• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

• It's Great! Check it out...NOW!!!

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • It's just OK -- worth downloading but...

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • It sucks buckets...

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters
And also there is no info about the reinformencts left.

The game is actually very clear on reinforcements left. At the top of your screen, a little to the right of center, you can see a tiny wave icon. The number next to it indicates the amount of reinforcement waves left. Sometimes your team will have infinite reinforcements left, so there will be the infinity symbol instead of a number. Also, when your team gets low on reinforcements (5 or less respawns left) it gives a visual text notification something like "3 Reinforcement Waves Left!".

Upvote 0
I'm ATI and as far as I can tell, my fog consists of some mapper-placed sprites. If not sprites, then simplistic, oversized, individual volumetric particles. It's hard to tell sometimes, but it's clear that they're just individual points placed through the map, as you can move around and see that they're thickest at their centre and they're very obviously round. That's how it is in CSS and whatnot as well. The engine can't actually do real fog (though I believe they do try to use the special nVidia simulated fog for those cards).

As far as hitboxes are concerned, the Source engine has painfully inadequate hitdetection and it all stems from their insistence on trying to implement antilag devices. It's well intentioned, but the result is a complete pain in the arse. The main problem Ins has right now is that for reasons unknown, the game has shipped with a default cl_interp value of 0.017, which basically means it's set for 170ms ping. Even CS et al only have a default of 0.01 (still too damn high), but 0.017 is crazy. Since 90% of people are playing on low ping servers, they're able to fire behind a player and provided that they passed that point within the last 170ms, you'll score a hit. It's basically a safety buffer for players with poor aim or reaction time, which is not what it's SUPPOSED to be.

Valve could fix the problem by making it a dynamically updated value based on ping, but they don't care about their engine being useful for internet gaming. Just so long as it looks pretty.

Upvote 0
Since 90% of people are playing on low ping servers, they're able to fire behind a player and provided that they passed that point within the last 170ms, you'll score a hit. It's basically a safety buffer for players with poor aim or reaction time, which is not what it's SUPPOSED to be.
So that was what I was experiencing. Getting shot while I was safely behind cover is so frustrating. Anyway: nice first beta tho I think it's gameplay is between dod and RO: 70%-dodish - 30%-ROish.

Monk.

Upvote 0
Do you think it's worth to buy HL 2 19.99 just for this mod? Everyone have different answers on this question.

Well, if you want to get the same quality as RO from Ins for 19.99 then you're gonna get dissapointed, at least at the moment.
It's still beta, there are bugs and quite a lot of them i might add, but in general im liking it.
If however i had not allready owned HL2, and i played this mod over at a friend's house, i would not buy HL2 just for this mod. But maybe that's just me, because i WAS planning on buying UT2k4 for RO3.3 mod, untill i heard Ostfront wouldnt take to long getting on the shelves anymore.
Up to that point i played RO3.3 on a UT2k4 version of my friend.

Upvote 0
Do you think it's worth to buy HL 2 19.99 just for this mod? Everyone have different answers on this question.

Well, you could buy HL2: Episode 1 instead, which *should* be cheaper.

To those of you who say that the level design doesn't look like real cities, I beg to differ:

Oh, and I don't think the insurgent weapons are crap at all. The RPG and shotgun maybe, but the AK47 is very controllable on full auto, unlike the M4 Aimpoint... :D Both the AK and the RPK are a lot of fun to use... the RPK is like the PPsh of INS; perfect for spamming, except it's about as accurate as a rifle on semi-auto!

I'm really starting to like it. It still needs a LOT of work before it comes even near RO's fluid combat (and realism), but it has a lot of potential. If you try this mod, give it some time and keep an open mind. Look at the good things too.

Upvote 0
First of all, I think the INS mod team has done a damn fine job for a v1.0 release. As I've said (to the intense boredom of some), releasing ANYTHING at all makes you something special in the mod world.

However, I can't help but be amused at the predicament this team is going to find themselves in soon. A quick scan of the INS forums was like an intense deja vu injection: MORE REALISM! LESS REALISM, MORE FUN! VEHICLES! LEAN! etc, etc, etc. All the hard decisions the RO mod team was faced with and all the potential compromises, agonizing, arguments, and community feedback that comes with it.

Given the comments by the INS mod leadership about the direction RO has taken, it will be interesting to see how they deal with the same choices. It's no longer an intellectual exercise for them anymore, it's for real. :)

Upvote 0
I can't help but detect a small mental smirk there DingBat. ;)

Disaster, the low fps are due mainly to the detailed maps. They've gone overboard and while they look very pretty, they turn into a slide show on most PC's, including high powered ones. The problem seems to be a lack of optimisation and limitation. They've gone a little overboard in detail on things that don't need it as well as not utilising enough techniques for boosting performance. Now that they know just how crippling their levels are, I suspect the mappers will be sent to make amends.

Upvote 0
Well, you could buy HL2: Episode 1 instead, which *should* be cheaper.

To those of you who say that the level design doesn't look like real cities, I beg to differ:

Your screenshot does not look like a "real city" AT ALL. Or to be more precise - screenshot such as it is looks fine as postcard thanks to all those buildings in the background, but the map shown on the picture does not look or play real. Cramped, contrived, streets are not nearly wide enough, cars thrown around (I've never seen cars thrown around as if some giants played football with them?), squares (like the one on the pic above) ar far too small etc etc.

On some RO maps I feel as if I am in the realistically modelled virtual world, in INS I feel as if I am in the video game level (which is not always bad, but I already have that in CSS and COD2).

Upvote 0
First of all, I think the INS mod team has done a damn fine job for a v1.0 release. As I've said (to the intense boredom of some), releasing ANYTHING at all makes you something special in the mod world.

Kind of agree.

But this mod does have potential. Generic mechanics of the mod are just FUBARized. I believe that after some patches Ins might be in decent shape that the overallquality and such are hand-to-hand together. If not - well bummer.

All I can do now is wait and see what happens.

Upvote 0