• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reduce stuttering tweak

UK-SUBS

Mar 14, 2006
www.b-v-a.co.uk
For those having problems with stuttering ingame even after the initial map load here is an effective tweak that may help.It has worked well for me in many games.It was effective in HL2 and just as effective now in RO.

Its AGP cards ONLY.

This tweak involves adjusting the PCI latency of your grafix card.

Ati and Nvidia generally have latency's of 246/255,in comparison most other devices average 32 or less.Hence gfx cards hog the system bus.When your soundcard etc tries to access the system bus it is held up.Thus stuttering occurs in frames and /or sound.

This tweak has improved sound and reduced or eliminated stuttering for many people,myself included.

I currently have my 9800xt latency reduced to 128,it stopped Kessel stuttering.
Beware this is just a tweak..if you dont know what your doing or dont trust yourself with PC's ..dont bother.

And yeh..its AGP ONLY,not PCI express.

Read the relevant thread and download Here

This tweak is for guys that get stuttering ingame,sort of like the map never fully loads and sticky,stuttery play.If you suffer from stuttering and have already tried upping your cachemegs,defragging etc this may help.

It will smooth out gameplay and improve sound qaulity,not really improve FPS.

Manufacturers set higher latency to ensure there cards get maximum pci bandwidth to sqeeze every last drop of performance to post on their boxes as stats etc.But in doing so the card hogs the bus.Sound is generally synched to framerate,but when the souncard tries to access the bus it gets delayed..that intial wait can cause a momentery pause..a stutter.By lowering the latency of the gfx card it gives equel opportunity to other devices.

Don't mess with other devices that have 0 latency or 32 or less,you are looking to specifically lower your gfx card only.

If your card reads as 246(nvidia) or 255 ATI try setting's of 64 or 128 and judge for yourself.More modern comps may not need this tweak due to better overall design of the conponents.

I have no idea if your gfx card is a AGP type.Read the forum thread at the link i posted for more details.

Upvote 0
you can change the latency in your bios setup. remember its only good if you are using a pci express slot not agp or pci its the pci express cards that benifit from this as they use more than the 32 allocated. if you do not have a high end graphics card that works off pci express ignore the tweak...it will save you more hassle

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I was searching on the forums for a way to fix this stuttering problem and I came across this. I installed the utility but my gfx card (Geforce 7900GS) isn't coming up in the list of hardware/devices I see a bunch of USB controllers, my wireless adaptor, and some other random stuff though. What do I do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you have a driver for it? If not that would explain your stuttering, because you would be playing on your on-board card. If you have one, re-install it or get another one (either get the latest one from the nvidia.com site, or google for a recommended one for your card. The latest is not always the best. You could search for "z-tweaked" drivers. They are optimised nvidia drivers by a guy who seems to know what he is doing). Uninstall your old driver with drivercleaner or something similar. Don't just install the new one!

Upvote 0