• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

That Crazy Feeling the game gives you.

So, we have all experienced a rewarding feeling and satisfaction while and after playing what is a great game.

What games have given you those feelings and most importantly, How long did it last ?

in my case.

Doom on my first pc being a 133Mhz with 16Ram.
Not single player but playing with my best friend by dial up modem.
-Got old after a month

Warcraft2 56k modem
-Great strategy game.... the feeling lasted a few months.

Quake1 singleplayer.

Starcraft
-Some of the best gaming experience of my life, mostly the time I was always playing with one friend, being nearly unbeatable.

Halflife1

CS1.5 pre-steam
Played this since beta5, but this game truely shined when I found an AMAZING Clan that promoted teamplay and good attitude.
CS was one hell of an amazing game for its time, and having a mature server for adults, playing with good people who just play to have a good time was great.
(also being CS, keeping rules such as no swearing made an admin's job VERY busy... "No Swearing please" "What??? You F****** PU****" "amx_ban ......"
I was enjoyed CS for about 4 years... mostly for the people

Battlefield2
I got this game with 2 friends before a long weekend.
We made a little 3 people lan and played together.... It was great.
2 weeks later... I was getting tired of the bull.

Red Orchestra
Sucked on my first few hours...
Gets better and better ... but slowly...
After 2 months... WAW... It's just so good.
after 1 year... its still good, but the feeling only comes when you fall on this random server with random people playing as a team.

Besides that, FarCry, FEAR and HL2 singleplayer gave me some great moments.

Battlezone 1.
The magnificent combination of first person shooter and real time strategy game has allways left me wanting more.
It's just sheer awesomeness, building up your camp from a first person view while flying around in your hover tank!
Putting defense turrets to defend your base from enemy attack, but you could only get 10 defense units, and 10 offense units, so you had to figure out the best strategy to maintain your base while killing the enemies base.
Combined with the best controls ever in a game wich made controlling your tank and building your base a cinch!
There is a Battlezone 2, but it's AI is so bad that original Battlezone's units outgun them in every way. In BZ2 it isnt a weird site to see one of your own hovertanks bump into the enemy (literally!) and not even shooting.
So, Battlezone:
+ Combination of FPS and RTS
+ Great controls
+ Great story (i love the twist at the end)
- It has an ending :(
Lasting? Hell, if i didnt know every mission i'd still be playing it, despite graphics!

Operation Flashpoint.
The feeling your a small cog in a huge machine of war, and its realism, story and characters (that is one of the best things of OFP too IMO: it has a personal story to it, unlike for example Delta Force etc, while still being a war sim!)
+ Realism
+ Story and characters
+ Slow progression (in the sense of the fact you are a generic infantryman at a big part of the game, untill you get your own squad to command later on... but by the time you get it, you truely feel like youre an experienced soldier and you are ready to lead missions yourself!)
+ Length
+ Great mod community! (could fill my entire harddisk of 320 gb and still not have every mod out there!)
+ Great add-ons (Red Hammer and Resistance)
- No join-in-progress multiplayer... And MP is hard accessible now, since there are so many mods to download!

Upvote 0
Wow.

Digging -way- back in the day ... 688 Attack Sub on my old 8088. It was loads of fun, in spite of CGA graphics! :D Same for the original Falcon. Both of those lasted for a couple years with me, until I got a 386 and could play Wolfenstein!

The first Rainbow6. I was totally blown the hell away. Lasted maybe 6-8 months.

Starfleet Command 1. 3-4 months.

The biggest rush I ever had in a video game, though, was actually from COD2, in single player. I'd seen the ads for it, wanted it, bought it ... and for the next three days or so, I didn't step away from the desk. It got old after ... prolly 2 weeks for the single player, 2-3 months for multiplayer. I got sick of dealing with all the dickheads that were cheating.

Red Orchestra has been the longest-lasting, though. I got it the day it hit the stores, and haven't looked back since. It's been the only game that I've played for more than 2-3 hours in the past year and a half.

Upvote 0
"Raven Shield". Singleplayer or Co-Op. It was mighty awesome at first and when it started to get boring we (me and a friend) upped the terrorist count and the difficulty and then we decided to play without heart beat sensor. Still awesome. One of the best tactical shooters I know.

