• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - demo release today :)

/linuX/gitano

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
germany
Hi!

http://community.enemyterritory.com/index.php?q=node/129

As covered in the blog last week, the Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Demo will be released later today! The official release time is 10 AM Pacific / 6 PM British / 7 PM Central European. We are going to have a list of mirrors here on the site once the demo is released.
Leading up to the actual demo release, we are going to have an IRC chat with members of the development team in the official ETQW IRC channel. You'll be able to submit your questions during the chat, so this is a great chance for you to get information straight from the people behind the game. The details for the chat are as follows:
Network: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #quakewars
Chat Start Time: 9:15 AM Pacific / 5:15 PM British / 6:15 PM Central European

Yay, finally! Cannot wait for the evening :)

greetz,
gitano

I played it and I get mixed feeling out of it. Rather positive though.

Only real negative is that it somehow doesn't run as smooth on everything max & 1280x1024, I get 30 to 50fps average. You'd think that's good but somehow it still doesn't run smooth, maybe the server lagged. Other than that it's actually really fun, I found myself to be a very good sniper, when the round ended i had like 7 ranks up and 2 rewards or sth lol, I MIGHT buy it, but first I'll have to see how much money I have to spend and what other games there are.

Upvote 0
Yo,

To be honest, the first time i started it i had some very mixed feelings...t'was like "omg, arcade!...but looks nice..."

Well the 2nd time (after spectating for half an hour :D) i liked it much more, somehow... i dont know, but this is probably something i will learn to love by the time. Not that "Dang, thats it!" moment when i first started up RO 2-3 years ago, but something different... hell, i think i need to get through some tutorials toget used to all these nice classes and vehicles :).

Buying?

Of course i'll buy it! Not at least because of the Mac/ Linux support. SD/ID rulez, for that matter.
All in all i can smell a similar longlasting game like W:ET was (How long is it on the market now? 5 years? 7 years? And still tons of full servers... oO).

@bloodypotato: bit offtopic, are we? :) Dunno nothing about a 8800 nor Ubuntu, but in any case the nvidia binary drivers should work (if that card is supported). Did u look at wiki.ubuntu.com? If it doesn't work, what exactly doesnt work and what does google say to this? If u have some error messages i might help u -> pm me.

Btw, linux demo is not out yet, i hope they'll release it within the next weeks, too. In any case we can expect it shortly after 28th september.

greetz,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Enemy Territory was supposed to be an expansion for RtCW with single- and multiplayer. The singleplayer turned out to be crappy so they released the multiplayer for free so the work wasn't completely in vain.

ET:QW is an entirely new game and as nothing at all to do with the old ww2 ET as far as I know.

Does anyone know the system requirements for that game both minimum and recommended?

Upvote 0
Hi,

http://community.enemyterritory.com/?q=node/124

What You'll Need With Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars finished, we've got the system requirements locked down and finalized. Here's what you need in order to run the Demo:
  • SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS
  • Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP/Vista (Windows 95/98/ME/2000 are unsupported)
  • Microsoft DirectX(R) 9.0c (included)
  • HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS
  • CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 2.8 GHz or AMD(R) Athlon(TM) XP 2800+ processor (Pentium 4 3.0GHz or equivalent for Windows Vista)
  • RAM: 512MB RAM (768MB for Windows Vista)
  • Video Card: 128MB NVIDIA(R) Geforce(TM) 5700 or ATI(TM) Radeon(TM) 9700 (full list of supported chipsets below)
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
  • HDD Space: 750MB of free hard drive space, plus 200MB for Windows swap file
  • Internet: Broadband connection and service required for full gameplay and downloads. Features may change without notice.
  • SUPPORTED VIDEO CHIPSETS
  • NVIDIA GeforceFX Series (5700 or higher, not including 5700LE and 5700VE)
  • NVIDIA Geforce 6 Series (6200 or higher)
  • NVIDIA Geforce 7 Series (7300 or higher)
  • NVIDIA Geforce 8 Series
  • ATI Radeon 9700 or higher
  • ATI Radeon X700 or higher
  • ATI Radeon X1650 or higher

Lets say, if your machine runs q4/ doom3, its supposed to run et:qw as well. Runs like a charm with highest settings on a amd64 3500+/ 512mb ram/ 7600GT, here.
Actually its quite similar to ET, imho. Has a similar gameplay experience and feeling...only with tons of more stuff added. Oh and did i mention that i tend to like it more and more? :) I mean its fast, ok...but once
u got used to that its pure fun.

Btw, just managed to get it running under wine as described here:

http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3134
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=8366

... already runs perfect this way :) Hell...i think the native client will blow!

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0
Hmm I'm a little disappointed- not from a technical or gameplay viewpoint, but from the mood of the game from first impressions.
From the map provided it looks a little like BF2, - if it's set around strogg invading earth then i guess all the initial maps will be like somewhat this, and the GDF and their vehicles look a bit too like a generic modern unit, common in games like this.
After playing the single player, and being pretty immersed by it i really wanted more alien landscapes, and to play as/against hardcore marines rather than this 'home guard' version, the GDF.
I guess if it's set on earth what can you do, but they could have made it stand out from bf2 and others more had they used a space setting, phaps using faces and voices of the origional marine characters. I think they may have missed a trick and wandered away from the strengths of Q4.
Also the stroggs voice commands sounded odd - like grumpy heavy smokers, not really convincing enough for me. Also hearing Strogg say 'thank you' and 'your welcome' doesn't sound right.

weapons were pretty good though.
I guess i basically wanted a mass vehicle objective based version of the 1 player game.

Upvote 0