• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Guess the helmet thread

Ok, I show you stuff we have on our attic. I don't know anything about these helmets. I don't know if they were once owned by my ancestor or if these are the helmets once belonged to the guy who owned this house (and the attic).
One of the helmets is cleary german but the second one is ... I don't know. Maybe its russian but I don't think it was used in WWII.

Let the guessing begin.

DSC01927.jpg

DSC01931.jpg

DSC01932.jpg

DSC01930.jpg

i think its a Czechoslovakian m/34 Helmet

07.jpg

Matt khaki varnish coat, weight around 1,1 kg.
Model designed in early 1930's, purpose was to protect from bullets. Oval shape with rounded sides to bounce back a bullet from every angle.
Shell of 1,1 mm thick chrome-nickel alloy steel.
Specially handled steel was elastic and could take a load up to 100 kg, so no edge-reinforcements were needed.
Liner had five leather cushions fastened with steel strips and cotter pins.

Upvote 0
And I truly thought that none of existing helmets was designed for that purpose - I've heard that even if it will stop bullet, the hit will be as hard as if one gets hit with sledgehammer to the head.

You learn something new everyday..

I'd always read that they were only intended to protect the head from fragments.

Regardless, I'd love to see that Czech helmet, with its 1.1mm thickness, try to stop a 7.92x57.

Upvote 0
I would agree on WWI for the left one but the right one is NOT NVA. Their helmets looked like this:
What kind of helmet did the Russians wear in WWI? Maybe none :confused: I am confused about the right helmet ???

In Ww1 the Russians used the Adrian helmet m15. Also used by the French, Italians.
Even the British tried the Adrian model but it was never used, one of the reasons why they made a model of their one. the Mk1.
Anyways going back to the Russian Adrian model, this model was used in Ww1 and in Ww2 because of shortage on helmets (they simply used everything they gould crasp). The picture below is a nice example from pottia.net , !!!!repainted !!! Russian helmets are hard to get, they are rather expensive if you come across and the ones used in ww2 are postwar used and the same model of f.e. the Ssh40 was manufactured untill 1959.

331f.jpg

Upvote 0
It's bit of a missunderstanding the NVA is german for National Volksarmee (National People's Army) but the Northe Vietnamese Army is NVA too in german. The people here never confuse this here (mostly nobody is talking of anything that has to do with history).

The Finnish Army also used german WWI era helmets that leads to a conclusion :rolleyes: ...

Maybe they mean with defelect bullets smaller calibres such as 9mm which many of these "modern" helmets could actually deflect but outdated helmets like the British one couldn't?

As far as I know there doesn't exists a helmet which can deflect 8mm Mauser until today :eek:.

Upvote 0
It's bit of a missunderstanding the NVA is german for National Volksarmee (National People's Army) but the Northe Vietnamese Army is NVA too in german. The people here never confuse this here (mostly nobody is talking of anything that has to do with history).

The Finnish Army also used german WWI era helmets that leads to a conclusion :rolleyes: ...

Maybe they mean with defelect bullets smaller calibres such as 9mm which many of these "modern" helmets could actually deflect but outdated helmets like the British one couldn't?

As far as I know there doesn't exists a helmet which can deflect 8mm Mauser until today :eek:.

Welp, I realize this isn't necessarily a fair test to compare to a helmet, since well, it's not a helmet ... but given what the 9mm can do to it ... I don't think it'd be worth putting any helmet on my head to test the theory.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot3.htm

Upvote 0
Helmets of WWI and II were designed to stop shrapnel. Mainly in WWI because air bursts were killing men in the trenches. They were pretty useless when it came to anything more then a pistol round. My grandfather had a Japanese sniper shoot him through the helmet on Okinawa. Luckily it only grazed his head once it got through and knocked him out.

Upvote 0