• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Debrecen beta1

Keystone

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2007
Beacuse battles with Armored Beasts on maps like Orel and Black Day July which both are in 1943 (unbalanced for soviets) and are completely unplayable with AB I decided to make new big tank map which would be in 1944. At first I didn't know about mapping absolutely nothing, I even didn't know how to place a tree. But with some time I learnt how to do that all. I tested this map and I think all is working fine. If someone see some bugs let me know. But I'm afraid that this map will be failure like Road to Orel beacuse of his too big FPS. This map has many objects, it's a quite big, has a grass etc.
But if it will be working fine in next version I'll add new german camouflages, for now there are only old camouflages untill next version of AB, beacuse currently those new camouflages are not working with AB 2.065.

http://rapidshare.com/files/41203284/RO-Debrecen_B1.rar.html

Reactions: Kashash
Very cool map, this shows how the real tank battles were in WW2 (the AB mutator would be great on this map). It really needs your range guessing skills to do it. In a map like Arad the winner is the one who saw the enemy first, but here you need to hit a few pixels, and set ranges around 1km.
Though there were also some things I disliked, see for your self what your doing with it:

- some of the tree's are too green, a bit darker/desaturned would be nicer
- the objects are placed at too arcade/balanced places which makes it feel unrealistic, maybe you can find a map of the battle which would bring some ideas?
- I don't know a lot about Russian tank layouts but only 3 Panthers are really too few for the Germans, it was more a ratio of 50/50 of Panther/Panzer IVH (it doesnt unbalance it, those T34/85 and IS2's eat them like the Panzer IV's).

But next to that it's a great map, this is the way I always wanted it! Thanks for that :D

Upvote 0
It's running great guns (pun intended) on the <RTR> server at the moment. We've been having a ball in it. It's definitely a teamwork map. The only major change I'd like to see is moving spawns. If the spawns moved up after capturing certain objectives it'd mean a lot less drive time.

Upvote 0
I played this tonight it was good but I think you should take the grass out or knock it down quite a bit it really does not add anything when you are always in a tank. I would then add a feww tree patches with maybe some hidden APs inside same with some slight rises in the ground , hedge row or stone fence to hide a large AP Then I would add some more tree clumps and such for cover. Good job though it will make those tankers happy.

Upvote 0
I played this map for almost three hours earlier on today on a fully populated <RTR> server. Myself being a tanker, I am really glad to see a map with such long range firing opportunities. Its a fantastic feeling getting a kill on the enemy from over over a 1000 metres.

From a tactical sense of playing the map I think there needs to be a bit more bush type cover to enable a bit more hiding. I wouldn't want the map to get cluttered however with just random bush placement. The amount of vegetation is fine, I think if there were a few more clumps, which would have similar density of vegetation, to what you already have for the cap zones, then that would give an opportunity for some of the lesser tanks to have a chance of an ambush on some of the heavy tanks in the map.

I really enjoyed it though. The cap zones were transferring back and fore between allied and axis continuously. I would say the allies have the advantage from the start however, with the ability to get in the capzones first due to the speed of the T34.

A pet hate of mine, being a tanker, is the clown car and also the half track. There is no place for them on a tanker map. I assume this map is supposed to be for the tankers to enjoy, so I would ask you to reconsider the tank crewmen having these options. Clown cars and halftracks have no battle use on this map, and are just a nuisance to what would otherwise be an enjoyable tank battle.

Also, with the range of this map, there should never be a time that the battle gets down to a range that a satchel will be useful. By removing the satchel you will also ensure that us gamers don't get the spawn killers coming in, who just satchel in spawn, and get us all upset, whereby we then leave the server.

I like this so far though...

<RTR>Lt.Ricky.UK

www.righttorebel.net
Infantry: 74.53.113.107 Customs: 74.53.113.109 Tanks: 74.53.113.110 24/7 Danzig: 74.53.113.113

Upvote 0
- I don't know a lot about Russian tank layouts but only 3 Panthers are really too few for the Germans, it was more a ratio of 50/50 of Panther/Panzer IVH (it doesnt unbalance it, those T34/85 and IS2's eat them like the Panzer IV's).

