• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need reflective damage in Spawn

Divinehammer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2006
Sunny, Obamalot
I know this has been done to death but maybe if we talk about it enough something will get done. There has got to be some way to curb all the BS that goes on in the spawns. I know the server guys are going to say an admined server is what you need. This does work some of the time but I know that if I was playing and an admin I would not want to spend all of my time getting the riff raff out of the server.
There has got to be a way to reflect damage on the person doing that crap either it makes them drop their weapon in spawn or kills them and counts towards their friendly kill count. Something has to be done to keep people from wanting to try and Tk or shoot up the spawn. If you make it frustrating to even try it will lose its sense of fun for the idiots that do it. Some will say that they will just wait for you outside of the spawn and that may well be the case but at least it gives you the chance to get more than 5 feet.
I sincerely hope that someone is developing a mutator for this or that TWI is working towards some sort of solution.

EDIT: Maybe to stretch it out here we could do something like if your score is already negative then it is reflective. So a Tker would still have to take out a few of the enemy just so he could TK. This would also reinforce the sink or swim for noobs.

Last edited:
....<snip>There has got to be a way to reflect damage on the person doing that crap either it makes them drop their weapon in spawn or kills them and counts towards their friendly kill count. Something has to be done to keep people from wanting to try and Tk or shoot up the spawn. ........<snip>I sincerely hope that someone is developing a mutator for this or that TWI is working towards some sort of solution.

I agree and respectfully suggest that the reflective damage and punitive kill count be for any TKing thorughout the entire game not just the spawns.

Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0
I agree and respectfully suggest that the reflective damage and punitive kill count be for any TKing thorughout the entire game not just the spawns.

Lookout here comes the realism guy with his panties in a bunch. While sometimes I agree with this Mike, I think that accidental TKing just happens.
Maybe to stretch it out there we could do something like if your score is already negative then it is reflective. So a Tker would still have to take out a few of the enemy just so he could TK. This would also reinforce the sink or swim for noobs.

Upvote 0
Lookout here comes the realism guy with his panties in a bunch. While sometimes I agree with this Mike, I think that accidental TKing just happens.

I'll have you know I wear bunchproof drawers!! :) Reflective has always worked in the past elsewhere. Yes, I do appreciate realism but only to the point where it doesn't adversely effect Balance and Playability.
Maybe to stretch it out there we could do something like if your score is already negative then it is reflective. So a Tker would still have to take out a few of the enemy just so he could TK. This would also reinforce the sink or swim for noobs.
I believe in the "kiss principle"... keep it simple.... reflective damage and three kills you are kicked and your score becomes zero. Of course, all this should be Admin optional. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only feasable way IMHO is to make a player skip a wave of reinforcements per TK. you can even make it inceremental, meaing: you skip one for the first TK, two for the second, three for the third, making it 6 respawn-waves to wait if you kill three teammembers with a single nade.

Another option would be a server viariable, whih causes the TKer to be cast into an own "team", thus making him fair game for all players to hunt. additionally, that team wouldn't have reinforcements, so once he's dead, he remains so. Prolly even better if he couldn't switch teams, but only leave the server. And the server should remember his ID, so he can't join in anymore, at least as long as the curretn map was going.

But I oppose any way of reflective damage, allthough I damit that if it is limited to the spawnprotection zone, it's not as likely to be abused as it would be if it was applied generally.

Upvote 0
So when some asshole blocks a spawn exit, and the only way to get through is to kill him..if there was reflective damage, what would that leave?

It takes two people to completely block the Russians in on Kauk, and one gives a serious disadvantage. The only way to remove them is to TK them.

Any measures that make it so your punshed even more than you already are for people doing such immature behavior is unfair, and encourages them.

Right now, the only systems that could possibly work are an improvement of kickvoting, and more admins.

Upvote 0
So when some asshole blocks a spawn exit, and the only way to get through is to kill him..if there was reflective damage, what would that leave?

