• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Kriegstadt: Taking the Final Objective

Hamburgerphil

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2006
Ontario, Canada
MOLTKE BRIDGE ATTACK GUIDE

I've been playing this map on both sides alot lately, and yes the final
objective is very hard to cap as russians. However, the russians are making
major mistakes in their tactics 90% of the time, since many are new to this
map.

At the moment, panzerfausts are plentiful and easy to get. SO...

Tank tactics for Moltke Bridge

1. Do not bring up the tanks closer than ~120 meters of the german held bank.

2. The IS2 should be on the right side of the russian barricade, blasting any
machine gunners it sees with HE and using the coaxial machine gun to mow
down the germans exiting from the far right exit (directly onto the street)
from this position I've seen even novice tankers get 5 kill shots (keep in
mind there was a total of 15 germans).

3. The SU-76 should be slightly to the left of the russian barricade, nailing
the right side building and any targets infantry tell them to hit. If they
have spare HE shells, they should concentrate on the 2nd floor left
window, where the faust spawns are.

Infantry tactics for Moltke Bridge:

This objective is crazy hard and crazy frustrating for the standard russian infantryman.

1. Riflemen should move and fire, concentrating mostly on enemy
machine-gunners. Try to keep to the little protrusions on the side of the
bridge, which give you adequate cover most of the time. Move down one
at a time, or else you're likely to get shot.

2. Machine gunners (2 of them). One should be set up midway up the bridge
on the right side, putting suppressing fire on the right side building's
windows and/or killing the germans who use the alleyway exit on the far
right (far too many are making it from there to the rubble). The other
should be resting his gun on the halftrack, and mostly concentrating on
denying any germans entrance to the left buildings.

3. Autovmachik. You ain't gonna kill many germans by spraying the
windows. Your job is to move up along the side of the bridge and secure
the pile of rubble. Once you have done so, proceed cautiously to the
german held buildings and try to cause a ruckus up there.

4. Meanwhile the riflemen can move up to the rubble pile and SPREAD OUT.
I've seen quadruple and triple nade kills to last me a lifetime due to stupid
fools who bunch up behind that rubble. If the rubble is already crowded,
head to the left buildings and hold those. If the attempt at the objective
fails, you can deny the germans the left fausts and shoot their defenders
in the back (those who attempt to go to the rubble)

Commander and tank commander... There should be 3 active tankers and a
tank commander. 1 tanker takes care of the SU, 2 the IS2, since they
aren't going in the cap zone.(fausted in 2 seconds). The two commanders
should be the last to get in the cap zone behind the rubble and if possible,
into the left buildings.

If you follow these instructions, even the best German team should be Tarped. (trapped)

Good luck,
Hamburgerphil

P.S. However, since at least 70% of the players in RO seem to not know
what they are doing, the chances of successfully capping this objective
before Beta2 without the help of at least 10 clan players is highly doubtful.

One thing I would like to say is that, if you have a very coordinated team, you can have the Kommandir stay in the Packhof and use his binoculars to *gasp* spot targets for the tanks! The Packhof also offers an elevated base of fire from which to use MGs or rifles.

I'll leave the rest of the discussion to the players, curious to see what you all come up with ;)

Upvote 0
the only times i saw the russians win, is when we used the SU76 as a mobile cover and made it rush over the bridge and everybody ran behind it.
oftenly it gets destroyed halfway, and the charge attack turns into a true slaughter. but that is really fun to!
but after trying several times, it seems like the only way to get a large enough number of soldiers across the bridge at the same time.
and it only works if those who run behind the SU spam all their nades over the SU killing any germans who might be hiding behind the barricade.

it must be a real cool sight for the germans who see the SU blowing up, and sudddenly 10 soldiers run from behind it for cover. and as an allie its really cool also to run behind it

and i dont think the tanks can effectively spam HE or mg on the germans, they help but it is not decisive i think. because when i am a german, i don't really fear the tanks as i can shoot and faust out of any window without taking many risks. there are just to many soldiers to shoot at for them. and the really dangerous ones behind the barricade are out of reach for them, the best seems to rush the SU

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I've stayed on the left side in front of the bridge and emptied three SU-loads of HE shells. Sure, they tried to get us, but they hit us only once - without the up-powered Fausts it wasn't dangerous. Each time we ran out of the 20 HE shells, me and my driver just abandoned the vehicle and ran back to spawn. And voila new SU ready with 20 new HE shells.

I basically waited for some German to shoot and then I knew where he's at and there was instantly a HE going his way. Also, some couple of random shots in the building on the right and a chance shot or two on the barricade - there's this small piece of wood protruding from the mound, if you hit it, there's chance you'll kill those behind the barricade close to that spot.

It's a no brainer. Just keep shooting the windows and going back to respawn for a new SU. Hell, our team was as Machiavellan as to stop any assault and our commander just ordered us to shell, shell, shell those Germans to hell. And so we did - once they were down to 0% reinforcements (we had a couple of minutes to spare on the clock) our assault went and by then the Germans were so pinned down that we capped in one go. 2 EZ 4 ME ;)

Upvote 0
When you run out of HE ammo with the IS2 it makes a great mobile shield & MG platform to ferry the infantry up to the cap zone.. granted you'll almost certainly die on the mound on the axis side, but hopefully you've just helped some infantry get into the cap zone and even better... into the buildings. Wastefull of your reserves..??? maybe.. but effective when you're running out of time and you still got a heathy reinforcement lead.

ALSO.....

be sure to tell your infantry what your doing.

The SU can take advantage of the panic that the encroching IS2 creates too. All them fausters'll be standing up close to the windows aiming down. ANd thats when an HE shell to the face should clear anyone near the window, cuz the HE is exploding INSIDE and to the FRONT of the room - Rather than slamming the back wall.

Upvote 0
Until beta 2, the best bet for the IS2 is to land the HE shells in the side windows, where the blast can still reach the middle of the room.

The SU has a faster rate of fire, 1 shot per 6 seconds (but that means you can use all your ammo theoretically in 2 minutes). The SU can really be successful in smacking the machine-gunners IN THE FACE with the actual shell. I've done this tons of times and you usually get an extra kill besides from the guy attempting to give him ammo.

Additionally, a good position to place the IS2 is diagonally, making a shield for the infantry as these try to cross from the Packhof Archways towards the first rubble pile.

Upvote 0
Still on the topic of binocs, sorry.
None the less it is an exploit.

Yeah, but I for one am very happy that stock MGs have received binocs - finally they can become feared in good hands. As it is, the MG class is a hybrid anyway, combining the MG team into one guy - now you've got the full team in one guy, because you can spot with your binocs on ranges greater than before. Plus, if somone picks your MG after you're dead it's not the normal MG-cloning, because he won't be as effective as a dedicated MG class could. It's a great way for the stock MG, with it's treacherous tracer, to limit it's firing time to what it takes to bring down a long-range target.

Sorry for offtopic (the binocs exploit and ways of improving need a separate topic, don't you find?).

Upvote 0