• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

disabling VOIP

Only on some hardware; on my systems (two out of three) and for many other users in this thread and in the other 'How do I disable VOIP?' threads this does NOT work...

Does anyone know if the inability to disable/turn off VOIP will be addressed in the new patch?

:confused:

I hope not...thats all we need, a bunch of players running around completely oblivious to what the team is planning.

Upvote 0
There are a dozen or more threads like this one where someone asks the simple question "Is it possible to completely disable VOIP?" and every nit-wit with nothing to contribute to helping answer the topic question has to chime in with why VOIP is so great, and insult the poster by telling him how if you don't use VOIP your not a "team player".

Discussion in these threads then inevitably devolves into an idiotic off-topic chase of rude presumption and why we should have to listen to hear endless adolescent babble -- as if there wasn't enough evidence by way of example of inconsiderate people that won't/don't post on topic...

So, to try and nail this down; is there in fact any way to disable VOIP in game? I've set VoiceVolume=0.000000, tweaked and dorked with every in game audio setting -- is there somthing I'm mssing? One would think with full access to OpenAL and Unreal Source Tripwire could make this work...

:(

*cough*

Upvote 0
The changelog doesn't indicate that this VOIP issue was addressed.
I think they worked on the muting issue though. So now if you mute somebody it will actually work (till they reconnect)

-p.
Yeah I noticed... Too bad... :(

Having to listen to fourteen year olds squak: "Listen up *****es this is what we gonna do." gives RO fabulous atmosphere to go with the fact that there is no render or aim features in the game to compensate for pixelation distance that only allows you to identify a man-target at a fraction of the range of real world visual acuity and concomitant game-play that's as close range and arcady as Counter-Strike now that people have mastered it.

Oh well...

:eek:

Upvote 0
I strongly suggest you keep voip on. RO is pretty much the best game for teamwork around. There are usually a few people around with mics that are willing to use them for teamwork. If you start talking tactics yourself, some people will usually follow. I can't say that for any other game. So don't be quiet!

If you want to turn it off because of voip asshattery, then don't play on American servers, because most annoying people on voip are American. No offense, but it's true. Play on European servers; people use voip for teamwork instead of being annoying.

Upvote 0
I strongly suggest you keep voip on. RO is pretty much the best game for teamwork around. There are usually a few people around with mics that are willing to use them for teamwork. If you start talking tactics yourself, some people will usually follow. I can't say that for any other game. So don't be quiet!

I agree, keep it on. The odd time you have to put up with those annoying screamers, 8 year old sounding voices or someone blaring music or whatnot into the mic are much fewer and further between than the need for the team to ALL be able to speak or at least hear what others are saying. The beauty of this game and what makes it so good is the very fact that it's a team oriented game, and the team that works best together usually wins.

When you turn off your VOIP, you take yourself from the team effort and become a single, indivual player with nothing more to contribute in terms of communication and you can't even hear when people are productively trying to include you.

There will always be goofs, just hope the admins on the server are around and get rid of them quickly, or take a break for a few mins, switch teams or find another server for the time being. Turning VOIP off, you might as well just play something in single player.

Upvote 0
Yeah I noticed... Too bad... :(

Having to listen to fourteen year olds squak: "Listen up *****es this is what we gonna do." gives RO fabulous atmosphere to go with the fact that there is no render or aim features in the game to compensate for pixelation distance that only allows you to identify a man-target at a fraction of the range of real world visual acuity and concomitant game-play that's as close range and arcady as Counter-Strike now that people have mastered it.

Oh well...

:eek:

Well actually I think they still didn't fix all the hacks. I was just playing today and this guy was spamming the radio. I muted him, but that didn't do anything. He kept changing his name too, so maybe that has something to do with it.

My point is they should have an option to disable VOIP completely or fix the damn muting system already.

Upvote 0
" When you turn off your VOIP, you take yourself from the team effort and become a single, indivual player with nothing more to contribute in terms of communication and you can't even hear when people are productively trying to include you "

This game is NOT rocket science. It is NOT hard for most of us to take part in a "team effort" w/o the use of VOIP. I have tried VOIP on many occasions and it didn't make any difference in my ability to play the game correctly. In most cases it was an immersion killer.

There is NO reason I should have to listen to some moron babble about his imaginary female conquests or deal w/ random kids screaming into the microphone.

Upvote 0
Just to add to the point axhat is making: RO has a very nice voice bind system, that's vastly more effective then UW/RO's VOIP where you've got no text translating some imbiciles illiterate patter, sound render issues, and/or someone's general lack of ability to communicate effectively. The text bind system is very realistic and complete alternative strongly perferred by many.

But one more time for those too lazy to read the thread, or even the topic title before chiming in with one more post about how anyone not using VOIP is not a 'team player' (sorry I wasn't a team player when the kids at school wanted to do circle jerks either):

There are a dozen or more threads like this one where someone asks the simple question "Is it possible to completely disable VOIP?" and every nit-wit with nothing to contribute to helping answer the topic question has to chime in with why VOIP is so great, and insult the poster by telling him how if you don't use VOIP your not a "team player".

Discussion in these threads then inevitably devolves into an idiotic off-topic chase of rude presumption and why we should have to listen to hear endless adolescent babble -- as if there wasn't enough evidence by way of example of inconsiderate people that won't/don't post on topic...

So, to try and nail this down; is there in fact any way to disable VOIP in game? I've set VoiceVolume=0.000000, tweaked and dorked with every in game audio setting -- is there somthing I'm mssing? One would think with full access to OpenAL and Unreal Source Tripwire could make this work...

:(

For those not up to date setting VoiceVolume=0.000000 does NOT disable VOIP on most systems...

There are a slew of reasons to make this a working option that have nothing to do with people just not wanting to listen to every chatty nit wit carry on; these include but certainly aren't limited to:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Open the In the "RedOrchestra.ini" file and look for the row
"VoiceVolume=4.000000"

Change it to:
"VoiceVolume=0.000000"

The names of the players will still show up when they talk but at least you get rid of the talking.

omfg if this works i'll love you long time!!!!

I am just SICK OF THE VOICE ITS SOOOOO GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

its like I join a server and its either some 13 y/o spamming or some old man talking about beer :mad:

Upvote 0
omfg if this works i'll love you long time!!!!

I am just SICK OF THE VOICE ITS SOOOOO GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

its like I join a server and its either some 13 y/o spamming or some old man talking about beer :mad:

Funny, all you guys complaining about the annoying VOIP'ers....I find that they annoying little voices or asshats are actaully pretty few and far between. Perhaps it's the server you have been playing on. Try the servers that encourage the teamwork and boot the VOIP spammers. In terms of teamwork with voice, avoid the 50 person servers, they seem to attract more than their fair share of goofs.

Upvote 0
Telling players not to play on particular servers is not an option for some, and not a solution for the issues which is broken VOIP that can not be disabled with some sound hardware and/or drivers.

And some of us just don't want to hear anyone yacking on VOIP -- especially those that believe they know what their talking about or think they're communicating effectively.

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0