It takes two people to completely block the Russians in on Kauk, and one gives a serious disadvantage. The only way to remove them is to TK them.

Any measures that make it so your punshed even more than you already are for people doing such immature behavior is unfair, and encourages them.

Right now, the only systems that could possibly work are an improvement of kickvoting, and more admins.

Ahh yes I had forgotten about this blocked doorway thing. Well something needs to be done to preempt this stupidness nobody kickvotes myself included and admins cannot be everywhere all the time. There needs to be a focus on preventing the crime before it even starts if it happens on the battlefield then it happens and admins and kickvotes could kick in there but when you have 4 jacktards trying to kill each other in the spawn it is really ridiculous and takes away from the rest of the teams ability to play and win.

Upvote 0
Elysium said:
TW should impliment a new feature where if you constantly tk, then you respawn with a Hello Kitty skin so everyone knows you're tk're.

That's possibly the funniest thing I have read on the forums.

I disagree with reflective damage as per [VFD]HH, however if their score is already in the negatives, then I think it should be possible (like Murphy said).

Of course one of the simplest ways to deal with it is just to make kick-voting more effective.

Upvote 0
I don't really like the idea of reflective damage. It eats up the realism. Instead, for spawn teamkilling I think a good punishment would be +2 minutes respawn time for the next spawn. Accidental teamkilling happens - accidental spawn teamkilling not so much - and I think the reduction in score is a decent punishment for that.

Upvote 0
That's possibly the funniest thing I have read on the forums.

I disagree with reflective damage as per [VFD]HH, however if their score is already in the negatives, then I think it should be possible (like Murphy said).

Of course one of the simplest ways to deal with it is just to make kick-voting more effective.

Sure!! So nimrods can retaliate by kick voting and generally disrupting the server. Sorry, that won't work.

Good Admins and reflective damage works and works well. If fool TK'ers are busy TK'ing and find their health is going downhill they'll stop. It will also stop the vigilantes who think they are helping when in fact, all they're doing is exacerbating an already bad situation.

Upvote 0

However, its easy to get someone to TK you. Throw yourself in front a vehicle, walk in front of them when they are shooting, or jump on their grenades.

Sooo... Punitive TKs can be abused.

Upvote 0
However, its easy to get someone to TK you. Throw yourself in front a vehicle, walk in front of them when they are shooting, or jump on their grenades.

Sooo... Punitive TKs can be abused.

Yes but wouldnt you say that it would be much harder for a TK'er to seek you out get killed and hope your score is negative to make you die. I am pretty sure this will be more work than a TK'er would want to put into this. and then find you again and again and hope you didnt kill anyone in the mean time so he can get it to reflect on you. Sounds like a stretch to me.

But really who cares, give us some options to work with and try something other than nothing.

Kick voting also will never work half the people playing are the ADD types that you cant get to lean around a corner or stop running you think you're going to convince them to go exit the game basically and put a vote in highly unlikely.

Upvote 0
TKer's who want to play the game are usually easy to deal with.
I'm talking about the guy who shoots you for the sniper rifle or tank. You kill them back and they tend to get the message.

Got shot for a StuG the other night, shot out of the gunners seat with a pistol. So as soon as I respawn, I chased after and tossed a 'nade at it. I don't know why, but 'nading your own tanks works. The guy left and joined the Allied side.

I learnt about this 'nade trick from other TKer would use it to get tanks. His problem was we were started protecting each other's tank from him, and it soon lost it's appeal.

But we wouldn't have had to do this with an actively admined server.

It's the ******s who Tk for the "fun" of it that are the real problem. And they generally have a large negative score.

I like having actively admined servers, but I wouldn't mind a change to the vote kicking system. Basically, having a -ve score lowers the kick threshold. Say requires only 3 votes to kick you. Or each -ve point counts as a vote against you. So this would protect the average player, but work against the TKer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0