• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Sight suggestions [Merged].

Infiltration for UT99 was the first to do that, and the first to use free-aim. And I still think that there are many things in INF that are better than most games today that RO could use...
D-Day for Quake (1997) was the first to do that, not Infiltration which was released in 1999.

In any case, Call of Duty 2 has misalignment implemented for rapid mouselook movement.
As can be seen in this vid:
http://ofp.umbr.net/Other/bestoftactical/video/cod2_weapons_and_view_movements.wmv

In any case, the ironsights of Infiltration have some of the best features combined.
Like ironsighted freeaim, collision on (ironsighted) weapons and to me that most important: having usable ironsights on a scoped rifle

Upvote 0
I think jogging with sights isn't unrealistic at all, the SAS dosen't walk when they storm a room, they do a jog as most soldiers in CQC do as they want to take the enemy by susprise with fast movement. Sprinting is with sights is another story though.
Yes but they aren't aiming down their sights, they're in a tactical shouldered position, in which case your fire will hit where you're looking, which is immensely useful for CQC.

Free aim while aiming down the sights is not realistic and personally I'd hate to see it in RO (hell I hated seeing it added to ArmA).

Upvote 0
Yes but they aren't aiming down their sights, they're in a tactical shouldered position, in which case your fire will hit where you're looking, which is immensely useful for CQC.

Free aim while aiming down the sights is not realistic and personally I'd hate to see it in RO (hell I hated seeing it added to ArmA).
Look at this vid, you can clearly see this team doing a sprint at 0:43.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFDDhNGUP94

I think that jogging with sights should only be with semi automatics and fully automatics but not bolt actions. It is true that soldiers back then and today move differently, but there had to have been a time where a squad in World War II had to shoot while on the move.

Upvote 0
Look at this vid, you can clearly see this team doing a sprint at 0:43.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFDDhNGUP94

I think that jogging with sights should only be with semi automatics and fully automatics but not bolt actions. It is true that soldiers back then and today move differently, but there had to have been a time where a squad in World War II had to shoot while on the move.
Read what I said again, they're sprinting with their rifle in a tactical shouldered position, ie. weapon shoudlered with a cheek weld and both eyes open :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I think it is a dumb idea. How many people do you really think sprinted with their rifle to their shoulder and looked down the sights?
In Inf, you can't sprint while in IS, but you can move faster than a slow walk. IRL soldiers keep their weapon at the shoulder most of the time, not at the hip. I don't think RO's method of freezing players while in IS, as well as making them unable to fire while transitioning from hip to IS, is very realistic.

IMO, hip mode should just be a shouldered, low-ready firing position which is essentially identical to IS mode, except for the absence of the actual sites, and the ability to run a bit faster. Hip modes are kind of arcade and old hat at this point.

Upvote 0
In Inf, you can't sprint while in IS, but you can move faster than a slow walk. IRL soldiers keep their weapon at the shoulder most of the time, not at the hip. I don't think RO's method of freezing players while in IS, as well as making them unable to fire while transitioning from hip to IS, is very realistic.

IMO, hip mode should just be a shouldered, low-ready firing position which is essentially identical to IS mode, except for the absence of the actual sites, and the ability to run a bit faster. Hip modes are kind of arcade and old hat at this point.
It's actually unrealistic that you can't fire your weapon while transitioning from hip to IS. I do agree with you that an unsighted shouldered position would be a bit more practical then hip mode. You guys should check out this article on wikipedia regarding unsighted shooting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_shooting

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO I would modifiy the current system to combine weapon handling and general mobility into a more unified mass (if I could code for **** that is).

Assuming certain stances for different speeds is sort of used currently, but simply expanding upon this current system would probably be enough.
For example, currently in a sprint the player is unable to use their weapon - and this is shown visually by bringing the weapon across the body.

Having a fluid system that assumes mobility to override firing stability, but puts us automatically in a shouldered state when appropriate might aid weapon handling and make it feel more "natural".

Others have said things very similar to this in the past so I'm not trying to claim any of this is perfect or even original - but I personally feel it would be an improvement - and I shall illustrate my idea as best I can without making an example animation.

As pointed out by many people we really have four states that we would like the weapon to be in to display the range of tactical motion.

Sighted (or Ironsights): Using the sights of the weapon to place accurate shooting.

Shouldered: For remaining situationally aware while retaining the ability to point shoot (close distance targets particularly CQC) and some degree of mobility.

Hipping (or hip-shooting): Mobility over fire, but able to place reactionary or suppressive fire whilst retreating or assualting an objective; most usful for automatic weapons (machine carbines and sub-machineguns mostly).

In-operable: The current full out sprint make aiming or even pointing the weapon impossible due to the full-body nature of maintaining this speed. In certain other situations (climbing for example) weapons may be in hand but not usable due to the current motion.

The proposal is to take the current "hipping" and make two sub-versions that are fluiding swithced between based on stablity and motion - the high/shouldered stance at lower speeds puts the weapon much more centrally which in turn makes it easier to point on target. The lower hipping stance should place the weapon lower and less centred than it is currently, thus making shots on the run much more diffiuclt to judge.

I'm not posting this with the expectation that it will be done. Infact I honestly expect very little more to be done to this particular title; it is just my opinion from the variety of games i've played that have all tried to come up with something to represent a plethoria of tactical choices. Its not perfect, but I think it would work well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0