• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

C++ Runtime Error After Newest Update

angrygamer

Aug 25, 2007
Not surprisingly, I've encounted errors right out of the box trying to get this game to function. I have yet to successfully run the game (can't get past splash screen).

My first issue (I'm sure there'll be more) is the C++ Runtime Library Error. I spent about an hour reviewing all the "read these first" stickies and related user posts. I was hopeful when I discovered this seemingly simple fix:

Error: C++ Library Runtime Error
Fix1:
1. Verify your cache
steam://validate/1200 <-- Use this link

Fix2: For SDK users
1. Remove SDK from your system, including the .gfc's related to it
2. Verify cache
3. Reinstall SDK

I pursued Fix1, as I did not install the SDK, but the link brings up a blank web page. My hard drive runs and stays busy for about a minute, then ... nothing. Is something special supposed to happen?

I attempted to run the game again (via the Steam console), but the same C++ error occurs.

What gives?

-- angry

Many thanks for the reply and the suggestion, fifty. Unfortunately, no dice.

Since there wasn't a "RO system" file, I deleted the "/System" folder under the "/red orchestra" folder, which is what I assume you meant.

Once the steps you suggested were complete, I attempted to launch the game, at which point the auto-update kicked in and completed. However, the same error was encountered as before shortly after the splash screen appeared.

--angry

Upvote 0
Come on then,
post your system specs, if you are on a router/firewall and what Anti-virus you run.
Error logs etc...

Latest DirectX, video/sound drivers and a few other things are important.
Are you running other games without problems.
More information is needed !

Make sure that when you delete your system file that you verify before launching the game!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the continued assistance, fif.

Stats:

P4 3.0GHz, 1.5Gb RAM
GeForce 7800GS (driver v9.1.4.7)
Router - yes (not wireless)
No firewall, no antivirus
XP Pro (5.1 build 2600)
DirectX 9.0c

Log files:

Steam.log is rather long - I hesitate to paste the contents. RedOrchestra.log is empty. All the other log files begin with "SteamStats". Please advise as to which are relevant.

My machine runs everything like a champ. Can't remember the last time I had a problem installing/running anything. I had Half-Life installed and running just a few months ago, so I know I have no problems running at least one Steam game.

I've read several threads about editing registry entries, among other things, but I'd like to knock out any simpler steps first.

Yes, I performed the validation prior to launching the game. One other noteworthy tidbit is that I first installed the game from disc. I thought maybe downloading it from Steam might fix it, so I did that, too. No different. I don't know if the disc version of the game may have left artifacts behind or something.

Much obliged.

--angry

Upvote 0
Go get driver 162.18, released 26/7/2007 for your Nvidia card.
I'm running 163.44 beta, with no problems.
Uninstall the old driver before updating.

You should have an AV running, I like Avast, its free and runs quietly in the background.
Also you should turn on the Windows Firewall.

There is a free program named CrapCleaner, go get it.

Run the Sweep Tool to clean out a lot of Crap/cookies and other unwanted items. You will loose some password cookies but they can be protected in the Cookies dialog box the next time you log in here for example..

If RO does not run after driver update and Sweep Tool, uninstall RO (again) and anything that is left over in the Common RO folder.
Then run the CrapCleaner Issues Tool.
This will get rid of any left over program bits and pieces in the registry.

The Issues Tool is the last resort but has been useful in the past...

Good luck !

Hey maybe todays patch will make every thing work :rolleyes: !

Upvote 0
You Are The Man!!!!

You Are The Man!!!!

Since downloading the update yesterday I've been having the same runtime error as angrygamer and have been following this thread ... I tried everything including reinstalling the game and even getting free trials of registry fix software ... NOTHING WORKED ... However, the instructions in the link you posted above did.

Zetsumei's LINK WORKS DO IT AND YOU CAN PLAY!!!!!! THIS GUY IS THE MAN!!!!!!

MANY MANY THANKS!!!!

----Lowman

Upvote 0
C++ run time error after Aug.29th update

C++ run time error after Aug.29th update

Since getting the Aug.29th update, getting visual C++ runtime error.:confused:
All other steam games working perfectly.

My computer specs are:
P4 1.80GHz, 512 MB RAM
XP Pro sp2 (5.1, build 2600)
DirectX 9.0c
Radeon 9250 (driver 6.1.4.0010.6614)

Anyone else having this problem??:mad::eek::confused:

Attachments

• error copy.jpg
    error copy.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
the so called fix i posted only works on dx8 cards. For other problems just do what fifty said ;).

Different options that cause the bugs.

Corrupted game data
Corrupted drivers/directx (make sure your directx and drivers are updated)
Some program is ****ing up the game
The game is starting to load up with a setting your card doesnt support

All dx8 cards get the gpf fault at the moment and what i posted fixes the error for them. if that doesnt work for you , you'll have a regular gpf error (those are actually quite rare and are often fixed by checking your game data/reinstallingthe game/upgrading direct x/ upgrading videocard drivers.

Upvote 0