• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Great new tank map!

Pay no attention to them. Stay in the valleys and position yourself so they can't hit you. When that cap zone becomes active, move up. There's little incentive to drive 10 minutes to kill someone who has almost no impact on the battle-at-hand.

i found myself many times looking to the north and noticing russian tanks coming out of their spawnzones behind me!
so i rotated my tank and started shooting them in the back, and taking them all out.
i didn't do anything on purpous, i was positioned to the north with 3 other tanks and we came from the south. when i saw russian tanks coming out behind us.

this might be when one side of the map is capped and the other one isnt,

Upvote 0
I'm a big tank nut, I hardly ever play infantry anymore and I'm sorry to say I'm really disappointed in this new map. The long viewdistance and good graphics of the map despite this is just wasted with a map layout that is not only extremely unrealistic, but also downright silly. It just feels like deathmatch with tanks.

Actually being able to spawn BEHIND the enemy is a huge nono in my book. You should have to work in order to flank the enemy, not conveniently spawn behind them and shoot them all to hell before they even knew what happened.

I'll stick to debrecen.

The problem is the enemy has either overrun the cap point (their fault, or they're trying to outflank you), OR they were in there capping when the middle field got capped back. In which case, I don't think having the entire field their in turn into a minefield would be anymore realistic. Suddenly they blow up for no reason?

I'd also be pissed if I had spent 5 or 10 minutes driving down there for the cap, loose the middle, then blow up and have to start back at spawn. I'd much rather turn around and go back to cap the middle field. Much more realistic than magical spawning mines.

Upvote 0
The problem is the enemy has either overrun the cap point (their fault, or they're trying to outflank you), OR they were in there capping when the middle field got capped back. In which case, I don't think having the entire field their in turn into a minefield would be anymore realistic. Suddenly they blow up for no reason?

I'd also be pissed if I had spent 5 or 10 minutes driving down there for the cap, loose the middle, then blow up and have to start back at spawn. I'd much rather turn around and go back to cap the middle field. Much more realistic than magical spawning mines.

Who said anything about adding magical mines? I hate those with a passion, and they wouldn't fix the fact that the map layout is a total mess. Only a major overhaul would.

Upvote 0
I read this and had to re-read it to make sure of what you were saying: Are you saying that 'hull down' tactics for tanks (in order to make them more survivable) takes *away* from realism? Are you saying that the gun mantlet is one of the *weakest* points on a WW2 tank? Please tell me you had an entirely diffrent meaning than what I read this as saying, because I will have to strongly argue both points.

'Hull down' is a perfectly valid armor tactic- and a preferred one, in many cases- *because* it provides a tank with a near-perfect firing position: if you can't hit the tank in a vulnerable spot, you can't kill it! With only the turret exposed, naturally the gun mantlet is the most prominent feature presented to the enemy, and as such is armored to the nth degreee on most tanks, even those of WW2 vintage. Note the huge slab of mantlet armor on the Tiger 1 and the equally thick, but curved, mantlet found on the Panther- note also the changes that the T-34 series went through in order to find a suvivable gun mount- as the war progressed, so did the frontal armor of their turrets as well as that of the gun mantlet.

Again, if I have mis-read your meaning you may certainly disregard all of the above- OTOH if you stand by what I *think* you mean I'd like an expanded explanation of how you arived at your conclusions.

KR

Yeah you seem to have misunderstood me. Sure haul down is realistic but in the game its over done since you can not destroy the cannon on the tank. if you cant see the haul of a tank in the game you can do zero damage to it. so a tank in a good haul down position is indestructable. This is just not realistic in the least. If the cannon could be disabled in the game then these hills would be great. but as it stands now they are just abused like mad. realisticly a round that hits the barral would disable it or a direct hit to the sites would disable it. or a hit to the machine gun would disable that. but none of this can happen. so its just a tank in god mode if you cant hit the haul. That armor didnt make the tank indestructable all it did was keep the crew alive. This is what should happen in the game. This is why im sick of the large hilly tank maps where you can get a haul down position anywhere. This is why i perfer maps where you dont have many haul down positions. They just bring out the worst in the tanking system. How many times have you been in a nice haul down position with 3 or 4 tanks shooting your turret directly from the front where most of the rounds would be hitting right around the barral of the cannon without doing any damage at all? This is whats fake this is what ruins the realism of tanking.

Upvote 0
Yeah you seem to have misunderstood me. Sure haul down is realistic but in the game its over done since you can not destroy the cannon on the tank. if you cant see the haul of a tank in the game you can do zero damage to it. so a tank in a good haul down position is indestructable. ...

first, the front of the turret and especially the gun mantlet have oftenly the thickest armor of the tank.
and secondly when tanks beyond 800 meters are hull down, it's verry easy to hit them on the hull. just aim where you think the hull is and your shell will travel in a curved line straight onto the enemy tank's hull.
the only advantage being hull down gives you, is that it's harder to estimate the range.

