• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dining With Hitler In Asia: Hitler-themed Bars & Restaurants

At first I thought it would be another set of lame pictures showing Indians wearing swastika t-shirts or swastika bilboards, but actually using the connection between the Nazis and the swastika as a business gimmick is pretty suprising. I guess its supposed to be some comedic take on how westerners find Indian use of the swastika to be shocking.

Upvote 0
Back on the subject - I suppose what Bluehawk say is true. The connotations that Westerners make do not apply.

I remember in the late 80's it was very fashionable for some kids to wear Rising Sun T-shirts and even Kamikaze headbands. They prolly just saw it as "Japan is cool" - imagine the reaction of any veterans who had survived Japanese PoW camps to that attitude. Or, even worse, imagine wearing that stuff on a visit to China - particularly Nanjing.

But, as I mentioned once before, I was on a train from Nanjing to Shanghai once and saw a young guy wearing a swastika armband. I reckon he wanted to look a bit punky and stylish, is all. I honestly believe he would not have a clear idea what a Gypsy or Jew was, let alone want to see them exterminated. It's a shame I did not know enough Mandarin to tell him what a dick he looked.

You also get the same thing with people wearing Shapki or Ushanki (thick fur hats) with red stars on them in fashionable parts of London during the winter. Two points about that:

1 - why would anyone want to look like a "Militsianer" (cop)? One of the most despised, venal, corrupt and put-upon people in Russian society.

2 - Why would you need a shapka when the temperature never even approaches -5, let alone the -15 or less where such a hat is practical?

The answer seems to be that generally fashion and design have no conscience and rarely have much knowledge or sense.

Upvote 0
One word.....

Awesome

this.

I have a swastika t-shirt. (my father is a Buddhist and bought it for me) I get nothing but **** when i wear in. And I live in the most multicultural cities in the world. :/

That is also ignorance.

and to all those you say the meaning of the swastika has changed.

5000 years of history and religious history and importance disagree with you.
Not to mention my shirt is the other direction, and has a freaking yin yang behind it I still got dirty looks from tourist when I wore it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back on the subject - I suppose what Bluehawk say is true. The connotations that Westerners make do not apply.

I remember in the late 80's it was very fashionable for some kids to wear Rising Sun T-shirts and even Kamikaze headbands. They prolly just saw it as "Japan is cool" - imagine the reaction of any veterans who had survived Japanese PoW camps to that attitude. Or, even worse, imagine wearing that stuff on a visit to China - particularly Nanjing.

But, as I mentioned once before, I was on a train from Nanjing to Shanghai once and saw a young guy wearing a swastika armband. I reckon he wanted to look a bit punky and stylish, is all. I honestly believe he would not have a clear idea what a Gypsy or Jew was, let alone want to see them exterminated. It's a shame I did not know enough Mandarin to tell him what a dick he looked.

You also get the same thing with people wearing Shapki or Ushanki (thick fur hats) with red stars on them in fashionable parts of London during the winter. Two points about that:

1 - why would anyone want to look like a "Militsianer" (cop)? One of the most despised, venal, corrupt and put-upon people in Russian society.

2 - Why would you need a shapka when the temperature never even approaches -5, let alone the -15 or less where such a hat is practical?

The answer seems to be that generally fashion and design have no conscience and rarely have much knowledge or sense.

But they look so cool! :(

Upvote 0
this.

I have a swastika t-shirt. (my father is a Buddhist and bought it for me) I get nothing but **** when i wear in. And I live in the most multicultural cities in the world. :/

That is also ignorance.

and to all those you say the meaning of the swastika has changed.

5000 years of history and religious history and importance disagree with you.
Not to mention my shirt is the other direction, and has a freaking yin yang behind it I still got dirty looks from tourist when I wore it.

Wouldn't that 5000 years of history mean that it was a Pagan Symbol first then later a Roman symbol for good luck and prosperity and not a symbol of facism or nazi's? :confused:

And Nestor, why would he need know what a Jew looks like? and why would him wearing it mean that he has any shared ideas with the nazi party? If he had on a black beret that had any resemblance to the black panther one, would you have been so disdainful? or anything else resembling items or symbols worn or used by any other of the nations or people that committed genocide? When you snug up in your blanket, do you feel sorry for American Indians because they were given blankets with small pocks and 20 million of them died (Thats 14 million more than Hitler)?

What makes the Holocaust (which the word itself doesnt actually mean genocide of the jews) any worse than any other mass genocides or wars? I feel more sorry for the Russians, they lost 22 million people in WW2 and had another 10 million Ukranians starved by Stalin, AFTER being backstabbed in a truce. But hey, I guess if you don't throw it out there every chance you get, people just dont care as much.

I for one found the bars to be funny and kinda neat. Its not like they're secret nazi meeting spots, or theyre supporters. Theyre making a mockery of the whole idea and turning into something that actually sounds kinda fun and original.

But hey, that might just be me. I find the Swastika to be a pretty cool symbol (that and my favorite color is red), and I'm a little irked that the Nazi's had to go and ruin it for everybody else. Does that make me a Nazi? Only if your an ignorant *****.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the Italian Fascists and Nazis took a lot of imagery from Ancient Rome, especially since one of their goals was to sort of rebuild a modern Rome.

The NSDAP standards for example nearly exactly resemble Legion standards the Roman armies used.

On_the_March.jpg
Hitler%20nazi%20rally.gif

The straight right hand salute was originally used to show allegiance to the emperor and empire and in fact is used in the west still. ("Put your left hand on the bible and repeat after me.."). They just replaced "Ave Caesar" with "Viva il Duce" and "Heil Hitler".

Oath-of-Horatii.R.jpg
180px-Hitler_walking_out_of_Brown_House_after_1930_elections.jpg

The "Aryan Race" came from the Iran, Pakistan and India region so I'm sure the swastika was both a racial and imperial symbol in Hitler's eyes.

Here it is, facing left, in a Roman mosaic.

180px-Romswastika.jpg

Image:Romswastika.jpg

Upvote 0