• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

range finder on the tank

i cant believe you can hit a target at 1400 meter over and over with that technique, when arad was the only tankmap i never used range settings.
but on the new maps you have to, i once had to fire more than 8 shells at a hulldown t34 who (according to my range setting) was 1400 m away. without missing once. and to hit a 1400 m away hulldown target it's a matter of finding the right pixel to aim at.

and when you just elevate the gun to shoot further away, your taget is oftenly completely hidden behind the visor marking and you cant even see if you hit the target without moving the barrel

Upvote 0
i cant believe you can hit a target at 1400 meter over and over with that technique, when arad was the only tankmap i never used range settings.
but on the new maps you have to, i once had to fire more than 8 shells at a hulldown t34 who (according to my range setting) was 1400 m away. without missing once. and to hit a 1400 m away hulldown target it's a matter of finding the right pixel to aim at.

and when you just elevate the gun to shoot further away, your taget is oftenly completely hidden behind the visor marking and you cant even see if you hit the target without moving the barrel

lol, the worst is that you can spend ages using the trial & error method, then when you finally do get it right and get a hit, the shell bounces off. I guess that's life.

Is there any way to use the markings on the scopes properly to estimate range? I know you'd have to take into account the dimensions of the enemy tank, but can you use the other markings for real in game? Or are they just for show. Actually I don't even know if they have range markings, I might be getting RO confused with PR.

Upvote 0
Incidentally, this question is sorta related to the topic: are the T34 sights supposed to be calibrated wrong, or is it some bug? I mean, when I range for 200m (or so) the shell goes WAY high, as if the sights were set on 600m

Oh for god's sake, don't you people search? I mean honestly! This has been discussed like forty million times.

The tank sights are calibrated for 4:3 screens, for the T-34/76 and the KV-1. On a 16:9 screen, it's off. It's because of the way that UE handles wide screens.

Upvote 0
I never use the range finder(fiddled with it on the new map, but meh). I just judge the distance, aim what feels right, and shoot, adjust if it misses(with binoculars). I guess I'm good at judging things, because it works for me. Have hit moving targets at 700+ meters before(not saying it happens a lot:rolleyes:). Dunno...I just go with my tanking feel, don't really bother with that range-finder buisness, too static, i guess, I like to make all the adjustments. :)

Upvote 0
Something thats really bothered me lately, on big maps like orel, black day july and the new one (cant remember the name) my shots always go high, its like my sights are out by 1000m.

If I set the range to defualt (zero?) and shoot, my round goes nowhere near what I aimed at (if the target was close). It goes flying over the target? Is what Im saying clear? Ive asked it before but got no responses.....

So recently I havent even bothered with the big tank maps. Like I said it only happens on big ones, Arad my sights are bang on.

Does anyone know whats going on?

Upvote 0
Something thats really bothered me lately, on big maps like orel, black day july and the new one (cant remember the name) my shots always go high, its like my sights are out by 1000m.

If I set the range to defualt (zero?) and shoot, my round goes nowhere near what I aimed at (if the target was close). It goes flying over the target? Is what Im saying clear? Ive asked it before but got no responses.....

So recently I havent even bothered with the big tank maps. Like I said it only happens on big ones, Arad my sights are bang on.

Does anyone know whats going on?

You haven't read the last, like 5 posts on this thread, have you?

Upvote 0
You haven't read the last, like 5 posts on this thread, have you?

I admit I missed that post, SORRY.

But honestly, I cant stand it when "some" people jump in and bash people for asking a question. You know not everyone comes to the forums every single day, and as such we dont see the "same questions asked a hundred times".

lastly, this issue isnt exclusive to the T-34 & KV-1 for me. I get the same problem in german tanks, and if YOU bothered to read my post you would have known that its only an issue for me on large maps. (instead you jump in and get sarcastic) On maps like Arad the sights are bang on in both german & soviet tanks. I use a widescreen monitor, but why on earth would this be an issue with only a few vehicles and not others?

But hey, thanks for taking the time to give me some input, it was really helpfull.:rolleyes:

Edit: After searching "widescreens", Widescreen Issue's", "tank sights" I still havent found anything that deals with my problem. Im not saying the thread isnt out there but Im not finding it, search doesnt always work that well as stated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0