• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Using the Unreal 3 engine?

Nah. If Crysis has the same "feel" as Farcry (and I really think it will) then I wouldn't want RO on it. I'd keep an eye out for UE4 though if I were you. Epic's been working on it since shortly after the unveiling of UE3 and if you think UE3 and CryEngine2 look good, I'm willing to bet UE4's going to blow your socks off.

Same engine != same gameplay/same "feel". Take Bioshock and compare it to MoH:A. They feel completely different. Or maybe I'm imagining things? :(

Upvote 0
Same engine != same gameplay/same "feel". Take Bioshock and compare it to MoH:A. They feel completely different. Or maybe I'm imagining things? :(
Different gameplay yes, but not a different feel. When I say feel, it's about the way the avatar moves, the mouse movement, whether there's mouse acceleration or smoothing and the smoothness of all movement in general. It's hard to really explain it properly, but with enough gaming experience you just start to notice.

For example, the first Unreal engine wasn't crash hot, it felt weird, but the Unreal 2/2.5 engine feels fantastic. All iD's engines have had a fairly nice feel to them but to me, they still don't feel as good as the modern Unreal engines. HL and Source feel terrible (even with the mouse parameters added it feels all wrong and the movement is just not natural) and Crytek also feels strange. Lithtech used to be a hideous engine, but the version they used for FEAR really improved on it and while not perfect, it was much nicer to play on.

Upvote 0