• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Commander Map Ability

Rich_Zap

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
I was just playing RO today and it occured to me that it might be a good diea if the commander had the ability to draw on the map. Its been done before in games like Defcon. Basically the commander would be able to use the mouse to draw simple vector based lines which would be red and transparent.

These would then be uploaded to all the other players on the team allowing the commander to coordinate complex battleplans or highlight important targets which arent objectives.

An options box within game settings could be included as to whether or not this is displayed on someones map.

Drawing penises on the map to achieve victory should be a perfectly legitimate thing. In fact, Hitler's breakthrough tactic in April 1945 was based on precisely that: the Schwangstoss, or the Penis-Stab.

If only that's not detrimental to the net traffic already going around.

Upvote 0
Well If people are abusing a feature like this then they should be kicked :p just as with voice chat if people are being abusive or tking or whatever.

As for network overhead it shouldnt be that much, the vectors composing the lines that would be drawn only have to be sent once to each player and there wouldnt be that much information there anyway.

We already have the mouse pointer come up when the map opens anyway, not that theres any way to use it :rolleyes:.

Upvote 0
Well, why should they be kicked?

I personally think the NCO/Squadleader-class should be an awarded class, to the player which uses teamwork, to score points, the most.

If he draws penisses on the map, he should be demoted by voting, banning him from the NCO/Squadleader-class.

This filters the correct people for the correct classes.

Upvote 0
This is a real good idea. It will definatly make coordinating team play easier, and the fact its visual instruction will help with language barrier problems on public servers.

One way around people abusing the feature might be to have standard symbols, (arrows etc...) that are draged and droped rather than free draw?
Well, you could still make inappropriate symbols and figures with a set of symbols.

Upvote 0
While it sounds like a good idea it wouldnt help at all. Voice communication is just as easy to use and people totaly ignore that 90% of the time. theres a way for the commander to mark points on the map for everyone to see and that gets ignored whenever it is used. I would much rather see some of the major bugs fixed in the game before they go to the trouble to add something as complex as this. getting local chat to work in tanks more then 10% of the time would help a ton. or maybe making it so you dont randomly hear the other team talking in team chat. Always nice when the other side hears your plans.

I honestly think the best we can hope for is someone worth while is reading through these suggestions looking for ideas for a future fps game. But after years of seeing next to no changes in the basic fps setup i wouldnt get your hopes up. The average gamer seems to be satisfied paying for the same old crap churned out over and over with better grafix and fancy visual effects instead of new ground breaking gameplay.

Upvote 0
While it sounds like a good idea it wouldnt help at all. Voice communication is just as easy to use and people totaly ignore that 90% of the time. theres a way for the commander to mark points on the map for everyone to see and that gets ignored whenever it is used. I would much rather see some of the major bugs fixed in the game before they go to the trouble to add something as complex as this. getting local chat to work in tanks more then 10% of the time would help a ton. or maybe making it so you dont randomly hear the other team talking in team chat. Always nice when the other side hears your plans.

I honestly think the best we can hope for is someone worth while is reading through these suggestions looking for ideas for a future fps game. But after years of seeing next to no changes in the basic fps setup i wouldnt get your hopes up. The average gamer seems to be satisfied paying for the same old crap churned out over and over with better grafix and fancy visual effects instead of new ground breaking gameplay.
I have to agree, I'd prefer to see bugs fixed before the addition of new features, even though I do think this would be a good one.

Upvote 0
While it sounds like a good idea it wouldnt help at all. Voice communication is just as easy to use and people totaly ignore that 90% of the time. theres a way for the commander to mark points on the map for everyone to see and that gets ignored whenever it is used.

Actually, come to think of it, I believe that people don't listen to the commander when he marks some random points on the map because there doesn't seem to be any instruction accompanying it. That is, people see some point marked on the map, but they don't know what to do with it.

And I can't think of any instance when a commander really tried using his map-marking ability in conjunction with VoIP... oh, wait, there were a few cases on FKR's Orel servers some two months back.

It's not that people shouldn't be given more tools that aid in coordinating a team just because they don't know how to properly use the current set of tools. And being able to mark lines on a map would go way beyond marking a single point - you'd be able to indicate arcs of attack, approach angles, no-go zones, etc.

Upvote 0
I support this idea.
It's basically what the ROTactics tool does, only then realtime and ingame. And i know it can be a real help to clans to prepare tactics. Discuss them, show them to eachother, its great.
It could improve public play a lot in terms of teamplay. One can worry about drawn penisses, but that's not really a good comment against the idea IMHO as only a select group of people would do this, and the majority wouldnt.
That comment could be used against VoIP as well, as there are a lot of grievers who use that to annoy other people as well, yet mostly it is not abused and used well.

Upvote 0
That comment could be used against VoIP as well, as there are a lot of grievers who use that to annoy other people as well, yet mostly it is not abused and used well.

Zat, sir, is korrekt.

Plus, with map-drawing option clanners could not only pre-plan tactics, but - with a briliant commander - could improvise a counter-tactic in-game. Secks, no?

Upvote 0