• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

STALKER Mega-Thread; Clear Skies are Coming!

That's a controller, they can do some neat mindtricks but are rather weak. That section scartled the crap out of me too, took me a long time before I dared to enter the next dungeon area =).

As for the guns-issue, Joe and Jane Sixpack couldn't care less about that. They just want to play a cool game and shoot some crap and be happy.

Upvote 0
If you bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with the expectation of getting realistic gameplay, you need to check your head.

Ever played with the realistic gun mod? It vastly improves the game. Look a few pages back.

Please appreciate games for what they do right. In this case, STALKER's unique atmosphere, level design and freedom. Don't knock down on the game for the wrong reasons (ie wrong gun models). STALKER isn't your average FPS, just so you know.

You need to read what I posted again before telling me to check my head. :mad:

Check your reading comprehension in other words.

What I posted was that they could have gotten the graphics for the weapons correct with even less work but they chose to make them backwards mirror images from the original which actually gave them more work to create.

Firearm function works fine and is believable except for the exagerated wear-out time. Hell you can drop a real AK off a 2 story building and fire 5000 rounds through it and it will still function without jaming so they went WAY over the top with that. Again though, they did not need to do that to the guns and it adds absolutely nothing to your percieved atomosphere. All it does is make it cheezy.

If your going to be critical of my posting then at least have the courtesy of actually reading and comprehending what I posted.

Upvote 0
That's a controller, they can do some neat mindtricks but are rather weak. That section scartled the crap out of me too, took me a long time before I dared to enter the next dungeon area =).

As for the guns-issue, Joe and Jane Sixpack couldn't care less about that. They just want to play a cool game and shoot some crap and be happy.

That is exactly my point. They could have made STALKER more realistic and graphically correct and the braindead xbox types would not have been the wiser.

Those of us that appreciate weapons correctness (like most RO players here) would have praised them for that and they ultimately would have sold more games to us.:cool:

Upvote 0
Double post.
I agree that stalker is a game not a simulator thats pretty obvious.

Gameplay >>>>> gfx

That is besides the point.

If they did not want to be realistic they would not have used real weapons as their models. They could have simply made up some generic weapons to use and used that.

But they didn't. They purposly chose to use real weapons as models for a reason. Why? Because they wanted to portray a real post-cold-war Russia with an alternate reality that could be believable. This is where correctness comes into the game and why some of us are puzzled by the developers reason to make these real world firarms backwards on screen and as fragil as if they were made out of cardboard.

BTW, where is the double post? I don't see any.

Upvote 0
I think they used real guns because your type wouldn't have even looked at the game otherwise, and it makes it a lot easier for them.

No one realistically expected 100% realism from stalker.

I don't really think its a important issue there are a lot more things wrong with stalker.

I honestly think that you don't quite understand what I posted earlier. :confused:

I take issue with your comment that they could not get the weapons graphics 100% correct.

Why? Because they IN FACT DID get them correct. And they looked awsome. But they chose to mirror image them in such a cheezy way as to make them incorrect in-game for some unknown and completely stupid reason. That is the point I was trying to make.

Upvote 0
Holy crap. This game rocks. I just bought it today, and installed Gorbut's sneaker mod and the darker night mod, as well as one that makes the flashlight yellow tinted and longer ranged, but slightly weaker for added spooky effect. I've been playing for a few hours, and I just left the opening camp at nighttime with only my weak yellow flashlight to see with, and I was ambushed on the road by this big pack of mutated boars and those creepy-*** four-legged mutants with human eyes and faces or something. It took me totally by surprise, it was terrifying. :D

Upvote 0
If the A.I. is as bad as I hear people say, I'd rather start playing with the sneakermod that makes it better. Anyways I'm having loads of fun as is, so this works for me. :)

Keep the weather mod at all times but take a note about the sneaker- AI's senses are unrealistcly accute in vannila but on Grobut's they tend to lose you more often than they should.
Im playing with these mods and Im having a good time, but I did finish the game once without them. Youll need to try either way to decide what you like best- no otpion is without faults.

Upvote 0
I'm usually not the one to jump into threats and down-talk other peoples favourite games, but I just don't get what you guys see in stalker that makes it goty in ANY aspect.

Is it just me who thinks that stalker does a very bad job at telling the story? Hello, it's not 1995 anymore! I want to actually *hear* the people talking, not read through hundreds of pages of text-messages to follow the story. That really sucks.

Second, you can see the half-bakedness of the game at any corner: The whole rpg idea is great and all, but what it boils down to in stalker is the weapons durability and the inventory. Deus Ex did that whole rpg part better even in 1998. Speaking of durability: Where can you freaking repair stuff? What's the point of having just found a super-special Abakan with grenade launcher if it is already in a horrible state and won't last until the next 2 quests. I stopped doing side-quests, because i have to walk through the entire world to complete them which just takes, why can't you see a quests target on your map BEFORE you accept it?

