• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bioshock

The french certainly know this famous blog :
http://www.nofrag.com/

and here the image they have posted :
00311b.jpg

:rolleyes:

I've got pity for the developpers because their work is really good !

Upvote 0
Steam have updated something to do with installing/dis-installing !

Even if they do get that working right, its still a raw deal for everyone who buys it, what happens if your HDD dies? you can't uninstall a game from a dead HDD, and then you can wave goodbuy to an activation, or the abillity to have it installed on two systems at a time.

Its just useless and unfair twords the paying customers, this wont stop pirates, it'll just stop legit users from playing what they payed for.

Upvote 0
Do you guys really think that all the rants in the world will make them change this?

I hope I'm wrong, but as far as I see it, some publishers signed Bioshock's death sentence (on the PC) before it even came out.

Well..its an Xbox game, PsychoChicken was more right than he thought. It wasn't about the PC game having consolification, its just a gdamn console game that found a way to fund itself from PC users!

Upvote 0
Well I guess what could change their attitude are angry letters to gaming mags, as these seem to be more important to the publishers than the actual gamers.

Alternatively not buying it and sending a mail to both the publisher and the developer could help changing a mindset that is just too present.
As long as that model makes money they'll probably stick to it.

They have a complelty wrong mindset, they are punishing the people who they should award, while those who should be punished get the best reward. A wrong world.

Upvote 0
You're victim of a misconception here.
Stories are not per se linear. Following page after page does not make it linear, what makes it linear is if the reader feels that the actor does not have a choice. While in most books it seems that the actor could do whatever he wants, and in fact pretty often one can be surprised by the story.

So please forget what you just wrote and read a good book!

Every book, no matter how good it is, is linear. It's not like the reader has any kind of influence on the story. But that doesn't mean it's not a good book.

Same thing goes for games - it may be linear, but that doesn't mean it can't tell an amazing story. Some games choose not to be linear, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for example. That game has like six different endings. Which is really cool too.

Linear or not, neither is necessarily "better". Both can be amazing.

Anyway I believe the devs are currently talking to SecuRom.... if they get rid of SecuRom or any other kind of mallware in the next shipment or patch, I will purchase it. If not, they've lost another customer. One of the many. Shame really, because the devs deserve to get supported for their good work on the game.:(

Upvote 0
You guys are aware that it's not two installations ever. Right? You get two installation keys or whatever, you get them back by reinstalling. As long as you reinstall the game before you reinstall it, you're fine.

Does it suck? Yes. Is it as bad as StarForce or other things I've seen? No.

Well thats nice to know.

I do not have the game, so I will say no more !

But it SuXZZZZZzzzzssss...

I will make no cries, for equality but how many games have you installed reinstalled just to make them work ?

RO being the exception of coarse!(?).

If the game works out of the box "ok"

Me go buy PS3...

Upvote 0
I love how none of the reviews I've read have even mentioned it, or the crappy BF2142 ads software a while ago, something which is a matter of concern now. Surely it's the sort of thing you'd mention when it's not even advertised on the packaging.

Oh wait, I forgot, if you told people what they were buying they might not.

I'm aware it's 2 installations on different hardware, but that's absurd. I have a PC, and I'd like to play it, my brother has a PC too, and he'd like to play it. Now I'm probably the kind of person who installs a game, finishes it, forgets about it until a format.

What if someone less pc savvy than myself were to have something go wrong? What if a hard drive crashed? What if there's a hardware failure that causes the install to corrupt? You're pretty screwed then.

What if the install or uninstall process is faulty, or something goes wrong during setup? I've seen plenty of forum threads to that effect.

What if I don't have an internet connection? It's a single player game and the fact that it requires online activation in the first place is just stupid.

This whole thing is so absurd.

Upvote 0
Hmmm...
I was going to buy Bioshock, but after reading this "limited activation" crap I think I'll pass.
Once I pay for software I don't see why I should be restricted in its use. I have 2 computers at home. Last year one had its hard drive tank so I had to replace it, for example.
That's at least one less customer thanks to their "security". My brother laughs at me because I buy software and he pirates it. Maybe I'll get Bioshock from him.

Upvote 0
Every book, no matter how good it is, is linear. It's not like the reader has any kind of influence on the story. But that doesn't mean it's not a good book.

Same thing goes for games - it may be linear, but that doesn't mean it can't tell an amazing story. Some games choose not to be linear, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for example. That game has like six different endings. Which is really cool too.

Linear or not, neither is necessarily "better". Both can be amazing.

Anyway I believe the devs are currently talking to SecuRom.... if they get rid of SecuRom or any other kind of mallware in the next shipment or patch, I will purchase it. If not, they've lost another customer. One of the many. Shame really, because the devs deserve to get supported for their good work on the game.:(

Well then you define linear different when I do.
Think about it that way, the reader in a book (normally) does not have the influence to change something, but at least in the imagination I get the feeling that the character does have that opportunity.
If the character "decides" to visit first the barracks to interview the soldier that was witness of a murder or if he gets information on the autopsy is "up to the" character. If the character drinks too much and has a hangover and nearly crashes his car next day is "up to the" character.
Sometimes books feel like real life and for me real life is not linear.

In most games that feeling of "freedom" (for me the opposite of linear) is not there. It's like knowing that you are riding on a train, you hardly have choices on the direction.

Upvote 0
2K/Securerom address the installer thing... sort of.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48621

With a swathe of announcements sure to send shockwaves reverberating throughout the BioShock internet community, publisher 2K Games has replaced BioShock's initial limit of two simultaneous PC installations with what community manager Elizabeth Tobey calls a "5 by 5 plan." Under the new terms, users will be able to install the game on up to five computers, with the ability to reinstall the game on each computer up to five times. 2K will release a "revoke app" that should address issues resulting from the original limitations.
Just get the Steam version and avoid this stupid crap.

Upvote 0
You guys are aware that it's not two installations ever. Right? You get two installation keys or whatever, you get them back by uninstalling. As long as you uninstall the game before you reinstall it, you're fine.

Does it suck? Yes. Is it as bad as StarForce or other things I've seen? No.
Actually Dillinger there are reports all over the place that uninstalling does not give you a new activation back even though it should. So until they fix the issue it is effectively 'two installs then you're boned' at present.

The Steam version still has limits and other issues related to Securom.

Last night it was trying to tell me I need an internet connection to pre-load the game while I am connected to the internet, took about 5 tries to get it started again (I had stopped at 80%) and before you ask I have the right ports open...

Upvote 0

It's a step in the right direction, but it's not enough. I'll get the steam version when it works, and when I can log into steam anytime (as long as steam is alive)and get it installed, just like any other steam game...

Upvote 0