"Operation Flashpoint". The atmosphere, that you have to get to the hot zones first and that missions can go wrong if you screw up or you just have bad luck but they still go on unless you die. It doesn't feel like rushing from objctive to objective and throwing switches left and right to get more enemies to kill but it feels like actually being on a mission. The AI has problems in urban areas but who cares. Its also very lengthy and "Resistance" adds a whole lot to it. I was slightly dissapointed by Red Hammer, but there were a few good missions in there too.
If you need new missions you can make your own in a matter of minutes using either the regular mission editor or the mission wizzard. What this means is endless replayability and you can make your own missions exactly as hard as you want them to be. So you always harvest that "feeling" you refer to if you invest a few minutes in the editor.

"Ninja Gaiden Black". THE combat focused action adventure. For a 100% linear singleplayer game without mod-support the value is insane and because the difficulty is so well crafted it is always challenging and rewarding.

Mario Kart 64 Battle. I could play that forever. Unfortunately my N64 controllers are worn out so much that I can't drive proper turns anymore. I don't play it on the N64 anymore now.
Killing someone with three well placed green shells...
Driving through a bunch of green sheels who are ricocheting on the lowest level of "Block Fort" without getting hurt...
Sweet Bob o' Bomby revenge...
Simply the best game I ever played.

Upvote 0
The AAA mod server- a deathmatch server I stumbled across for UT99 many years ago - had mad high powererd auto laser rifles with low grav/quad jump and a great crowd who would always stop shooting for a chat and a laugh every so often.
They had monsters imported from unreal 1, peridodic slowmo effects and other cool stuff - the admin would always be testin new weapons and ideas all the time.
They rans 100's of maps set to great music, and everyone buzzed around in bright garish skins 'cos although there were some class players, winning wasn't really important.
Still up and running I believe.

Upvote 0
Loading up Starsiege: Tribes after saving up for months to buy it. I bought it on a Tuesday and had to wait until Saturday morning to play it, since I was in Jr. High School at the time and wasn't allowed to game on school nights.

That game was just so great. I remember waking up Saturday Morning, installing it, and not leaving the PC until 4 or 5 in the evening.

Flying vehicles in multiplayer carrying other teammates? Unbelievable! I can walk to that mountain in the distance? You're kidding!

I loved setting up as a sniper on a far hill, picking off guys repairing turrets on the base... Tribes will always be my favorite game.

Upvote 0
I had the same experience with Tribes 2. Had 56k in the Tribes 1 days so I never got into that. What a game series. Too bad it's gone for good. :'(

As far as my experiences go...

- DoD when the MGs were first initiated, that game had AMAZING gameplay before they ruined it. It had the feeling of being a part of a WW2 movie, not aiming to be incredibly realistic, but not quake-like either.

- Half-Life. I first experienced this at a friend's house, and was amazed at how different it was than FPS's as I knew them. Ammo was on desks instead of floating in the air, great atmosphere again.

- Counter-Strike. Nothing can beat the tense feeling of being the last terrorist hiding in the house in cs_militia, waiting for your impending doom in the bathroom while 6 counter-terrorists hunt you down. Lots of Oh S*** moments in that game.

Recently I've gotten into World of Warcraft, and hitting that last level was SO rewarding.

Upvote 0
I had the same experience with Tribes 2. Had 56k in the Tribes 1 days so I never got into that. What a game series. Too bad it's gone for good. :'(

As far as my experiences go...

- DoD when the MGs were first initiated, that game had AMAZING gameplay before they ruined it. It had the feeling of being a part of a WW2 movie, not aiming to be incredibly realistic, but not quake-like either.

- Half-Life. I first experienced this at a friend's house, and was amazed at how different it was than FPS's as I knew them. Ammo was on desks instead of floating in the air, great atmosphere again.

- Counter-Strike. Nothing can beat the tense feeling of being the last terrorist hiding in the house in cs_militia, waiting for your impending doom in the bathroom while 6 counter-terrorists hunt you down. Lots of Oh S*** moments in that game.

Recently I've gotten into World of Warcraft, and hitting that last level was SO rewarding.

Yea... just wait until they release their new expansion pack which ups the level cap to 80....

