• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Free look for infantry

Blablo said:
Without having played the game yet or trying to sound like a whiner, I'd like to suggest that a "free-look" feature be added for infantry, where they could simply pivot their heads without swinging their weapons around and looking like some 80's breakdancer when prone. This way they're moving less of their bodies while scanning their sectors and not giving away their positions. Does this sound like a good idea? Also, is it already present in the game?

good idea, it would be easier to create formations

Upvote 0
Actually, this would happen in real life, but I don't get the pragmatic function of this. This would just end up being a gimmick.
The required extra click to work the bolt was also a "gimmick," but it's the small things like that, that helped my interest in this game. On the actual subject, I support the free look idea, and if it were possible to implement it, I would also support a fluid look control system like in Rainbow Six 3 for the PC, except perhaps make it a "held" instead of a "toggled" feature. I think it would add a little bit to the realism to make leaning shots a bit more complicated.

Edit: Oh, yeah. I think that players should be able to move at a light run or full sprint with the weapon to their shoulders (ironsights), with the inherent and appropriate penalties to accuracy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, this would happen in real life, but I don't get the pragmatic function of this. This would just end up being a gimmick. You could just turn yourself now the way it is. If someone saw your gun moving, that's because your gun is already sticking out from somewhere. Im missing something, could someone explain ?

There's bugs that cause your weapon to show through walls and such, so it would make a difference. The same applies to legs as well.

Upvote 0
It works pretty decent in OFP or ArmA, even without track IR (though that's probably better).

BUT: As it stands now, it requires an engine that doesn't seperate between first and third person models (e.g. OFP, ArmA, Trespasser...). RO however does that. So I don't see this happening without seriously altering the engine. And that's not worth it imo.

Upvote 0
What about a peripheral bar or indicator that would detect movement out from your center position to the prescribed boundary of detecting movement in one's peripheral.

That indicator would give you the feel that someone is moving along side you - and may be limited to certain distances of course and take in to account objects that would obscure.

Upvote 0
It works pretty decent in OFP or ArmA, even without track IR (though that's probably better).

BUT: As it stands now, it requires an engine that doesn't seperate between first and third person models (e.g. OFP, ArmA, Trespasser...). RO however does that. So I don't see this happening without seriously altering the engine. And that's not worth it imo.
Yes, this is a killer for realism games.

If there's someway to have one single model set with it's animation sets for both third- and first-person view in Unreal Engine 3.0 and better yet, Unreal Engine 2.5...

There would be no need for a fake-*** HUD anymore! :eek:
And in third-person you'd actually see magazines being put in rifles, bayonets placed on rifles!

Peek/Free look would be self-explaining, and less memory would be used...

Unfortunately, most game engines are the typical standard every-day FPS engine.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0