• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Free RO Trial?

Considering that TWI quite possibly hold the record for the most additional post-release content from any game company ever (excepting MMO's, where you pay for the content every month anyway)

That's a lie. There truely is a lot of new content for Red Orchestra and I'm really happy with it. But it's by far not the most additional content ever. I'm really happy that TWI keeps their game alive but it's unfair to say that, because there are a lot of other developers that work as hard as TWI does. VALVe, for example, still has updates for the old HL1-Engine every now and then. And HL was released 9 years ago!
And what about Ricochet, the whole game you get for free if you own HL. Or HL2 Lost Coast. Or Halflife2 Deathmatch, which was additional content, too. And the awesome tool Steam, where you can download your Games whenever you want and Valve provides the Servers for you. And and and.
Btw. there are also a lot of Updates for Guildwars. And you don't have to pay a monthly fee.

I know, I love RO, too, actually it's one of my favorite games, but it's not like TWI is the one and only elite-pro-game-developer in the world... Sometimes it looks like some of the Red Orchestra Players tend to be a little arrogant... It's just wrong to complain about Newbs and Arcade-style-gamers but expect to be respected by other Gamers... RO is not the only game in the world and it is just a matter of taste, which ones you prefer. TWI created a great game, but there are also A LOT of other great games!

No offence to you or anyone else, chicken, I do really like the RO Community and there are really many nice people in RO, but i just don't like the "We are the elite of the gamers-attitude".

I know, this was extremely OT so I'll add something to the Topic:
In my opinion the Free Weeks are really great, because it makes RO known and even if players don't buy it, RO und TWI are noticed and I think it's good for the sales of the next game (RO2 or whatever, I will buy it anyway ^^) if TWI is well known.
Btw. I really dont begrudge having a warm meal and go to nice restaurants and having biiig PCs and even bigger TVs to the Tripwire guys&families ;-) so, do whatever you think will increase the sales. :)

Upvote 0
Admins ready your ban hammers!:D

ban20hammer1gq4.jpg

Upvote 0
That's a lie.
No, it's an opinion. Not only is it an opinion, it's an opinion that specifically states "quite possibly". Not "undisputably proven" or any other such statement. I'm also referring to games that you pay for, not free mods like ricochet. At the end of the day, TWI is a business and this is how they pay their bills. Pandering exclusively to the increasingly outrageous demands of existing customers at the expense of new avenues of income would be business suicide.

Bugfixes and engine tweaks are one thing (especially if said engine is still powering the World's number one competitive shooter), but actual new content is entirely another. The complaints after the last patch along the lines of "it's just community content, nothing new, Tripwire's just being lazy and relying on the work of others" honestly sicken me. Have they forgotten about the last year's worth of free stuff? I swear, if things get any worse around here, we're going to need a doctor to surgically extract half the community's heads from their own arses, to put it bluntly.

Upvote 0
No, it's an opinion. Not only is it an opinion, it's an opinion that specifically states "quite possibly". Not "undisputably proven" or any other such statement. I'm also referring to games that you pay for, not free mods like ricochet. At the end of the day, TWI is a business and this is how they pay their bills. Pandering exclusively to the increasingly outrageous demands of existing customers at the expense of new avenues of income would be business suicide.

Bugfixes and engine tweaks are one thing (especially if said engine is still powering the World's number one competitive shooter), but actual new content is entirely another. The complaints after the last patch along the lines of "it's just community content, nothing new, Tripwire's just being lazy and relying on the work of others" honestly sicken me. Have they forgotten about the last year's worth of free stuff? I swear, if things get any worse around here, we're going to need a doctor to surgically extract half the community's heads from their own arses, to put it bluntly.

QFT!

Upvote 0
Why dose valve do this with every ROOST patch? all they do is make us deal with huge ammounts of Noobs, and Tking punk 12 year olds for weeks on end till they get sick of the game and leave.

I for one applaud them for doing a free time trial instead of the guest pass sytem they did before. The free weekend gives people the same time to check out the game and we'll get a lot of new players from it. But once the free time is over, the idiots disappear.
This is MUCH better than the guest passes that floated around, sought after by every idiot out there for weeks and weeks on end....giving ****** and the like a big revival.
Woot for free weekend!

Wow...you know who is so well known they've added his name to the auto censor LOLOL

Upvote 0
It's no big deal, but the choice of TW amazes me a bit.
Guest passes might be far more profitable for them.
A guest pass player is a friend of one of the current players which means far less teamkillers on the servers.
Another negative side-effect of the current mass-invasion: normal players stop playing so new players get a distorted view of this game. Making a decision to buy will be influenced by these sub-par circumstances on the servers (teamkilling, no teamplay etc etc etc). A disadvantage which does not exist with the guest-pass system.

I say: guest passes all the way :)

Monk.

Upvote 0