• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Re suggestion in light of new tank map

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
In light of the new view distances and the upcoming new 4km tank map, I'd like to resuggest slowing down the speed of sound in game to the actual speed of sound or at least slower than tank shells.

Right now you can hear the incoming tank shells (sounds cool, I know). But ultimately it acts as a warning. Realistically, you shouldn't hear it until it either hits or passes you.

If the server load is too high to do this with all projectiles (including rifle cracks), then I'd suggest it apply to tank shells as a priority due to the distances involved.

Yes, that would be nice.

Other thing that needs attention IMO is accuracy of T-34/76 main gun. It is always said that it had bad sights and was therefore much more innaccurate than long barreled German guns, and I think it would be nice if this feature would be in the game at least at longer ranges. I don't think it would even ruin balance, after all T-34 is much faster and much better armored (almost impossible to destroy if angled) than Pz IV and that means few fairly skilled tankers can totally beat the crap out of Germans in a large map like this.

Upvote 0
Well as the maps get bigger, it does get more relavent.

I think he's right about the tank shell speed. I remember timing the shells, and it was damn close to 50% of expected speed. There's no way there could be enough air resistence to slow the shells down that much over the 700 meters I was measuring.

The problem is the penetration, as was earlier mentioned. With full-speed projectiles the shells would often pass completely through the tank, w/o having actually affected the target.

*conjecture follows*

Now, that said, I very strongly suspect that what's going on is that position checks happen for every item in a set time frame, say, every 25th of a second. Now, a Tiger's gun has a muzzle velocity of 3070 feet per second. In a 25th of a second, the shell will travel 122.8 feet. Say the range from the firing unit to the target is 250 feet. The first time the shell position is checked it's at range 0. Second time (1/25 sec later), it's at 122.8 feet. Third time (2/25 sec) it's at 245.6 feet, and by the time it's checked again it's already past the target, essentially having gone straight through the target without having collided.

Now, the narrowest target in the game is a human. Say a human target's hitbox is 2 feet thick. In order to have the position check ensure that the shell is tested every 2 feet of its trip for intersection with a hit box, you'd have to test it 1,035 times per second. When you've got a lot of shells in the air, and machine gun bullets, and everything else, this adds up to a REALLY heavy load. By reducing the speed of the shell - and therefore reducing the distance traveled per frame - it means that you don't have to test for collision so often, and therefore you have far lower demands on the processor.

But again, this is all conjecture, so I don't know if I'm even on the right track.

Upvote 0