• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Team Fortress 2 - Waiting/Trailer thread

The Orange Box (and the Black Box?) are scheduled for release in October, with TF2 in them.

Psycho, I know you hate the source netcode, but TF2 is designed to be silly and fun. In fact, it can be argued that aiming is not required, and high ping / anti-lag should have little effect, because in the case of many weapons firing near the enemy is just as good as at the enemy.

While it will probably be less explosive spam than TF/TFC (Less grenades, no Incendiary launcher *cry*, it should not be a problem.

In fact, I'd argue the following classes, with a half-decent connection, are fully playable
1) Demo Guy
2) Medic
3) HWGuy
4) Pyro
5) Spy
6) Engineer.

The engineer could be played *somewhat effectively* with uber-bad connections, and because of how the spy seems to work, the same is true.

Only the Soldier and the Sniper really seem to require much precision (arguable about the soldier, but they say getting direct rocket hits is more important than previous games) where as the scout could suffer to lag and anti-lag measures as they may make him easier to hit, and getting hit at all is a death sentence.

Overall, the only thing i find worrying is there only being 1 CTF map in the original release. While I find the other maps interesting (I think they are going for 1 map of every play style) I just think TF was always best with thoughtful well designed CTF maps (don't know if anybody played much, but 2fort, well, and badlands stick out as great CTF maps.)

Upvote 0
Psycho, I know you hate the source netcode, but TF2 is designed to be silly and fun. In fact, it can be argued that aiming is not required, and high ping / anti-lag should have little effect, because in the case of many weapons firing near the enemy is just as good as at the enemy.
Yeah, I know. It's for that reason that I'm actually going to buy this anyway. If it were anything else I wouldn't bother, but for a game like this it really shouldn't matter too much. By the same reasoning, I happily play PVKII and have an absolute blast (just like the original) because it's high speed and utterly ridiculous anyway. You can't help but laugh the whole time and since dying's a matter of luck anyway, it really doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
I'm really looking forward to this and Fortress Forever, both look to be very different but fun games. I like the cartoony approach, I always felt Team Fortress Classic was a bit "dark" compared to the actual gameplay.

Oh and, does anyone know how much TF2 will cost? I'm not interested in that Orange Box deal..

Upvote 0
Looks like fun up to now and class-based gameplay is always interesting if every class is needed and different. I hope that my pc can handle it well and that the characters can't absord as much damage as they can in TFC. I don't want it to be RO like one-shot-one-kill but TFC was way over the top.
We'll see.
I doubt it will be like RO:OST.
In one trailer, we see the demolition guy step in-front of a sentry auto-gun, and take a few hits before throwing some explosives and stepping away.
We also have the Medic, with his healing ray gun.
Ive read that the sniper can 1-shot kill, but as the sniper, you hold down a key to "charge" the rifle while aiming, and this determines the amount of damage he does.

Upvote 0
I watched the first of them. Looks like good nonsensical fun. Apart from the balancing which I can't comment on just from looking at one of those videos, there is one big thing that bothers me: The weapon is so steady.
I really hope there is an option for brutally over-the-top head and weapon bobbing. Like in UT2004. Maybe even stronger. It would fit so nicely.

Upvote 0
I'm really looking forward to this and Fortress Forever, both look to be very different but fun games. I like the cartoony approach, I always felt Team Fortress Classic was a bit "dark" compared to the actual gameplay.

Oh and, does anyone know how much TF2 will cost? I'm not interested in that Orange Box deal..

Sorry to tell you, but TF2 will not be released seperately. You have to buy the whole Orange Box :mad:.

Upvote 0