Then the combat: People complain about Bioshock's combat but really Stalkers combat sucks imo. It feels strangely random: sometimes i kill a whole group of stalkers with 2 magazines next time i almost ran out of ammo after the second guy. I know, headshots, but headshots seem to be the only really effective way of killing someone, which i find lame.

I don't even start counting the, sometimes fatal, bugs the game has.

What's left is very nice looking levels and tons of guns. The atmosphere is good too, but that never makes it singleplayer goty. I mean it's *good*, but that's about it.

Upvote 0
I'm usually not the one to jump into threats and down-talk other peoples favourite games, but I just don't get what you guys see in stalker that makes it goty in ANY aspect.
Look at the other titles that came out this year. Bioshock is the only other competitor and it will win, even though I don't think it's as good. STALKER is a very original game, with a very interesting environment, with a pretty good story to boot.
Is it just me who thinks that stalker does a very bad job at telling the story? Hello, it's not 1995 anymore! I want to actually *hear* the people talking, not read through hundreds of pages of text-messages to follow the story. That really sucks.
If you don't want to read, that doesn't make the game bad, that just means it's not for you.

Go play a game that narrates the entire story to you. You're probably the same type of player who never read any books in Daggerfall, Morrowind, or Oblivion just because you didn't want to read. Hate to say it, but there was a lot of reading in Deus Ex, too. And in a lot of games before that. Reading all the little things in a game throw you deeper into that ever-elusive suspension of disbelief that is mostly absent in games nowadays. It's all in the details.
Second, you can see the half-bakedness of the game at any corner: The whole rpg idea is great and all, but what it boils down to in stalker is the weapons durability and the inventory. Deus Ex did that whole rpg part better even in 1998. Speaking of durability: Where can you freaking repair stuff? What's the point of having just found a super-special Abakan with grenade launcher if it is already in a horrible state and won't last until the next 2 quests. I stopped doing side-quests, because i have to walk through the entire world to complete them which just takes, why can't you see a quests target on your map BEFORE you accept it?
Well, you might have missed the entire stats portion of the game. Next time you open your inventory, look at the multiple stat bars and how armor and artifacts effect your abilities.

And if you actually got into the game you'd realize at the BAR there's a repairman, and other people throughout the game who repair items. You could also just get a mod that makes weapons and armor not degrade, thus eliminating that aspect all together. Also, side-quests are decent and entertaining. I don't mind revisiting older parts of the game world. In fact, I enjoy it. As you get better armor you can go back to the beginning areas and delve into those places you couldn't get into right when you started out.
Then the combat: People complain about Bioshock's combat but really Stalkers combat sucks imo. It feels strangely random: sometimes i kill a whole group of stalkers with 2 magazines next time i almost ran out of ammo after the second guy. I know, headshots, but headshots seem to be the only really effective way of killing someone, which i find lame.
Combat is random, but since it's an RPG that's what you get. I find it annoying in a lot of RPGs that I click on a character to attack, and it takes 15 minutes for the battle to end. It's all stat crunching. At least in FPS-RPG hybrids, I can interact while in combat, and make a difference. But I've just went and gotten a mod that makes weapon damages a bit more realistic, and the game is much better. So if you have a problem with certain aspects of the game, go get a mod for it. There are tons out there, especially in the combat department.
I don't even start counting the, sometimes fatal, bugs the game has.

What's left is very nice looking levels and tons of guns. The atmosphere is good too, but that never makes it singleplayer goty. I mean it's *good*, but that's about it.
Atmosphere is #1 in games for me, followed by gameplay, then graphics. Yes, the game has bugs, but what game doesn't? I'm not even playing Bioshock until they fix the surround sound glitch.

STALKER is just a game that you have to get into to enjoy. If you don't like it, that's fine. But it's a very enthralling gameworld that really involves you with the brooding atmosphere, artificial intelligence (most of the time), and everything else. If you can put aside that you don't like to read all the info in the game, have to backtrack to do quests, and repair weapons and armor, I think you'd like it.

Upvote 0
The non-repairable guns thing is a non-issue. I mean there are a ton of weapons in the game and its easy to get new ones. They don't degrade THAT fast and in the context of the setting, repairable guns would be unrealistic. The only gun in limited supply, the vintar bc, only needs one or two shots to take down the heaviest enemies, so wear really isn't an issue.

Bioshock is a joke and shouldn't be mentioned in the same post as Stalker, but you did, so I will.

Bioshock suffers from a poor combat system, being a linear corridor shooter, and a pretentious storyline that provides zero motivation for going forward. Bioshock is set in a fake unbelievable underwater city that totally lacks any power of immersion.

Stalker on the other hand has an incredibly detailed believable soul crushing setting laid on top of near tactical shooter gameplay. Not to mention that no playthrough is ever really the same.

Stalker is far from a perfect game, but at it's heart is a concept and a setting that carries the imperfections. As a work of art and as a game, Bioshock is not fit to carry the water for Stalker.

Upvote 0