• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Verdun game

Look harder Donster...read the first post in its entirety and you will find that the game will include the British, Canadian, ANZAC and Belgian forces as well. I must agree though, that the Commonwealth and Belgian forces should take precedence over the Americans, due to the fact that those forces were in the war from pretty much day one, and it was the British who invented the tank. I still think the Americans should be included too though, since they lost an incredible number of men in such a short time span.

P.S. The game seems to include several major battles that Canada took part in and heped win, such as the Somme, Ypres, and Vimy Ridge. Vimy Ridge is especially important, as the British tried a few times to take it, loosing many men. When the Canadians were given the chance to take a crack at it, they succeeded in capturing Vimy. Some say that Canada came of age during that battle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I looked at this site and thought WTF?
I'd like to see a WWI shooter done as well as RO, but there's no way the Americans should be in a "Verdun" game. And there's NO WAY the Americans should be in a WWI game with the British and Canadians left out. That's just disgusting.
The American contribution to WWI was puny compared to the British. The US nominally entered the war in 1917 (a full year after Verdun!) but really had no significant number of troops in Europe before 1918.
Yes the Americans didnt enter the war until a year after the main battle of Verdun, but were put on the line there in 1918 supporting the French on their right flank in the Allied Offensives of 1918. St Mihiel is just a few miles southwest of Verdun.

Upvote 0
There's one thing that is an absolute must, especially if this game is going to feature trench warfare as a majority: the lead designer better be Jesus H Christ himself or its all going to collapse. I could give a damn about the weapons or the nations that are going to be in the game, I want to know what you're doing to make me actually give this game a second look. There have been plenty of games and mods to try their hand at trench warfare as nothing but a standard FPS affair, and they've all pretty much fell flat on their *** because WWI can't be treated as just another setting. If you want to be noted, make sure that every last detail of the game design is absolutely drenched in WWI. Again, not the setting, but integrated into the very game itself.

The website says that the interesting game types will come after release, just after people who were interested take a look at the game, realize that they've seen everything done better before, and not play it anymore. Trench warfare is definitely not suited for team deathmatch, or even non-wave respawning.

A healthy dose of AI to fill up the trenches wouldn't hurt either, especially if they're implemented in such a way as to help in the battle, but keep out of the player's way so that the players can't just stay back and snipe for the duration.

Upvote 0
Yeah but the same would apply to any scenario.

IMO a good WW2-game should be about riding to the front on whatever transport is available, working closely together as a squad with the leader being the seargent and the MG as the firebase and having close support from tanks and StuGs. Unfortunately RO only really portrays "meatgrinder" battles.

Upvote 0
Look harder Donster...read the first post in its entirety and you will find that the game will include the British, Canadian, ANZAC and Belgian forces as well. I must agree though, that the Commonwealth and Belgian forces should take precedence over the Americans, due to the fact that those forces were in the war from pretty much day one, and it was the British who invented the tank. I still think the Americans should be included too though, since they lost an incredible number of men in such a short time span.

P.S. The game seems to include several major battles that Canada took part in and heped win, such as the Somme, Ypres, and Vimy Ridge. Vimy Ridge is especially important, as the British tried a few times to take it, loosing many men. When the Canadians were given the chance to take a crack at it, they succeeded in capturing Vimy. Some say that Canada came of age during that battle.

Yes, you're correct, the post says there are plans to include British and Commonwealth forces at a later date. I based that comment on the game's website and not on the post.
I still think it's poor that a WWI game includes American and not British forces. It really doesn't say much for the developers or their interest in "realism".
I just hope they don't equip the Canadians with the Ross rifle!;)
I thought Canada "came of age" at Dieppe.

Upvote 0
Yeah but the same would apply to any scenario.

IMO a good WW2-game should be about riding to the front on whatever transport is available, working closely together as a squad with the leader being the seargent and the MG as the firebase and having close support from tanks and StuGs. Unfortunately RO only really portrays "meatgrinder" battles.
I've never, ever seen that kind of coordination in RO. That's because it only happens when people go out of their way to do this. It isn't inherently part of the game design. And another thing, WW2 is asymmetric, it works with FPS gameplay. WWI doesn't because it isn't asymmetric, especially in the trenches. There's a clear need for the game to specifically order how everything is done, not to limit the player, but to give the game that much more original gameplay. Not just another fps with different guns in a different place, that gets old very fast.

Upvote 0