• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Has RO reached perfection?

I said medium to high. But I am sure the engine will keep being heavily optimized for lower end till the release of UT3 at least.

And that opinion is based on current UE 3 games (or close to release UE 3 games that have released specs), not on any game TWI is currently working on. Final specs won't be nailed down till much closer till our release.

Upvote 0
I've played RO since god knows when (UT2K3) and I feel its just hit a wall. I always hoped it would go to more realism but lately it seems that its going away from that. People switching from a panzerfuast t otheir rifle and shooting accuratley in less than about 2 seconds is crazy. There are so many of weird little things that have turned me away from RO in the last 6 months or so. Even in the Beta much has not changed.

RO has always had a small community of players and will never be for everyone (or so I hope) but the community seems to be getting smaller by the day. Look at the server list. There are a ton of server but almost no players.

Upvote 0
You know, this game might have a bug here and there, Just small ones, for example, The little guy that pops up in the lower left of your screen, you know, the guy who shows you if you are crouched or prone etc has vanished for some reason, anyway, little things like that aside, When you come home on a Friday night after a days work, you can't beat going to the fridge for a cold one, Logging on to RO and having a right good laugh running around dodging and diving, To me, that's what RO is all about, It's great to get rid of the wife for a few hours and have some fun while enjoying a beer.
Keep up the good work boys.
Hawco.
PS If anyone has a link to the mystery that is known as "Teamspeak" I'd be more than grateful, apparrently I have to log on to this thing next weekend and start using it.

Upvote 0
I've played RO since god knows when (UT2K3) and I feel its just hit a wall. I always hoped it would go to more realism but lately it seems that its going away from that. People switching from a panzerfuast t otheir rifle and shooting accuratley in less than about 2 seconds is crazy. There are so many of weird little things that have turned me away from RO in the last 6 months or so. Even in the Beta much has not changed.

RO has always had a small community of players and will never be for everyone (or so I hope) but the community seems to be getting smaller by the day. Look at the server list. There are a ton of server but almost no players.
Completely agreed. The complaining has dwindled because we've all realized that the easy-to-implement ideas we've been suggesting for YEARS won't be implemented. It has nothing to do with 'perfection'. Dis thred maeks me lul.

Upvote 0
Yup, TWI decided to make gameplay faster and easier (as much as their former RO could be) ,instead of encouraging cautious&slow gameplay ,so old community understood that and gave up suggesting things...
Since we are not a big market for companies it is really understandable imo...

Upvote 0
Yup, TWI decided to make gameplay faster and easier (as much as their former RO could be) ,instead of encouraging cautious&slow gameplay ,so old community understood that and gave up suggesting things...
Since we are not a big market for companies it is really understandable imo...

Its still very similar to the mod, but there are a few differences imo:

You couldn't tell how many players were in a cap zone - you had to use your head a bit more - was more immersive than looking at a bar to see if you're about to start capping. But the way it is now is better for teamwork I suppose because you can tell your team how you're doing in the cap and you're more likely to get backup if you know its only 1 more guy needed and you can tell your team that.

Bayonets were more effective. I have a video of me playing as a newbie getting killed by people with 1 stab..no charging required and it had a longer reach I think.

Respawn times were a lot longer - now when you die it doesn't matter because you will respawn nearly instantly - so you can be less cautious now.

Much smaller community - often there was only 1 server to play on so you pretty much knew you would be playing with people that knew what they were doing and weren't going to be ****s. So it was good in some ways but you could only play whatever map the server was on, and you would be stuck with whatever ping the server gave you.

Tank maps ****ed..tanks ****ed..but there weren't enough players to have a split community like there is now so they might have been OK, but no one played em.

Bullets dipped a lot more I think?

More SMG's/semi's than there used to be, especially on 50 player servers, but they are less powerful than they used to be, but still very easy compared to bolts so the game is easier now for the majority of players.

FAR fewer features than there are now - no resting, no leaning etc and much weaker graphics and more bugs..hmm can't think of anything else atm.

Its not a huge change from the mod, but I think there are signs that the devs are trying to widen the possible market for the game, especially with increased smg's and semis and the marketing which has been IMO quite un-truthful lately (talking about the "over 10 new maps" thing).

BUT I really like RO as it is now..not that many bugs compared to before and still retains most of the things that makes it unique. Personally I am getting a little bored but then I have played RO for quite a while now..most games get that way if you play too much..I think the new mods will make me interested in RO again.

Upvote 0
Eh, one persons perfection is another persons needs work. Can't get perfection if made for more than one person.

For me the insta eject out of tanks needs to be done big time. Nothing kills a map for me more than the clown car kamakazi sache guy game. The clown car itself is bad enough, can tilt 70deg but never rolls, but with it chasing tanks and the insta eject of the bomber ug. Nothing screams Counter Strike, DoD, bunny hopping gameyness more than this. One of the few things that will get me to leave a full map I like. Not that there isn't other gameyness (quick weapon switches, ATR uberness, tank damage etc) but nothing is more VISABLE than this as it happens right in front of you. IMO of course :)

Goes for all insta eject btw, out of half tracks, tanks etc. Would like to see the stop of tankers ejecting and escaping a kill, or pistoling the inf outside. Half track trench dumps (drive on trench, eject payload) etc. With animation tanks would have to be more careful or be shot while exiting like the dogs they are. Halftracks might now stop early and exit out the back (like they should) while using it's MG support. No more teleport ejects countered by enemy nade charges. Plus it would look cool :D. I love the rag doll effects you get now, my buddies have commented on how nasty it can look when a bodies rolls down stairs or a roof, I'd like that if you catch someone entering/exiting a tank.

T.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah thats another thing I missed - they made it harder for the Clown Car to turn over if you turned too fast - maybe a little thing but you can see the motivation for changing it. Fast exit/entering of vehicles/changing positions is something that should have been changed ages ago, but they've probably put other stuff as higher priority..and its not that important...more important than putting in a pickup system that doesn't work/wasn't tested properly though I suppose.

Upvote 0