Upvote 0
I think the map is a good tank map. sure a bit unrealistic maybe.. i would rather see a tankmap with at least a few infantry.. maybe at least.. 3-4 on each side:) nothing that would bring down the amount of tanks alot.. since the server and map should have 50players max on:)
and maybe just 1 big field.. a little bigger then the fields now but still combined smaller then it's now.. :)

well i don't play tankmaps so much.. since i think tanks are kinda.. boring:) but i love shooting tanks with panzerfaust or the anti-tank rifle:) or satchel them:) thats why i want infantry

Upvote 0
What I like:

+ Biggest tank map yet.
+ Nice look and feel to the open areas.
+ Great plane flyovers.
+ Good skybox.
+ Handy proof of concept map to expand upon.
+ Balance seems pretty even.
+ Team tanking really shines on this map.
+ Runs great and I haven't seen any complaints about map slowdowns.

What I don't like:

- Arena feel.
- Unrealistic central hills.
- Would play better (IMO) with only one side of the map.
- 80% or more of the battles are around the center hills because both teams spawn there. Would be better if you spawned on opposite sides of the open area so the fighting was concentrated on the open plains.
- Clouds move too quickly, especially at the edges.
- Cap zones extend into the hills too far.
- Location volumes could be a bit more descriptive, especially between capzones.
- Distance between capzones is too long, resulting in players spawning behind the other team far too often. With more objectives the spawns wouldn't have to move up so far each time.
- Minefield kill time is too short (5 seconds for central hills) and often jut into the playing area at unreasonable places. Would it really hurt to bump up the kill time to 15-20 seconds?
- The roads throughout the fields look really fake because there is too many of them, and none of them lead anywhere. Perhaps put a road between each capzone for a little visual aid and make them trail off the edge of the map to look more realistic?
- Ammo boxes feel contrived and reward players who play amongst the hills, instead of out in the fields.
- Skybox is a tad too high resulting in a mild seam and doesn't blend into the background as well as it could.
- Cap times are too short IMO. Not enough back and forth battles as each team watches the little cap meter at the bottom. Also if an objective is in trouble nobody can ever get there in time to stop the cap.
- Most spawn zones can be fired into from outside their mine protection volume.
- Floating grass in several places (must be fun trying to find those, eh Sabu? :p)
- There is a bug that occurs when you fire the main tank cannon and then switch positions that doesn't credit you for the kill. This map really highlights this bug and it can get quite annoying for solo tankers.

I'm not too worried though. I'm sure by the next update I will be able to come back and delete most of the negative points on this post. :)

Upvote 0
I don't know if any of you guys played Perekop, but THAT was the map that they should have re-made. It had the huge distances. A much more interesting/believable landscape. And it had combined arms elements as well as a really cool animated train. Perekop was very ahead of its time on the old engine, and I think it would find a happy home here on the Ostfront. It was more ambitious than Berezina, aside from the AT guns. But imagine Perekop WITH the AT guns - that would be too cool :cool:.

Upvote 0
When i gave it a quick once over and opened up the overhead map, I thought it looked just like a map for total annihilation, the RTS from 8 or so years back ,for those who remember it.

progress.gif

Yep I remember it. Just what I was thinking too.

Upvote 0
My only complaint was that my tank got imobilized behind enemy lines and I was stuck for the rest of the game. Nobody to pick me up and no spawns nearby and nothing to do with my pistol.

Every tanker should have a least one grenade for the very thing. I was effectively out of the entire game and useless to my team.

Personally, I like maps that use a progressional format rather than these free for all maps. Gorlitz is my favorite. Seems more like a real battle.

Upvote 0
My only complaint was that my tank got imobilized behind enemy lines and I was stuck for the rest of the game. Nobody to pick me up and no spawns nearby and nothing to do with my pistol.

Every tanker should have a least one grenade for the very thing. I was effectively out of the entire game and useless to my team.

Personally, I like maps that use a progressional format rather than these free for all maps. Gorlitz is my favorite. Seems more like a real battle.
"Suicide???????????" Maybe?

Upvote 0

Nobody seems to know this but you can type 'suicide' (without quotes) in the console to kill yourself.

Upvote 0
I would enjoy the map much more if I would not be attacked by enemy tanks spawning behind me. This is frustating me a lot right now.

Let's say I and my team mates fight for East Field and it gets capped by the enemy. We are still in good fire positions and are trying to kill tanks in front of us to gain cap majority. Pling, Pling, Pling.. uhh where does this come from? Ahh, five enemy tanks at their new spawn exit just behind us firing at their new easy targets.

This is what I call being outmaneuvered by game mechanics.

I hope this will be fixed at some point.

Upvote 0