• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suggestion: Workaround to "implent" Shouldering

Reznor

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006
Darmstadt, Germany
We had enough shouldering and free-aim discussions, so I don't want to wind this all up again, but I'd like to see a system similar to the way weapon resting works:

When you go into iron-sights and don't move, your weapon is "shouldered" and an icon similar to the rested-symbol should appear. Shouldering shouldn't affect the sway, but maybe reduce recoil by "one level": Shooting with your weapon shouldered lets you feel just the recoil as if you were crouched and using iron-sights as usual.
The effect should vanish as soon as the player moves in any way (including leaning, but not turning/aiming, maybe posture change too, to avoid pop-up-killers) and is lessened with every shot - so a long burst will not stay shouldered and therefor controlled for long, 4-5 at most would be a good limit.

This would promote firing in bursts and would allow the smgs and semiautomatics a better usage while standing - and is probably more realistic too.

Any thoughts?

The effect should vanish as soon as the player moves in any way (including leaning, but not turning/aiming, maybe posture change too, to avoid pop-up-killers)[...]
If I were to stand still in a position and wait for the shouldering icon position to appear I could just as well bring up the iron sights.
The whole point in "shouldering" is that you can move with it and it takes less time to bring up the iron sights. Its some kind of mixture between hip-mode and iron sight mode.
You can't aim properly from the hip, but you can't move fast enough with the sights up to storm a room properly. That's why we need "shouldering" so we can shoot more accurate than from the hip and move faster than in iron-sight mode.
Your suggested feature doesn't sound to me like it would feel that way so I would vote No.

Upvote 0
If I were to stand still in a position and wait for the shouldering icon position to appear I could just as well bring up the iron sights.
The whole point in "shouldering" is that you can move with it and it takes less time to bring up the iron sights. Its some kind of mixture between hip-mode and iron sight mode.
You can't aim properly from the hip, but you can't move fast enough with the sights up to storm a room properly. That's why we need "shouldering" so we can shoot more accurate than from the hip and move faster than in iron-sight mode.
Your suggested feature doesn't sound to me like it would feel that way so I would vote No.

You got me wrong, I was talking about this "shouldering" to happen while in Iron Sights. Its not really a true shouldering-feature, I agree at that point, but a little adjustment how recoil is handled to allow smgs and alike to become useful again while standing without making them mini-mgs.
Maybe the effect lessens (dimmed "shouldering"-icon?) when you move after having shouldered the gun.

So basically you always "shoulder" you gun after a short time in iron sights, except for snap-shots, i. e. when you bring your rifle to iron sights and shoot right away - I do that pretty often.

Now if you could still shoot while bringing your rifle up to iron sights (maybe like a more centered hip-shooting), that would be a perfect addition to this system...

Upvote 0