• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gaming in the good old days

Ah, back in the days me and my mate were still n00bs, and every time we went to the store there would be unknown games to buy, we'd stand in front of the racks for hours to decide what to buy and what not lol :)
Now those days are over, we know pretty much every game, HAVE pretty much every game we would like to have, and the days of excitement of going to the gaming store is long over, waiting for new games to come out but are allways noobified in some way :(
I hardly get excited for any game anymore, unless its from a proven game series like Operation Flashpoint from wich you know that itll be good.
Premature releases occur more and more these days, cause it takes a lot more to make a game now then it was back then, so most of the unproven games are bugridden cause the publisher wants to cash in quick on something they think they have waited long enough on, compared to the old days of gaming... Meh.:(

Upvote 0
Quite a few cool games I remember and enjoyed - gaming before it became a multi-million dollar industry. Many of these games were made by only two or three guys, I imagine.

I don't think the gaming industry is that bad today... sure, there are many sequels used for easy cash but I don't play most of them anyway. The good, original games are still there, like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Keep in mind, when we played those games we were still young little nublets, so we didn't view the "gaming industry" with a critical eye.

Like Makabi I still have a box full with diskettes with games on them, but my PC doesn't have a floppy drive anymore.

You can still "acquire" these games from certain websites, by the way. I'm sure you know what to do. ;)

BTW, here's a free, fan-made Space Quest prequel: http://www.wiw.org/~jess/replicated.html

I've never played the original Space Quests but from what I remember playing this one a couple of years ago, it's pretty good. It's an adventure game in the style of the first Larry and Police Quest (the heyday of adventures). Fun to play around with for a couple of evenings. In Space, No One Can Hear You Clean! :)

edit: I'm sure most of you remember, but home and page up etc allows you to move diagonally. And F3 allows you to repeat your last command. Look around by writing "look [object]"

Last edited:
Upvote 0