• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Most Atmospheric Scene in a game?

New one.
Watching my Warrior/Necromancer in the new GuildWars menu, wich was updated for the Eye of the North expansion :) I'm gonna love the barbarianstyle of the new race added.
Currently this is my new wallpaper, because it has so much style :cool:
gw059et1.jpg

And here she is from the front:
gw057qn5.jpg

And side, i like the beacon thingy, wich you can see all the way in the distance, a whole line of fiery beacons. Kinda reminds me of the LotR beacons, though :)
gw058zc9.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thief 2 had one of the best missions ever, remember the rooftop mission, life of the party anyone?!
That was one of my favourite levels for any game, ever. I didn't think it was overly "atmospheric" though. Just plain awesome. I'm actually hoping to get that same feeling of awesomeness from Assassin's Creed and it's big cities with lots of rooftoppy goodness.

pity the game was ruined by the xbox...ala dues ex 2.
Amen.

I've heard so many good things about Riddick, but never tried it myself. I might have to get hold of it. I hear they're remaking it with a fancier engine too...

Upvote 0
That's the game I'm talking about, but they've changed the focus. Initially it was actually going to be nothing more than a remake of the original game. I read an interview with the developers, along with pages and pages of outraged comments directly following it. The guy was basically saying that due to poor timing and marketing their sales on the first one were lower than they were expecting and they wanted to have another go. That way they could get more exposure to the original storyline and gamestyle with next-gen graphics before working on a completely new game. I'd find you a link, but due to more recent developments, all I can get when I search are the more recent announcements regarding the game.

Upvote 0
It'd be nice, but it's never going to happen. Looking Glass Studios went under a few years back (sadly) and unless some skilled fans decide to try getting some sort of emulation going, the original Thief titles won't be seeing the light of day again. That said, there's all these emulators for various other games, so it's not inconceivable I guess.

Upvote 0
I wish they'd re-release the Thief series on one DVD. I know they already did that once, but the modern video cards can't run Thief I & II. They don't even have to update the graphics, just as long as they add widescreen support. Or they could make it look better, but still give us the option to play in craptastic 16 bit. :)

Eh Eh! No need to be said, the Thief community is making 1+2 and other maps using the Doom3 engine which should be perfect for thief. Also its quite well into development so it looks promising.. THE DARK MOD
newbitmapimagepa9.jpg

And the trailer...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgFat5CxC6Q

Anyway check out the Official Looking Glass forums....still very popular big into there games plus Dues Ex, Bioshock, Stalker and ect http://www.ttlg.com/forums/index.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OFP: I've had some of my best ever gaming moments with this game. I have snuck into enemy bases and planted charges without being seen, fought huge battles, MGed zombie hordes in cities and very quietly walked through a jungle under constant fear of an attacking T-Rex or a raptor armed only with a PPsh41 and a straw hat.

Man, I've raced in every vehicle possible in that game and even been a "Bob-the-Ninja" and executed every inhabitant of a fully inhabited island (Nogova FTW)

All this while listening to music. (My circle of mission makers used songs which matched the theme of the mission so a motorbike race map had Nina Simone singing "Ain't Got No-" and so forth)

Upvote 0
That sounds like some of the best fun to be had that doesnt involve women or explosions.

I wouldn't say that no women or explosions were involved.

There were crowds along the sides of the roads who sometimes got flattened in "freak motorcycle crashes where the driver carries on after hitting the innocent bystanders". And there were several weapons hidden along the track, so if you got ahead and you came across a gun (they were well hidden though, in bushes and sheds) you could set up an ambush for the guy coming up behind you.

Oh and the SCUDS that fired biological nukes were'nt to be missed either.

Upvote 0
I remember there was this time when I was playing Pong on a table set against my best friends girl friend. She had me like 6-4, 6-3, 5-3........Visions of Billy Jean King vs Bobby Riggs swam in my head. Geers from the male onlookers rang in my ears. Fortunately, I managed to shake the gremlins and win the match.....:cool:

If I weren't so senile I'd probably remember the specific scenes in Zork(post text-only) or Myst that captivated my imagination and thought processes.

Floyd ;)

Upvote 0