• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why does sniper have to be a class?

Only annoying thing about snipers is the constant "Let me snipe, i'm really good with it" in chat.....

Yes, sorry to say that chat like that is actually more annoying than even a good sniper is on a map. I would rather be shot a few times by a sniper than watch people whine that they want/need/can't live without their sniper rifle :D

Upvote 0
Why even discuss about snipers? For RO, they are quite unimportant. You can hit anything on almost any map range using a normal rifle. One single sniper rifle on each team usually does not make any difference. Snipers are quite useless battle-wise, since they usually don't even capture objectives, so they could as well be left out and nobody would notice that. It is just another camper on a map who does not help getting the job done. I agree that finding a good fire position is vital - but to hell, the aim of the game is capturing or holding objectives, and I never realized that one single guy with a scope does have any impact on that.

Hell, snipers could be useful if they actually would try to help their teammates - sniping MGs or shooting tank commanders and drivers that stick their head out at the other end of the map. But most of the guys that get the sniper rifle just sit somewhere on the map, racking up kills that could as well be racked up using a normal rifle.

Upvote 0
I disagree.

Being an above average sniper, I can prolong the battle if my team arent very good!

Like yesterday on this horrible custom map, my team was very disorganized & the germans would have steamrolled us alot quicker if I did not succesfully take out there advancing storm troopers!

I was using the scoped svt which is extremely hard to use against long range moving targets! But I stuck with it as I was expecting the fight to get alot closer cos my team was getting slaughtered by their sniper.

We both ended up top of the score board but he had about 50 points more!!!

Upvote 0
Why even discuss about snipers? For RO, they are quite unimportant. You can hit anything on almost any map range using a normal rifle. One single sniper rifle on each team usually does not make any difference. Snipers are quite useless battle-wise, since they usually don't even capture objectives, so they could as well be left out and nobody would notice that. It is just another camper on a map who does not help getting the job done. I agree that finding a good fire position is vital - but to hell, the aim of the game is capturing or holding objectives, and I never realized that one single guy with a scope does have any impact on that.

Hell, snipers could be useful if they actually would try to help their teammates - sniping MGs or shooting tank commanders and drivers that stick their head out at the other end of the map. But most of the guys that get the sniper rifle just sit somewhere on the map, racking up kills that could as well be racked up using a normal rifle.
If you've ever had a GOOD sniper on your team or against your team I think you'd change your view. The way people analyze snipers is faulty. They analyze based on the performance of poor snipers. Also sniper are supposed to "camp" they aren't shock assault troops. There's more to the game than just having every player pile into the cap zone. If one team has an expert sniper and the other team has a terrible sniper+ the tanker(s) are poor/non-existant and the map is a large map you will be praying for mercy or eventually just disconnect from the server from frustration, trust me. Don't downplay the importance of a good sniper. They are very important despite the fact that most players aren't that good with it.

Upvote 0
Most people are too used to sniping in games using hitscan! The concept of leading your target will always be beyond their grasp!

Until they forget games like cod & dod, they will always be a the crap sniper!
No doubt. Here's a session I had that displays how to lead your targets. All these shots were made on RUNNING targets with the exception of the 2 at the AT bunker those were merely squiggling. Did I mention that I wasn't even the designated sniper? I found the rifle from a dead comrade. http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=84716ED47A7ED825

Upvote 0
Well I'm trying to demonstrate some good sniping for those that think snipers are 100% useless and just for people with scope fetishes. Like I said shots were made on running targets so I had to lead them appropriately. I've made much farther shots on running targets but those screenshots got deleted when my PC died+ I rarely play RO (maybe 6 hours every 3 weeks). I don't like bragging I'm a humble guy but seriously man if I wanted to I could play as sniper from the start of the round and put a severe damper on the enemy teams enthusiam if I wanted to but I don't. I only snipe if I find a rifle because as I mentioned it's more fun for me that way and also it gives other players who want to snipe their chance to snipe. One sided beat downs aren't something I strive for really. Anyway other people should post some videos or screens if they have them showing excellent sniping to prove that the kneejerk response of "snipers are useless/you can do it all with just a regular rifle" can maybe be retired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sniper Whining

Sniper Whining

I for one is very disappointed at the whining about sniping. Many times a good round is ruined with some "expert" *****ing and trying to shame a new player into giving up the sniper rifle because they are "better".
Knock it off and enjoy the game. Join a fing clan if you want and go to a password protected server.:mad:

Upvote 0
Some maps, Odessa for instance, make the sniper role a very important one indeed. Ideally the Russians need a good sniper to take out the MGs and snipers in the buildings, especially the one in Grecheskaya Square and the Germans need a good sniper to kill the Russian sniper.

But anyway, Sniper should stay as a class.
I disagree, more often than not I see the Russians taking these guys out with rifles, balls and bayonets :p

The engagement ranges even on the more open parts of Odessa are so short that all it takes is a good angle a quick aimed shot and 'show's over Mr. German LMG'.

Rabid sniper obsession seems to be a facet of every online shooter that features a sniper weapon. I find much more enjoyment in using the regular rifles personally. In fact I shoot much better with the standard rifles as I know how far to lead targets in measurements of 'sight post'. For example shooting from the wall to the path up to shepheards hut on Kaukasus I know is about a 1.5 front sight post lead on a sprinting target and a 'leading edge of player' shot on a trotting enemy etc. The magnification of the scope changes the amount of on screen measure and messes up my leading.

Sniper shouldn't stay a class in my opinion it should be removed completely from most if not all maps. Realistically snipers were a company level asset, they have no place among the battles of RO.

Upvote 0
Reason why I like the sniper rifle

Reason why I like the sniper rifle

I like being sniper for one reason and one reason only.

I don't like squinting at my computer screen, my eyes are bad enough!!!!!

Honestly that's the only reason why I like having a scope it's easier on my eyes.

It's the same reason why I use a scope on my remington 30-06. I can't see a man sized target at 600yrds very well without a scope =(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hrmmm to counter the scope fetish we should edit the snipers scores a bit. basically killing a rifleman/assaulttroop/tanker/antitanker..etc count for ZERO points. the sniper can only gain points from killing the commander/machinegunner/tankcommander/snipers. which is a helluva lot more realistic, as some snipers would wait for days just to shoot an officer instead of picking off 100 regular soldiers...

Upvote 0
hrmmm to counter the scope fetish we should edit the snipers scores a bit. basically killing a rifleman/assaulttroop/tanker/antitanker..etc count for ZERO points. the sniper can only gain points from killing the commander/machinegunner/tankcommander/snipers. which is a helluva lot more realistic, as some snipers would wait for days just to shoot an officer instead of picking off 100 regular soldiers...

Thats not a bad idea. In effect the snipers in RO are marksmen anyway, and are really there to take out a troublesome mg or tank commander that can't be flanked or bypassed conventionaly. Anything that disuaeded the score board whoring you so often see from most snipers would be welcome in my opinion.

Upvote 0