• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Any chance of Mortars

Hiya guys.
Had a quick search but didn't see anything.
Anyone think that a mortar crew would be a good idea?
A team of say 3 guys with small arms but also a mortar which could be set up & fired either be the team leaders co-ordinates or the squad leaders request. Not as damaging as the arty but quick, mobile, in a more confined area & with more ammo. Would be great for the bigger maps especially if the infantry is being held up.
Imagine calling a mortar attack on a specific building knowing it'll be accurate & quick.
Cheers.
Rob

M-1939_1.jpg

http://www.carpathiancrosses.com/forum/index.php?topic=199

Problem solved.

Upvote 0
Yes, but it would be nice to see it on REAL Red Orchestra, not on that god dam mod. :p

well, obviously we have different definitions for "REAL".
You dont start CC seperatly, you just play the maps.
So basically, if someone creates a mapwith mortars in after our release, they are in. And tbh, from my experience with testing them, almost no RO map is suited for them.

Upvote 0
Yes, but it would be nice to see it on REAL Red Orchestra, not on that god dam mod. :p
CC is part of RO.

It's not really a mod, as you can play the CC maps from within vanilla RO.

I'm sure it won't be on official maps, or at least not any time soon.
But perhaps there's a chance it might be on custom maps, if the CC devs are friendly enough to distribute for free use in RO custom maps... ;)

Upvote 0
Great news guys. Looking forward to it. But what do mean by they not being suited to RO maps?

I'm not part of the mod, but if I had to guess I'd say it's because many of the RO maps don't have the range or open space to take advantage of them. The practical effect of mortars as firing indirectly is often handled in this game by our arty calls. In fact, I'd expect any map with mortars to have no arty for the side with the mortars, since the mortars themselves would be doing that job. For direct fire they'd be useful, but then you'd need decent range (IE: over 400m) and a clear line of sight to the target. Most RO maps don't have that, or to the extent they do, offer little to no cover for the mortar team.

Upvote 0
You do not need clear line of sight to fire a mortar. In fact you don't want to be in sight as you'll be taken out. You need the same as arty, co-ordinates.
I also don't agree that if you have mortars you don't have arty. 2 different things imho. You can't take a tank out or hit a large area with mortars.

Yes you can, if you have lotsa mortars. :D

A single artillery unit cant hit a very large area either.

Upvote 0