There are 2 Panthers and 1 Tiger. I know that Panthers were so many as PzIVH but russian tanks were also much more so if you would like 5 Panthers + 5 PzIVH there should be also 30 T34/85 but it's impossible beacuse there aren't enough players, also teams are often not even. Besides this loadouts were set mainly for AB, there are a bit less german tanks than russians beacuse german tanks with AB really kick a** soviets with their better optics, more accurate guns etc.. However I've played this map today in a full server without AB and axis won the battle. So I think it's fine.

A pet hate of mine, being a tanker, is the clown car and also the half track. There is no place for them on a tanker map. I assume this map is supposed to be for the tankers to enjoy, so I would ask you to reconsider the tank crewmen having these options. Clown cars and halftracks have no battle use on this map, and are just a nuisance to what would otherwise be an enjoyable tank battle.

Also, with the range of this map, there should never be a time that the battle gets down to a range that a satchel will be useful. By removing the satchel you will also ensure that us gamers don't get the spawn killers coming in, who just satchel in spawn, and get us all upset, whereby we then leave the server.

OK I can do that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As you can see, this map got a big thumbs up from the <RTR> crowd. Nice work man, I loved the long range tanking, the 900 + meters kills were awesome. The fight was pretty well balanced as the caps were going back and forth quite a bit. I'd have to agree with Ricky tho in that this is a tankers map so pulling the clown car, half track and satchels would make it even more fun. Great job!

Upvote 0
I have played this map for another three hours this morning, as Axis and Allies. I think you have the loadouts of the tanks available to each side very well balanced. We are all new to the map so tactics arent really developed yet for it, but neither side has dominated the map in the games I have played, so the balance is good.

I would guess that one of your upcoming betas will deal with the spawn positioning on the map. It doesn't need tweaked loads, but I feel it does need to be moved a little.

Again, it was a very satisfying map for a tanker fan like myself.

<RTR>Lt.Ricky.UK
www.righttorebel.net
Infantry: 74.53.113.107 Customs: 74.53.113.109 Tanks: 74.53.113.110 24/7 Danzig: 74.53.113.113

Upvote 0
Loaded this on our Orel and AB servers last night and played around with a few guys on it. FPS seem good to me so I don't think it's going to be a repeat of Road to Orel.

I'm no history buff so I could less about some the things pointed out so far in the thread. The main points I agree with are: No clown cars/halftracks, no satchels, and moving spawns.

I think you have the next "big" thing when it comes to tank maps, a proper follow up to the original Orel.(No offense slashbot)

Upvote 0
Hi Keystone,

With reference to the spawn points. What I have found during the matches that I have played is that it is very rare and therefore difficult to hold all three capzones along the middle at the same time, usually only a couple of those capzones can be held at a time, as people will normally move to the next capzone thereby leaving the one already captured undefended. Again please bare in mind this is in a public server so organisation of the team is not usually as rigid as when in a clan match.

While I am capturing a free capzone in the middle section, the enemy are often capturing the one left behind.

As a result it is rare that all three are captured and held, and hence it takes longer to get back in the battle when you do respawn. This of course is the same for both axis and allies. I dont think it actually harms the map the way it is, as it gives an opportunity for a long tank battle, and with the spawns in their current positions the length of time of the map seems about right.

However, I do think that with the length of time of each map at the moment it can put players off from playing it. I know that I cannot stand playing the original version of Orel purely because of the long drive times from respawn. Some people like it - I dont. There are many other versions of Orel that I will play, which have the spawn points repositioned.

Therefore I feel that if the spawn points were moved forward a little after capping the village and either one of the east and west objectives then it would help reduce the length of time of the map, making the map more likely to win in a shorter timescale, which I think will make it more likely that players will play the map.

As mentioned I am a really keen tanker, so I am delighted with this fantastic map. I could do tank maps all day, and have played yours for a long period already.

What does everyone else think about the spawn time? Keystone has a really good map here. Does anyone else have an opinion on the spawn positions, or is it just me that is too impatient to get back in the fight, that thinks they are a wee bit too far? I will play again tonight and see if my opinion is the same. Thanks for considering my opinion Keystone.

<RTR>Lt.Ricky.UK

Upvote 0