Upvote 0
Ok, i've just played Vanguard - Saga of Heroes, and now i have to add it to my list!
Bought the game 2 days back, started playing the day before yesterday, the whole evening, and then yesterday pretty much all day long!
It's amazing to see an MMO that does not consist of grinding only (looking at you World of Warcraft, Lineage 2, Archlord... you name em), this game actually
offers 2 entire different gamemodes for play!
Crafting and Diplomacy. While we all know crafting is in other games as well, its a real simple affair there: get items, press create and done! An item wich is of good quality by default! Here however, you have to get into a 'minigame', wich gives you a certain amount of points, with wich you have to create your item!
This plays out like this: place item, tighten item on workbench, clean item, work on item, finish item. You have to do things multiple times to complete that part of the process... You also need the right tools for the job! and thats not all! You can get cramps, cut yourself in the hand, start accidental small fires, mess up calculations wich you have to remedy, and if you dont do that they will change the quality of your endproduct. But they cost points and materials, so do you have enough to finish the item after taking a quick break, or do relaxing exercises after you got musclepain etc? In the end you will have an A, B, C, or D-rated product, ready for sale :cool:

And then there is diplomacy. Diplomacy can be used to get influence over NPC's.
A highlevel diplomat for example, could get the mayor of a town to give the players guild the right to build their guild hall in that area, or their correspondent houses!
You could barter with vendors for better prices for items.
And there is a whole sidestory with quests for diplomacy as well, if you like something more coherent and with a bit of a story!
For example, my Thestran Human DreadKnight is now in his starters area, talking to all 4 dominant politics houses, talking to everyone, taking quests to mislead characters from opposing houses etc.
Right now i work for all 4 of them, but i bring out spy reports to only one of them :D
And there is a minigame for that too: you get a set of cards, as does the opponent. There is a bar on the right, wich you will have to have filled up into your side, so that you use 'conversation points'. When your conversation points reach zero, you win. If the opponent's CP's reach 0, you lose.
Now you get a set of cards, of wich some give you 'expression'.
Expression is the fuel to play your most powerfull cards (and thus will fill the bar up to your side). However, most cards also fuel the enemy, so you have to watch out not to give him to much, or he will have full availability to his most powerfull cards, and thus he will win in the conversation!
So the trick is to fuel yourself as much as you can without fueling the enemy, then use your cards (wich fuel the enemy, mostly too) to get the conversation your way, and in the end you will have persuaded your enemy.
High level Diplomats are a rarity however, so when you do get level 50 as a diplomat, your very special and people will scream and pay for you to get stuff done for them!

And ofcourse there is the combat too :D
And i allmost forgot about harvesting! You can get a primary and a secondary harvesting skill. Those can be either lumberjack, stonemason, skinner, miner etc. All these items you get from harvesting you obviously use for crafting.

Bored of killing things for quests? Go diplomat and talk people over, or go harvest and craft your way up.
Up to now it hasnt been the least bit boring yet :)

Now the best part haha.
All these different playmodes all have their own set of clothing to wear!
So right now, i'm in position of a full body armour for my dreadknight, but i also have lumberjack's cloths, diplomat's clothes, and crafting clothes!
And you can get special stuff for your mount as well (accessible from level 10, as the world is fricking HUGE), like saddlebags, horseshoes, etc.

From the creators of Everquest 1, the most hardcore, and deep MMORPG of all time! (when you die you basically get respawned without your clothes except when it's soulbound to you, lose a ton of experience, and have to do a corpserun back to your body to reclaim your items and a bit of your experience. Or you can just summon it back at the altar, but it costs money and you wont get any experience back)

Upvote 0
- Half-Life. I first experienced this at a friend's house, and was amazed at how different it was than FPS's as I knew them. Ammo was on desks instead of floating in the air, great atmosphere again..............

I'll never forget how mindblowing HL was 1st time round. That style of narrative and interaction is a given now in single player shooter games, but the standard was set there.
I feel sorry for ppl who didn't play it upon it's release, cos they missed experiencing a defining moment in shooters: a huge leap forward for it's time.

Upvote 0
Wow... I got bored of WOW.
Got it 1 month ago.
10 day trial was GOLDEN... one weekend, made it to Level 16.

Now I have a lvl23 Paladin in turylon server resting in stormwind...

And I AM BORED OF THIS GAME
level 20's to late 30's is BORING.

Yes, the game is to my knowledge the best Role Playing Game (and yes I know there is guild wars that is just as good)
Yes WOW is complete and well though out... there is just so much...
Great game.... but it reminded me I want results fast, that I have a ****load of work to do.... and made me realize, I am truely not an RPG kinda guy.

Level1 to 20 was pretty fun tho.

(and I have 2 more months already prepaied. if anyone wants to powerlvlup my fully rested XP Pal)

Upvote 0