• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medal Of Honor: Airborne

Updated first post with this link http://planetmedalofhonor.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=209

Contains an indepth multiplayer preview. It also talks about the dedicated server and future patches.

Seems that on release we can expect a minimum 16 player dedicated server (probably more by the sounds of it) and already patch content is in the works. Lets hope EA doesn't screw over the hardworking moha team.

Also a nice weapon preview http://www.ea.com/moh/airborne/weapons.jsp

Has sound files for a lot of the guns plus details of how the upgrades effect the weapons (allied only) plus a nice bunch of screenies/wallpapers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First opinion:

A solid game with no major bugs or flaws (a good start for an ea game). Enjoyable

Looks: Everything looks as it should with the next gen of games. Bloom is a tad overdone in the occasional place but thats the "norm" for games these days. Textures of a nice high resolution (unlike bioshock) which was a welcome change. A lack of AA in this aswell as bioshock makes me wonder if ue3 will be able to support it?!

Looks score: 8/10

Movement: Basic movement is solid if not a little un-nerving at first (having head bob back after years of games without it). Jumping, crouching and sprinting transitions are fine but the blur doing fast movements and sprint is perhaps overdone.

The way ironsights works is a bit foreign for an RO player. Its click and hold to bring up ironsight. You can then lean whilst in ironsight by using wasd, you can peak over an object, lower yourself and lean left and right. Odd at first but becomes more natural when you get used to it.

Movement: 7/10 (for the moment as it feels awkward atm)

Weapons: The guns feel solid and accurate enough for the ranges in MOH:A. Ironsights is needed for longer range shots. The Kar rifles are perhaps weaker than i would like but accurate enough. Grenades can be cooked and have a smallish blast radius but are good enough for clearing rooms and encamped enemies. A little annoying is the single bullet reloading of the Kar instead of stripper clips but its not a biggy. Don't expect the weapons to deal out RO levels of damage you will have to hit the guy a few times with an smg to drop him but it doesn't take extortionate amounts like cod and the guys don't get back up!!! (god i hate that in cod).

Weapons score: 8/10

General Game Mechanics:
Health on this first mission is available in enough locations so that you don't die but the regen "quarters" of your health can mean you will be hard pushed to die unless your a looney (on medium difficulty). But being the first mission against the least skilled opponents i didn't expect to get hammered.

The parachute drop does as promised and you can choose to land anywhere. The greenzones are a must really as landing on the top of the main obj got me killed in 10 seconds
tongue.gif

Though there are a few routes to each objective its not exactly "fight anywhere". Once on the ground its much harder to get back up to give you alternative routes.

Die and you respawn in the air but already completed objectives stay that way so you don't loose all your progress.

The map was quite dark making enemy recognition difficult but not impossible and you get a red cross when you hit an enemy.

Mechanics score: 8/10 (did everything they said it would)

AI: The enemy did look for cover and even retreated when i got above or behind them. I did have a few moments of the AI standing right next to me without them attacking but im not sure if this is due to the "low skill" on this first mission or a bug. They will take cover behind walls in windows and mount mgs with ease and there are plenty of gerries to take shots at. All in all solid AI

AI score: 8.5/10 it is actually intelligent and not scripted so gets a better score than other games would

Atmosphere and immersion:
You know its war! Lots of explosions, shouting, tracer, firing and general carnage which can be a bit over wheleming at first. However not so much that you get lost and confused. There is steady stream of enemies and squad mates so you know your heading in the right path (even without the compass). Sounds and music are of good quality and add to the immersion.

Atmosphere score: 9/10

Conclusion: Overall the demo left me with a positive feel and i look forward to the full release and how the MP turns out. I would recommend trying the demo but go into it with an open mind (it isn't RO and doesn't pretend to be, it is arcadey but most importantly fun!)

Final score 81/100 for the demo

Upvote 0
Agreeing with Spraduke.
Game runs great on my pc, but im not sure. Is this made with Unreal Engine 3.0? If so, im happy :)
I like some things like, some knobs on uniforms that shine etc.
Ragdolls are a bit weird at times. They seem pretty solid, up to the moment where they get catapulted across a street, from a pistolshot lol! Kinda reminds me of Source games, where people get catapulted off ledges if you shoot them while they sprint. Ragdolls get pulled down so fast in Source, but on a ledge the ground isnt close so instead ragdolls get catapulted lol.

And the safezones are for pussies! Real men jump onto the headquarters roof, right between the italians!:cool:

Upvote 0
Well i just played through the demo for a second time and just tooootttally awesomeness!

I decided to land on a rooftop this time, came in behind a guardhouse and bummed them in the ***. I then took the roof at's first this time. Last time there was lots of axis up there as i did it last but this time there was a fraction of the number as they hadnt had time to assemble!!

This time i was on expert and i died a lot. Mgs are fearsome. Consequently i was less gun hoe and more sneaky with my garand popping of squishy head shots!.

Towards the end i was shooting at an enemy just across from a low wall but had to reload. The bastard hopped over the wall and started bashing me in the face so i stop reloading bashed him back 2 times and floored him. That put a giant grin on my face!

2nd time through i noticed a lot more back routes etc and the enemy though in the same region used different cover points so you still had to be on your toes and couldn't prefire ala cod (when you respawn) .

All in all i raise my rating by another 5 or so points just for thouse moments and if you found it easy first time put it up to brutal and you will die, run low on ammo and not get any easy kills.

FANTASTIC

PS: runs great max on my 8800gts 640mb and yes it is unreal engine 3 check your demo folder ;)

Upvote 0
Would anyone know how to stop making ragdolls dissapear, by any chance?
I just hate the way bodies disappear the moment you turn around :mad:
Would be a nice way to check the full power of my pc as well, lol.
I remember doing it for Brothers in Arms, and i heard things would be pretty much the same for every Unreal engine powered game. Would help the atmosphere tremendously.

It's addictive though, i mastered the controls by now, and its a blast popping italians with the garand or k98.
I'm loving the graphics as well. It doesnt look overly spectaculour but there's so many nice things to see, all the little touches of the water, helmet shines, lighting that chances everything, it's great. Cant wait for RO2 on this engine, lol :)

One great thing i saw happening was pretty cool.
There was an italian crouching behind a wall, and an allied soldier didnt see so he hopped over the wall, only to land on the italian who continued to smack the american with his rifle lol.
The american turned around and bashed the italian in the face, who's ragdoll at that point bashed into the edge of the wall, and hung there for a second with his helmet before slowly falling over ^^

ragdollsks1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0