• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AK-47 Terrorising for 60 years.

the AK sure bears a striking resemblence to the StG44. curious, that is.,.,.. :)

Thats an old myth mate, the two designs are nothing alike.

People think they look kinda similar, because of a few traits (gas tube, front and rear sight, magazine shape, pistol grip), but all of thease traits are designs that predates both weapons, and has been used by both Russian and German designers long before either weapon existed, and if you look at thouse parts in real life.. they are actually not similar, theres quite a bit of difference.

And they work nothing like eachother, they are radically different designs that opperate on different principals, you'd think that if Kalashnikov had actually copied the STG, he would have kept something from its design, anything.. but no, they really have very little in comon, and what little there is, is purely cosmetical, and designs that predates both of them.

There is no base in that myth, saying that the AK is an STG clone is no more true than if i where to say.. well that the STG is an SVT-40 clone, because a few parts of the two look kinda similar.. both statements are absolute BS.

Upvote 0
Yeah the STG44 and the AK47 are completely different from each other.

Both are built on the same concept that most combat takes place at 300m or less, so they needed an intermediate cartridge to be more powerful than the standard pistol rounds of a SMG and less range and more controllability in full auto than a full sized rifle cartridge.

Upvote 0
I love my AK47. The simplicity of it and how it works is a testament to how brilliant Mr Kalashnikov is.

I disagree. He put a Simonov Design in a new receiver with a different bolt and a different trigger and bingo, AK-47.

The Wikipedia Article on the AK-47 is full of **** too. I've tried talking to those guys but they don't care and can't carry an argument. Look at the discussion section with the SKS on the page.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I disagree. He put a Simonov Design in a new receiver with a different bolt and a different trigger and bingo, AK-47.

The Wikipedia Article on the AK-47 is full of **** too. I've tried talking to those guys but they don't care and can't carry an argument. Look at the discussion section with the SKS on the page.

The SKS and AK may have some similar exterior and interior parts but to say they are the same rifle is stupid.

Upvote 0
I didn't say they are the same rifle. Re-read my post.

I read your post and you're basically saying that minus a few parts the AK design is just a SKS. I disagree, the SKS is a bit more complicated rifle with quite a few different features. The AK is a simple rifle that only has a few basic features that most don't even come close to the SKS design.

Upvote 0
I read your post and you're basically saying that minus a few parts the AK design is just a SKS. I disagree, the SKS is a bit more complicated rifle with quite a few different features. The AK is a simple rifle that only has a few basic features that most don't even come close to the SKS design.

Point out the specific features beyond what I have mentioned, please.

Upvote 0
Here's a thing you guys ought to keep in mind: Mr Kalashnikov has often said "I dont like when people say i "invented" the AK, its not an invention, i designed a weapon, i didn't invent it".. thats not a direct quote, but thats the gist of it.

Alot of BS claims have been made about the AK, but Misha didn't make them, other people did on his behalf, and he's not happy about it..

Upvote 0
Actually I'd like to know what you think makes the AK is basically a SKS. The only things I can see is using the same cartridge and a similar looking gas tube.

I've already posted what I think makes the AK an upgraded SKS.

I disagree, the SKS is a bit more complicated rifle with quite a few different features. The AK is a simple rifle that only has a few basic features that most don't even come close to the SKS design.

Please point out what features are seperate apart from what I already listed.

Upvote 0
SKS has a bolt hold open feature that original AK's do not have. SKS has more complicated gas assembly while the AK47's is 2-3 parts including the gas tube. Recoil spring system is more complicated in the SKS than it is in the AK47. AK has a rotating bolt that the SKS doesn't have.

I don't doubt that Mr Kalashnikov used many things from other guns for his design but to say the AK47 is a SKS with a pistol grip is just idiotic.

Upvote 0
The SKS is the same gas system as the AK-47; the difference is that in the AK the parts have been combined. The bolt hold open feature is the result of the magazine in the SKS. On the AK-47 that's not necessary since detachable mags were used for it. The Recoil spring is no more complicated than that of the SKS and is attached to the same manner as the SKS with the bolt carrier. You've got a WASR or something similar?

Again, I never said the AK-47 is an SKS with a pistol grip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I remember someone who actually served in the army of the USSR telling me that one reason for the general reliability of the AK-47 was that the barrel is made from a single, extruded 'crystal' (that was the word he used - possibly his English wasn't good enough) rather than like a sheet which has been rolled around and joined at a seam.

Is this true? The guy's speciality was radio communications so it's possible he was talking out of the wrong end.

Upvote 0