• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation KV-1B and KV-2

That has actually happened already then?

Someone has coded, rigged and animated them and done the overheads and sounds?

Wow!:eek:

Nestor....you little troll. ;)

They are nearly complete models. CO is finishing interiors. Skins are done. Code will be no problem and Teufel has a scheme worked out. TT33 is doing the rigging/animating for us as soon as he complete the StuG-B. Movies and promos will follow as soon as we have them ready to roll out.

"Elnya" will feature the StuG-B and KV-1 as soon as they are ready and at that point, the community will have access. So, no. They are not 100% complete but well on their way and you know for a fact we will get them implemented asap and open for the community. Our AT-gun package is nearly ready for public release as well, including the 251/22.

Upvote 0
Damn Captain Obvious you're a machine! Stunning work you've done, on many vehicles! Can't wait to see them implemented! Also, I was reading in 'Panzer Aces' that a successful way to deal with the KV was to shoot holes in is barrel - that was what some commander did, in his Panzer III - then a shell exploded in the barrel of the KV and effectively took it out of action.

Upvote 0
troll.jpg

Moi? :p

I am really fired up by seeing the amount of work CO can produce. It is just a pity that the coding, animating and particularly sound engineering efforts in RO are generally unable to keep up. We have seen this before, IIRC... a modeller churning out a truck load of models then becoming despondent 'cos they do not get to be in-game as quickly as the first step would suggest.

Upvote 0
I agree, Nestor. CO has got, in my opinion, the best skills in the community for model making and texture work. It always seems that the glamor jobs, like making models are what most guys do. The nuts and bolts of animations/rigging are far less plentiful talent pools. Then talk about code work. Really, all are a premium, and to find real talent is tough. That's one reason I reached out to CO to work with him. At the time Lex was in the midst of moving and dealing with his and his wife's health issues (June), since, all three have gone worse and we've lost him for an unknown time. Lucky for us that TT33 was interested in helping out so he stepped in to do the animations.

I know that if we can get the models, skins, and animations done that we can get the vehicles into the game. We have proven that much. And it is a bit amusing to see models with skins portrayed as "100% complete" when that is about 25% of the job at best. Far more models get made, as you said, then ever make it into a game. Hopefully we can get a process worked out with CO and TT33 and have these things in and working sooner than later. The process always takes twice as long as you expect. Once the model hits Teufel's hands, we will be a day or so away from having it in-game but depending on many things, no one can say when it would be ready for release.

Upvote 0
These tanks will get into the game, and rather soon too. Like Slyk pointed out these LOD0 meshes and skins are just a tiny part of the work. I spend more time working on techinical meshes which a player never even really sees ingame, like LODs and Collision models. I don't post them because they aren't really exciting to look at but still require the same amount of work.

All of the models and skins for the StuG III Ausf. B are complete (LODs, interiors, etc.), and animations are making fine progress. The LODs for the KVs are essentially finished and the other exterior techinical meshes will be done soon too. Since we are using the same chasis for both tanks making the interiors will take half the time it would if these were two seperate models. These vehicles will get into the game, they won't fade away like some of the other projects started before.

Upvote 0
Realy nice looking tanks! I wonder if it's even possible to code that the KV-2 can't turn it's turret when he's on bumpy ground. Otherwise I don't see any chance for the germans to stop it :D . But he actually that's a great idea for a map. Give the german side some Panzergrenadier kits -e.g. smoke nade, satch, MP40- and the russians one of these monsters.

Upvote 0
Slope considerations? Absolutely possible. Worthwhile? No way. Too much work, too many computations and too many other projects. Like anything, mappers have to be smart implementing models that could seriously impact play balance. We're doing this model because we can, because we have the talent for it, and because I have a map for one of them. The KV1 should be a much bigger impact on the community and see a lot more action. I plan to refit 'Berezina' as well once the KV1 is ready.

Upvote 0
Any chance of a T26, those things are sexy.

Edit: The super fasts tanks I were thinking of were one of the ones in the BT series. It seems irrelevant to have another BT atm since we have the BT7. I don't know how fast the BT7 is (never actually got to get in one in RO yet) but I hope they are super fast like they should be (they are faster than T34s, w00t!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0