• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Free RO Trial?

In some way those free trial weekends suck though. Just have been kick voted from the TWB server as someone else copied my nick and began to spam the chat :( . He did that with other players too. TW should finally add something to stop the abuse of nicks especially if they continue with those free weekends as they tend to attract idiots aswell as potential new players.

/edit TWB kindly helped me out seems as if ****** once again is on the servers :( . And if there was only the slightest chance that I could've been him I understand their reaction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's good that there are free trials and patches , it helps to keep the game alive which is very important , like said Iviarshall , games like HD2 would have benefited from this , and although it means more TK's or unkind people joining public servers , it also means potentially , more cool guys that might buy the game , will learn it at their pace and strengthen the community , even maybe start modding and/or joining clans after some time

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my humble opinion, the free trials are the best thing possible for the game, and server admins who don't like it just don't understand what's at stake.

Sure it's a little extra work for the admins, but its worth it. We always tell our admins to put on the kid gloves, and to go out of their way to help the newbies - they appreciate it, and they do remember where they were playing when an admin lended a helping hand. ....We were all newbies once!

I still remember the guy who first taught me the AWSD/mouse FPShooter technique, way back when I first tried Quake DM. He coulda just kept schooling me, but took some time to show me the ropes. I frequented that server for quite a while after that.

Upvote 0
It's no big deal, but the choice of TW amazes me a bit.
Guest passes might be far more profitable for them.
A guest pass player is a friend of one of the current players which means far less teamkillers on the servers.
Another negative side-effect of the current mass-invasion: normal players stop playing so new players get a distorted view of this game. Making a decision to buy will be influenced by these sub-par circumstances on the servers (teamkilling, no teamplay etc etc etc). A disadvantage which does not exist with the guest-pass system.

I say: guest passes all the way :)

Monk.

Either guest passes or free week, the good players who can see past the "noobishness" will stay with the game and get better. We all know it's the idiots who ruin things though, and idiots always without exception will show up when things are free and they have no investment in it. It only takes a couple...or one idiot to ruin a server for a whole night. With the guest passes those idiots were showing up and ruining gameplay for weeks and WEEKS on end. With a free week, that ends at the end of trial week. The players who liiked the game will buy it and the servers can get back to the usual teamwork and maturity.

Upvote 0
I'm getting the sense from this thread that if I want to find out what the game truly is like, I should hang around after the free weekend.

I had a guest pass back in early June, and I like the game, but I wasn't convinced to buy it. I was looking for something more satisfying than DoD:S, and while RO is different, it wasn't that much more satisfying. Maybe I didn't play enough to learn the maps, maybe the severs were too flooded with newbs like me. I do remember a lack of map variety in the server list.

Well, I'll play over the free weekend, and maybe I'll buy it this time. If for no other reason than so Ramm can feed his family.

Upvote 0
I do remember a lack of map variety in the server list.
Much has changed since then. There are new maps from Tripwire and quite a number of quality custom maps, some of which were polished by tripwire mappers and put into the game. Buttom line is that there are much more maps now than they were before and especially when coming from DoD:S it is hard to complain about a lack of different maps in RO.:)

As you might have noticed the last time you played, RO has a bit of a learning curve to climb. Its not nearly as steep as some people make it seem, but it is definately there because it plays so different from "regular" shooters. If you have only played a short amount of time you might have died a lot and achieved little. But trust the full serverlist: The game is extremely rewarding.

Another thing that makes RO more enjoyable than some other games is the community. True, there are a bunch of teamkilling idiots here and there but in the grande picture the RO community is a relatively nice one. Not as paradiseesque as it used to be in the mod but still rather nice.

Upvote 0
No, it's an opinion. Not only is it an opinion, it's an opinion that specifically states "quite possibly". Not "undisputably proven" or any other such statement. I'm also referring to games that you pay for, not free mods like ricochet. At the end of the day, TWI is a business and this is how they pay their bills. Pandering exclusively to the increasingly outrageous demands of existing customers at the expense of new avenues of income would be business suicide.

Bugfixes and engine tweaks are one thing (especially if said engine is still powering the World's number one competitive shooter), but actual new content is entirely another. The complaints after the last patch along the lines of "it's just community content, nothing new, Tripwire's just being lazy and relying on the work of others" honestly sicken me. Have they forgotten about the last year's worth of free stuff? I swear, if things get any worse around here, we're going to need a doctor to surgically extract half the community's heads from their own arses, to put it bluntly.
Free content is all well and good and appreciated by people such as myself.

Personally, I'd like to see a change in gameplay mechanics and I'm hoping that's what the beta is doing. RO:OST plays almost exactly the same as the day I downloaded it. The is negligible difference from one update to the next.

Take this update for example, besides the graphical differences (which I had to turn off) and a new map, I don't notice anything different about the way the game plays (except of course for the ingame abuse and tks due to the trial).

RO's lifecycle, I'd say, has hit it's peak, not overly too many more people are going to buy this game. I'd figure it's time to start moving forward and I'm hoping that's what the beta is trying to achieve.

Can't believe we don't have the supersonic cracks yet. I do remember reading a thread proving that WWII era rifle's projectiles broke the barrier.

Upvote 0
I don't think we'll see any big changes to the gameplay. To do that would be to annoy a great many people who've stuck with the game for a long time. You can't sell a game as one thing and then change it into something else once you have their money. No, if anything's going to change then it'll be in the next game rather than this one and personally, I like it that way. I don't want the RO we have to change now. Not after playing it for the number of years I have.

That said, if they do change anything for the next game, I sincerely hope that they say so in advance. I'm fairly sure that there will be a lot of people crying foul if they try to pull a DoD: Source on us (for those unfamiliar with that, the Source version was supposed to be a graphical upgrade and we all preordered under that belief, but what we got was something most DoD fans would never have paid for had we known what they were up to).

Upvote 0