely. This situation has happened to me over and over and over again with the AB mod.

That kind of blatant historically inaccurate bull**** makes me kind of see AB as an 'uber German armor mod' for all the Wehrmacht fetishists out there to play and get their jollies.

It definitely has it's good aspects but I think it needs some serious work.

Upvote 0
not really, we are incorporating it into Darkest hour. there will be no way to play DH without playing AB, which will definatly kickstart AB again for regular RO.

Good luck with that- if AB is indeed unpopular in Ro then maybe this is a brave move.

There are a few who swear by AB (phaps no co-incedence many seem to have King tigers in their sigs) and i imagine these types will be staunch DH players when it's released.
As DH is the popularist mainstream mod ( western front, US forces etc.), it may attract many players that may convert to AB.

However i do worry that if AB is unpopular in Ro because many ppl dont want to play the part of the convienient Russian 'cannon fodder', how will it fare in DH?

After all, The Jadgpanthers, King tigers and jagdtigers are of course far superior to the current selection of German armour - and indeed they will be up against armour that is in general far inferior to the russian tanks which themselves appear to so uncompetitive when AB is applied.
I presume, from the realism creed, that Pershings and fireflys (which are still a poor second dispite being the hardest hitting allied tanks) aren't going to be used in disproportionately large numbers.

Some have said AB improves the armour of both sides but when i have queried this no-one has yet explained how. And the old 'solution' of making the team numbers lop-sided to compensate for the loadout capabilities wont work cos ppl aren't appreciating how un-attractive a proposition it is to play as the majority side with duff kit (just look at nearly all video games, where the protagonist is the heavily out-numbered hero relying on superior equipment)

So perhaps rather than definately kickstarting AB for Ro it may continue the split of the community, at least as far as tank combat is concerned - the RO:AB / DH crowd, and the stock Ro /mn/cc players.
I will of course check everything out on merit and with an open mind, but I have to say I suspect I already know where i will find the gameplay experience i'd prefer.

Upvote 0
I dislike completly RO tankplay and i don't play more with the basic tanks system, far before i try AB. Basic system is just playing bum-bum-bum silly thing. Testing AB make me love tanks again. It allow you to play tactics well, whatever the side (i play both).

PIV at 100m ? It never bounced. For time to time it does not destroy target at first hit but seems ok if AP shell don't hit anything important. Perhaps i don't play a bugged version.

The AB comment for German powa make me laugh. If you want balance so make a balanced map. I play both side, and no more Panther (easy but not undestroyable). Sure Panther own but T34/85 is a very good tank, i love it to counter Panthers. PIV is not that good (i would say crapy in comparison).

Most tanks maps were done with/for basic RO tank system, not for AB, so don't complain if balance goes wrong. Debrecen is a map done with AB, and it work very well. (And it should be better with only 1 Panther less and 1 IS less.)

Damn, reading such comments from RO players, how shame.

Upvote 0
AB does some nice things, but it doesn't make the game realistic. It just changes the things you end up complaining about.

If it really is a "Germaps Pwnzor All!!" mod (which I haven't really experienced), then that would explain its lack of popularity. DH adding it is, I think, a mistake. I would say at least give servers the option to run DH with or without AB.

And for the record, adding in King Tigers and such to DH is also, I think, a bad idea unless you somehow give the Allies some major help in terms of TONS of artillery strikes, or better yet, air strikes, as well as waaaay higher reinforcements and faster tank respawns (whereas the KT, once knocked out, is out for the rest of the round). Of course, that will likely generate its own complaints (IE: "ZOMG!! The KT was killed at 100m by a flank shot from a Sherman 76mm! That couldn't ever happen in real life!" or "This sux. They took out our Jagtiger with an airstrike, so now we have nothing but crappy Pz IVs. This map is so unbalanced!")

The big danger with modeling German uber-tanks is the danger to balancing the map out in such a way that the map remains fun throughout the whole course. One of my biggest complaints about map design in a different game (Forgotten Hope) is that so many of the maps are "see-saw" maps wherein once X occurs, it's pretty much a guaranteed "game over" for one side, whereas if X doesn't occur, that same side is pretty much guaranteed to win. Adding in uber tanks could turn the gameplay into "Kill the KT" as the central map objective and ignore everything else. If AB is as german-centric as some people find it to be, that'll only exacerbate matters.

Upvote 0
i'm a noob to RO, joined after the free trial, and i have to echo knighter on this. i usually find myself on the russian side (keeping numbers balanced) and find i can still compete, ie kill as often as i die, in t34's. one of the things i really like is the precision needing in picking the soft spots on your target - the turret ring on t-34/85's, the front of the panthers turret... it's a really nice touch to be rewarded for taking the time to set the shot up. another is the abandonment of the ridiculous angling advantage that made a t-34 seemingly impervious to 88 fire...
i find it helps if folk are willing to team up in a tank and communicate, makes a helluva difference... especially in an is2. makes you less of a pillbox whilst you're reloading if you get a competent driver/commander relationship going. had one or two games where it's meant a couple of tanks can dominate an area for a period quite effectively.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think AB is unliked as so many people have been brainwashed with the standard RO angle battles. Too many shocked comments of 'OMG what BS, I was angled!!'

On the Debrecen map it rocks (imo). Panthers can be killed head on (not recommended of course) now with turret shots, and you are rewarded with using skill getting side shots as they seem more reliable. If anyone has had a nice rear/side shot still bounce off in stock RO because the tank was moving diagonally away from you, you might like AB as those shots seem to work better. I hated having straight shots onto the front armor being better than side shots being deflected due to the over modelled richocets in standard RO. Manouvering getting side shots is what armor should be all about.

I find it has less uber tank uberness. Fewer side shot, turning him yellow, and his uber tank takes you out. Now you can get it done in one. That's with Debrecen though, only populated server I have found running it. So no idea how it works with Tigers etc. just Panthers, t34/85, IS2 etc.

T.

Upvote 0